Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 11,688 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to TX from Indy. Please any recommendations. I can work remote, but want to be in commutable distance to a city with low unemployment (I work in IT for a bank), in case anything happens to my current job. Would prefer to spend <200K for a home in a neighborhood where ppl keep their place up and the houses are not on top of each other. I do not want to live in an area where there is a large population of legal or illegal immigrants from our Southern neighbors - I am not racist, I had my share and experience with that after 17 years in So Cal. I love the outdoors and heard the allergies and humidity can be extreme in Austin and Houston areas. I don’t have a big issue with allergies, but I know humidity can be stifling and it’s ok for awhile but not months on end. I am leaving Indy mostly due to the weather – always cold and overcast, plus I have always wanted to live in TX. Last research brought me to the northern part of Dallas, like the Richardson area. Suggestions, good and bad, are welcome.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:24 PM

748 posts, read 1,470,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnlooking View Post
Thinking of moving to TX from Indy. Please any recommendations. I can work remote, but want to be in commutable distance to a city with low unemployment (I work in IT for a bank), in case anything happens to my current job. Would prefer to spend <200K for a home in a neighborhood where ppl keep their place up and the houses are not on top of each other. I do not want to live in an area where there is a large population of legal or illegal immigrants from our Southern neighbors - I am not racist, I had my share and experience with that after 17 years in So Cal. I love the outdoors and heard the allergies and humidity can be extreme in Austin and Houston areas. I don’t have a big issue with allergies, but I know humidity can be stifling and it’s ok for awhile but not months on end. I am leaving Indy mostly due to the weather – always cold and overcast, plus I have always wanted to live in TX. Last research brought me to the northern part of Dallas, like the Richardson area. Suggestions, good and bad, are welcome.
Strike Texas off your list. The Mexicans were here before the white folk, and Mexican culture is a part of Texas culture. Legal and illegal immigration has always been a part of Texas, and the population shows it. If you want a white neighborhood, you are gonna be hard pressed to find it regardless of what price range you are looking at.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:06 AM

232 posts, read 358,202 times
I agree with losttechnician, if you have a list and "Texas" is on it- grab a permanent marker and scribble over "Texas" until the word is no longer visible... Not sure what type of experience you have had with "Mexicans" (I assume you meant Latinos) but I would advise you give these people another chance in Texas... Just so you know (If you are into politics), Texas has one of the largest (or the largest?) concentration of conservative Hispanics in the U.S.A. ... I can relate with you with what experience you are referring to, trust me (well here in the Northside of FW which is mostly Hispanic) not that many people are like your stereotypical illegal (or legal) Latino... Here in my area, we have a neighbor who has parties each week... lots of drinking... loud music that starts at 12:00AM and ends at 4:00AM... wannabe thugs who waste loads of money on cars... but most people in the area (who are Hispanic like myself) dislike those who can't be respectful of other neighbors or the area... Most neighbors just call the cops and try to keep annoying/disrespectful people in control... (BTW if you're asking how do I know that most of my neighbors call the cops, and dislike people like my neighbor... well lets just say that everyone in the area knows everyone... the whole "we are one big family" is a true stereotype with us Hispanics ._. >off topic< I meant this literally, even if we don't know someone (who is Hispanic), we will still act as if we've known them for years and just go up to them and start long conversation that starts off like "Hey how's it going?!, insert random 10min-1hour conversation here"...)

I know I am just repeating what LT said... but remember... Texas is bordered with Mexico, Mexican traditions are infused with Texas (Like it or not), Tex-Mex food, etc.

Allergies... if you have strong allergies I would advise you avoid North TX (DFW), this is one of the worst areas in the U.S.A. to have seasonal allergies, my doctor even told me once that if you want your allergies to go away then move... I though he was joking and laughed- he replied "I wasn't joking"

Now for the weather...
If you like the following things (of course these vary by the season):
-Thunderstorms
-Super Cell storms
-Rainstorms
-Hail
-Tornadoes
-Snow storms
-Thunder snow
-Ice storms
-Dust storms
-Strong winds (as in they cause trees to bend halfway and are strong enough to prevent you from walking or opening doors *associated without tornadoes*)

...then you will like it here, you literally get the whole package when it comes to mother nature's wrath, I'll admit it, I actually find both calm and chaotic weather here entertaining.

Remember the southern portion of TX (leaning towards where Houston is) is very humid (Supposedly it is humid all the way up into Austin), North TX as in the Dallas-Fort Worth area tends to be hot and dry during the summer and cold and dry during the winter. So yeah... (If I got any info here that isn't correct then don't go off on me, just correct it in the comments section @any person who finds any inaccurate information on my post)

Last edited by Texan1010; 11-29-2014 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: I just felt like typing some words in bold...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 11,688 times
Mexicans were not in Texas or Northern Mexico before the white folk, but I appreciate your response. First there were the indigenous people, then in the 1500's entered European explorers.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 PM

336 posts, read 439,792 times
Quote:
Mexicans were not in Texas or Northern Mexico before the white folk, but I appreciate your response. First there were the indigenous people, then in the 1500's entered European explorers.
I agree with what everyone else has said so far. Texas was Mexico first before it was a state in the republic. If you have an issue with latinos or legal/illegal immigrants, then cross Texas off your list as we have the highest percentage of hispanics right behind Cali. Also, Mexicans were in this area before settlers from the United States came, i suggest you read up on your Texas history.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,744,708 times
lostnlooking, I agree with others who suggest that you are wrong....and that you shouldn't move to Texas.

Quote:
- Who were Spanish.
- Who cavorted with the locals over the next 200 years.
- Which resulted in a "Mexican population" (consisting of a majority Meztizo population & minority Spanish population).
- Some of whom moved up from Mexico into Tejas (along with other immigrants) & lived in Tejas. (along with the Indians).
- All of whom were already here when Stephen Austin & others started coming to Tejas at the Mexican Govt's invitation.

Many Meztizos & Spanish (by then they were all considered Mexicans &/or Texicans) fought along side the newly arrived "white folk" against the evil emperor Santa Ana when Texas earned it's Independence. They were here before the "white folk" arrived.

As a white dude & a Texan, it's my opinion that anyone who doesn't enjoy & look forward to embracing the hundreds of great benefits of living in a Tex-Mex culture.... (food, music, arts, architecture, love of family, wonderful people, etc. etc. etc....& did I say food?)..... has NO business moving to Texas.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:05 PM

215 posts, read 349,441 times
Two things that need to be understood. Firstly, nobody knows who arrived, in what is now Texas,first.
Secondly, Texas likes writing its version of revisionist history.
Illegals - we should have an open season on them.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:08 PM

748 posts, read 1,470,996 times
Quote:
Disagree all you want to, but you are still wrong. Indigenous people were here first no doubt, I never said or claimed otherwise. The point was not who was here first, however the lands that are now Texas were populated by Mexicans before the white folk came to populate it. That is just the way it was, and always has been.

The lands that are now Texas belonged to Mexico before Texas won it's independence from Mexico. Texas' colorful history as a nation and a state is a tapestry woven with colors of Mexican culture, down to naming of towns, cities, counties, and even a few Hispanic names on Texas' Declaration of Independence.

Mexican culture is a part of the very fabric of Texas.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,150,662 times
OP have you considered Austin? Though rent is high due to the short supply of housing, and having huge population growth. Also Austin has a very low unemployment rate (4%) but there's always competition from people that are moving here in droves as I stated above. Now far as illegal aliens, there all over Texas but with a small percentage that live in the Austin area, atleast from what I've seen.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
Quote:
What do you think Mexicans are?

Anyway, like the others have said, I just don't think you are really Texas material. It's a unique region of LONG shared cultures which is not like other parts of the USA. If you cannot handle that, or even understand where the people came from, you'll be miserable here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas