Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information about Lake Fork and the surrounding area's. I'm looking for retirement property with good fishing nearby, A horse friendly area where we can get some acreage for the Wife but not to far from the Lake..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,288 times
Here is some information on Lake Fork. The thing to keep in mind is that Lake Fork is not really located close to any larger city. The closest thing would be Greenville to the north or Tyler to the south. For example the closest Wal Mart is about 25 miles. You can't beat the fishing.......but there are tons of lakes in the East Texas area. You might consider Mineola which is only about 20 to 25 minutes from Lake Fork and 25 minutes from Tyler. It would also offer access to I-20 and a clear shot to the DFW metroplex.

www.ets-systems.com/

Last edited by destin04; 12-31-2007 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Bump...................................

Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Lake Fork and Lake Tawakoni are both known for their excellent fishing and neighbor each other. We have a place on Tawakoni. You should not have any problem finding something close to or on the lake w/ acreage. Of course ON the lake w/ lake front property AND acreage is going to run you more. If you don't mind being right down from the lake then you will find acreage parcels for much less. Are you looking for some type of "planned" or "neighborhood" area or just what ever parcel comes up in the area? Several of the area towns that you can search in are: Emory, Point, Lone Oak, Quinlan, Caddo Mills, Wills Point, East Tawakoni, West Tawakoni, Millers Crossing. FYI, The nearest SuperWalmart is now MUCH closer than Greenville as there is a new one in Quinlan. Fortunately the Brookshires in Quinlan is still open and I hope it does stay open as I prefer it MUCH more than WW. You can be in Rockwall in 30-35 minutes where you can have your choice of shopping w/ a new Belks, JCPenney, Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, Walmart, etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
if you are looking for retirement you should also check into hospital systems--tyler has pretty good one and don't know about others areas...

Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
I have kinsfolks who live right outside Emory on a farm. Matter of fact have kinsfolks all over that area down there. It shouldn't be that hard to find what you're looking for and the fishing is great there at Lake Fork. We've caught crappie so big, it was hard to get them in the basket! Love it!

Good deep sandy soil, grow anything you want to plant. Love that too. Good people in the area.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
A lot of great fishing in Texas. One thing to note about Fork is the crowds. That can be said about ant of the lakes within a 2 hour drive of the Metromess (Dallas / Fort Worth). Fishing is good at Fork and the Tyler hospitals are top notch. Lots of stumps on the lake so it'll take you a while to learn the safer routes/boat lanes.

A couple of other choices for less crowded fishing would be Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn in East Tx and South Texas try Falcon and Amistad and closer to San Antonio Choke Canyon. All 5 of these have big fish potential, and are much less crowded than Fork. One other thing is these lakes are all big so a bigger boat is needed for safety. Many awesome lakes here in Texas. Horses will raise anywhere but the best pasturelands is in East Tx.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM

83 posts, read 189,715 times
The biggest problem I can see about getting further away from Lake Fork is it puts you that much closer to the next major lake. And there are smaller municipal lakes that don't get mentioned much, but they are there. I wouldn't be surprised to find it impossible to get much more than an hour away from decent fishing in the eastern third of Texas. If it's too much hassle to drive to em, hire a bulldozer for a day and put in a stocked pond. Works for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM

So far, unless there's a tournament, Lake Fork is not crowded at all....been going there around 4 times a month for the last few years. During the week you can pretty much have the run of the place.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM

By the way, if the guy that got drunk and lost his artificial leg wake-boarding on Lake Fork on the 4th of July reads this.......It ain't showed up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas