U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,654,099 times

Advertisements

How do you go about getting started in this? I have never done it before, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me what kind terrain or vegetation would be mostly likely to have them. I don't own any land so I'd have to find some place that looks likely, and then ask the landowner for permission which is why I'd like some advice on narrowing my search instead of getting permission to hunt somewhere with no idea if there are likely any javelinas there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 10:44 AM

10,834 posts, read 23,306,508 times
Do you mean Javelinas, or feral hogs? There is a big difference between these two species. Javelinas are found in south and west Texas, and although they do sometimes get overpopulated, they really aren't an invasive or problem species. Feral hogs, however, are found throughout the state, and they are very invasive and are very much a problem animal. They cause crop and property damage, breed very quickly, and travel in large packs. If you want to go "hog hunting" then you are most likely looking for feral hogs.

I would look for ads for hunting guides at local gun shops, or a local gun show. You might even go to the feed store in a nearby rural area, too. You could also look on Craig's List for your area, too.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 566,527 times
Default Javelina hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
How do you go about getting started in this? I have never done it before, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me what kind terrain or vegetation would be mostly likely to have them. I don't own any land so I'd have to find some place that looks likely, and then ask the landowner for permission which is why I'd like some advice on narrowing my search instead of getting permission to hunt somewhere with no idea if there are likely any javelinas there.
Howdy,

Javelinas are found in most of the state with the majority being found in the brush country of South Texas. In Texas, if you don't own the property or know someone who does, you will probably have a hard time finding a place to hunt. One place though is the Daughtrey Wildlife Area located northeast of Tilden, Texas. It is owned by the state and hunting is allowed there. A google search will probably lead you the the needed info.
F.Y.I., javelinas taste- wise, can run from gamey if prepared right, to down right horrible! A wild hog is a much better bet for the table. I have a friend that runs a guide service called Texas Wild who can set you up for a guided hunt for hogs and probably javelina also. He works out of Pleasanton, Texas.
Hope this helps. Good luck and happy hunting.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:30 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,317,519 times
There's javelina in Ozona area.I would get a rifle like a .243 Winchester maybe. I killed a javelina with one and it worked really well.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 11-09-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,654,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Do you mean Javelinas, or feral hogs? There is a big difference between these two species. Javelinas are found in south and west Texas, and although they do sometimes get overpopulated, they really aren't an invasive or problem species. Feral hogs, however, are found throughout the state, and they are very invasive and are very much a problem animal. They cause crop and property damage, breed very quickly, and travel in large packs. If you want to go "hog hunting" then you are most likely looking for feral hogs.

I would look for ads for hunting guides at local gun shops, or a local gun show. You might even go to the feed store in a nearby rural area, too. You could also look on Craig's List for your area, too.
Javelina. I like the idea of walking until you find them instead of sitting in a stand bored, and my freezr couldn't hold a whole hog either.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:51 AM
rwr

Default Walking

Here in South Texas we usually hunt javelinas from a vehicle; pickup, jeep, 4-wheeler, etc. Walking through brush can expose you to a javelina attack or being bit by one of our rattlesnakes.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 PM

16,791 posts, read 44,925,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
Here in South Texas we usually hunt javelinas from a vehicle; pickup, jeep, 4-wheeler, etc. Walking through brush can expose you to a javelina attack or being bit by one of our rattlesnakes.
Seems like a lazy way to hunt and may be illegal.

Quote:
PARKS AND WILDLIFE CODE CHAPTER 62. PROVISIONS GENERALLY APPLICABLE TO HUNTING

Sec. 62.003. HUNTING FROM VEHICLES. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), no person may hunt any wild bird or wild animal, other than an alligator, frog, or turtle, from any type of aircraft or airborne device, motor vehicle, powerboat, or sailboat, or from any other floating device.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 AM
rwr

Default Not illegal

If you are hunting on private property and not hunting from a public roadway, it is not illegal. Many hunters have their stands built on their jeeps, trucks and other vehicles. I have a friend who runs a guide service who hunts from their pick-ups and the Texas Game Wardens are well aware of it. In fact, since they do most of their hunting at night, they notify the Game Warden in advance so he will not think they are spot-lighting deer.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:54 AM

519 posts, read 689,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
If you are hunting on private property and not hunting from a public roadway, it is not illegal. Many hunters have their stands built on their jeeps, trucks and other vehicles. I have a friend who runs a guide service who hunts from their pick-ups and the Texas Game Wardens are well aware of it. In fact, since they do most of their hunting at night, they notify the Game Warden in advance so he will not think they are spot-lighting deer.
That sounds like such an unsporting way to hunt.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 PM

4,153 posts, read 8,612,735 times
Hunting ED card, Hunting license, rifle, and lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: