Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:03 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Thought this was an interesting but peculiar list... like to hear what Texans think of it.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2014 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 05:11 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I live in Midland and the quality of life sure has gone downhill.There's so much traffic and crowds.However, I still think Midland is a wonderful place to live and I am happy that it is my hometown.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:45 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Odd list. I doubt many would put more than a couple towns/cities that are on this list in their "top ten".

1. City of Fredericksburg - Probably belongs on the list, but MUCH cheaper pretty small towns to live in.

2. City of Midland- Expensive, Crowded & ugly countryside. Only reason to live there would be if you had a high paying job. Wouldn't be in my top 50.

3. City of Levelland - Nice little town in the panhandle. But it's in the panhandle so not in my top 20.
4. City of Hereford - See Levelland.
5. City of Odessa - See Midland (except worse schools & worse place to live).
6. City of Pampa - See Levelland & Hereford.
7. City of Hewitt- Suburb of Waco. Good Schools. Maybe top 10 worthy, but it IS greater Waco.
8. CDP of New Territory - Never heard of it.
9. City of Hutto - A city carved out of a cow pasture. Cheapest "OK" place to live in greater Austin. But wouldn't make my "top 10 cities in Greater Austin"
10. City of Sugar Land - An up & coming suburb in greater Houston. Maybe top 10 worthy, but only if you worked in SW Houston.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
There are dozens of small towns & suburbs I'd put ahead of these.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:06 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Odd list. I doubt many would put more than a couple towns/cities that are on this list in their "top ten".

1. City of Fredericksburg - Probably belongs on the list, but MUCH cheaper pretty small towns to live in.

2. City ofMidland - Expensive, Crowded & ugly countryside. Only reason to live there would be if you had a high paying job. Wouldn't be in my top 50.

3. City of Levelland - Nice little town in the panhandle. But it's in the panhandle so not in my top 20.
4. City of Hereford - See Levelland.
5. City of Odessa - See Midland (except worse schools & worse place to live).
6. City of Pampa - See Levelland & Hereford.
7. City of Hewitt- Suburb of Waco. Good Schools. Maybe top 10 worthy, but it IS greater Waco.
8. CDP of New Territory - Never heard of it.
9. City of [Hutto - A city carved out of a cow pasture. Cheapest "OK" place to live in greater Austin. But wouldn't make my "top 10 cities in Greater Austin"
10. City ofSugar Land - An up & coming suburb in greater Houston. Maybe top 10 worthy, but only if you worked in SW Houston.
Moderator cut: links removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
There are dozens of small towns & suburbs I'd put ahead of these.
Great input thank you. I thought the same thing about some of those cities but , I do not live there and have not visited them, therefore didnt feel it was my place to say. What is it about the panhandle that you give low marks to? Would be interested in your top 10 and why.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:43 PM

227 posts, read 385,620 times
Hewitt?? That tells me everything I need to know about this list! Hewitt is a suburb of Waco and it should be far from any sensible person's top 10.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Hereford and Pampa are flat, smelly (cattle feedlots), freezing cold in the winter, and much too far away from civilization to be a where close to my Top 10...

Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Good Grief?!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:49 PM

554 posts, read 745,177 times
I think the "list" gives someone lots of places to lookup on a map, and (maybe) decide for themselves about whether or not they would even consider any of the towns / cities on it.
Just because you (or anyone) don't like a place, doesn't mean that someone coming from another state wouldn't like a particular place, and want to include it in a "discovery tour" ...
Maybe they could make their own "Top Ten" list of places they'd like to consider moving to, based on information in the larger list.
Y' just can't tell about some folks!

Thanks! ... TC

Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
I think the "list" gives someone lots of places to lookup on a map, and (maybe) decide for themselves about whether or not they would even consider any of the towns / cities on it.
Just because you (or anyone) don't like a place, doesn't mean that someone coming from another state wouldn't like a particular place, and want to include it in a "discovery tour" ...
Maybe they could make their own "Top Ten" list of places they'd like to consider moving to, based on information in the larger list.
Y' just can't tell about some folks!

Thanks! ... TC
Very much agreed. While there are many places I love in my home state, I'm living in the only area I'd consider, even with all the downsides.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Most of these are awful. They could just as well have included Dalhart, Dumas, Kermit, and Morton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas