U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 11:36 AM

26 posts, read 32,780 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocation and while trying to decide on a city I am curious as to what cities anyone would recommend (or what areas in cities) for minimal car use? I will be relocating from Florida and everything requires just about at least 10 minutes of driving to at least 45 minutes of driving. I realize living somewhere that I will never need a car is unreasonable but it would be nice to be able to go to dinner or a bar or pick up some supplies for home or anything like that without always have to get in the car. Anyone have any recommendations in the Dallas/Austin area where this would be possible? Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 PM

4,612 posts, read 5,100,359 times
Uptown Dallas, downtown Austin, downtown-ish area of Houston, or nearby a college in Lubbock, Houston, or College Station might meet your needs. I'll speak for Dallas the most, as I have the most experience with it, but with DART (train) and a rising uptown/downtown population, you can easily live there and not use a car much, if at all. There are grocery stores, retail, and bars within walking distance.

However to speak more generally, if you pick a place close to your work, then you will drive much less, and will only use your car for random errands, which is much more pleasant. I do that in the low-density north Dallas suburbs, and it's easily possible. I have small children, so we do use a car quite often, but not two cars. Mine sits in the garage and I start in once every few weeks to keep the battery up, doing most of my commuting by bike.

Of course riding a bike or walking to work is very much dependent on the type of work you do. You can't run a plumbing company off a bike. You can easily be a doctor or in IT with a bike.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Uptown Dallas, downtown Austin, downtown-ish area of Houston, or nearby a college in Lubbock, Houston, or College Station might meet your needs. I'll speak for Dallas the most, as I have the most experience with it, but with DART (train) and a rising uptown/downtown population, you can easily live there and not use a car much, if at all. There are grocery stores, retail, and bars within walking distance.

However to speak more generally, if you pick a place close to your work, then you will drive much less, and will only use your car for random errands, which is much more pleasant. I do that in the low-density north Dallas suburbs, and it's easily possible. I have small children, so we do use a car quite often, but not two cars. Mine sits in the garage and I start in once every few weeks to keep the battery up, doing most of my commuting by bike.

Of course riding a bike or walking to work is very much dependent on the type of work you do. You can't run a plumbing company off a bike. You can easily be a doctor or in IT with a bike.
well I will be primarily be going to school at the UT Dallas once I move. I realize that its about a 20 minute drive from the uptown area. Driving to school is not idea but I would prefer to have to drive to school and be living in an area where I can walk out my front door and enjoy the neighborhood and walk to restaurants and bars and what not.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,659,399 times
Just for my own curiosity, I checked DART for a trip from Uptown to UT Dallas. I checked from City Place, which is the rail line stop just across US75 from Uptown. City Place is easily accessible by foot or bus from Uptown and... there is a Target over there. There is an entry on the Uptown side that crosses below the freeway. It's a nice underground.

The rail stops at Bush Turnpike Station, on US75, that is, that would be your stop. And then a bus ride into UTD. You can see the route at the link above by entering the origin as City Place (the link will find the station) and the destination as UTDallas (again, DART knows where that is). I'm less than vaguely familiar with the campus so I can't provide detail.

Looks like travel time is 56 minutes which seems a long time, though it is a bit of a journey. Google map shows about a 20 minute drive with no traffic.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 5,100,359 times
Quote:
well I will be primarily be going to school at the UT Dallas once I move.
You mean UT Dallas in Richardson, on Campbell, etc? If you mean that one (there are multiple UT Dallas campuses), . they are currently building a new student complex on the north side of the school, called something like Comet town. Not sure when it will be done. It is supposed to be apartments, retail, and student -oriented night life. There are tons of apartments in that area and lots of major retail on Coit Road.

You can also live on Campbell & 75 or Renner & 75 in the new State Farm complex, there is DART rail to downtown Dallas and you can ride to campus via bus or bicycle. It's 1-2 miles, and people regularly bike that route.

The only thing really missing in that area is 'fun'; there is not much in terms of adult entertainment (bars, clubs, etc). That's all downtown Dallas.

You can try asking in the Dallas forum and get more specific advice than I can offer about that area.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Just for my own curiosity, I checked DART for a trip from Uptown to UT Dallas. I checked from City Place, which is the rail line stop just across US75 from Uptown. City Place is easily accessible by foot or bus from Uptown and... there is a Target over there. There is an entry on the Uptown side that crosses below the freeway. It's a nice underground.

The rail stops at Bush Turnpike Station, on US75, that is, that would be your stop. And then a bus ride into UTD. You can see the route at the link above by entering the origin as City Place (the link will find the station) and the destination as UTDallas (again, DART knows where that is). I'm less than vaguely familiar with the campus so I can't provide detail.

Looks like travel time is 56 minutes which seems a long time, though it is a bit of a journey. Google map shows about a 20 minute drive with no traffic.
thanks for the info! I'm going to go ahead and check out the route!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
You mean UT Dallas in Richardson, on Campbell, etc? If you mean that one (there are multiple UT Dallas campuses), . they are currently building a new student complex on the north side of the school, called something like Comet town. Not sure when it will be done. It is supposed to be apartments, retail, and student -oriented night life. There are tons of apartments in that area and lots of major retail on Coit Road.

You can also live on Campbell & 75 or Renner & 75 in the new State Farm complex, there is DART rail to downtown Dallas and you can ride to campus via bus or bicycle. It's 1-2 miles, and people regularly bike that route.

The only thing really missing in that area is 'fun'; there is not much in terms of adult entertainment (bars, clubs, etc). That's all downtown Dallas.

You can try asking in the Dallas forum and get more specific advice than I can offer about that area.
Yes that is the specific campus I was referencing, sorry for not being more specific!

That all sounds so wonderful. I love the idea of being able to bike to school. I was hoping to maybe live closer to downtown for more available adult entertainment and walkability and then maybe drive to school (if public transportation would take too long). But I will definitely be considering the opposite as well, just living closer to campus and traveling to downtown when we want to.

Everything I keep reading is so new to me, there are so many options.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:56 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,659,399 times
The suggestion from TheOverdog is good. You could live closer to campus and take the DART rail to City Place. From there you can get around Uptown on the M-Line trolley... map at the link. Or just go on to downtown.

If bicycling is your thing then check out the Greater Dallas Bicyclists. Be sure to check the 'Events' calendar. I used to ride with the Saturday morning 'East Going Ride'. Norma Lou knew her way around Dallas and showed us places one would never know of otherwise. A few of us also once met up with her in Holland for a week of bike riding.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 AM

10,877 posts, read 23,467,773 times
If you are in graduate school, it will be good for you to live close to campus so you will have more time to study, use the library, etc. You will have more opportunities to live in a "fun" place after you graduate.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
The suggestion from TheOverdog is good. You could live closer to campus and take the DART rail to City Place. From there you can get around Uptown on the M-Line trolley... map at the link. Or just go on to downtown.

If bicycling is your thing then check out the Greater Dallas Bicyclists. Be sure to check the 'Events' calendar. I used to ride with the Saturday morning 'East Going Ride'. Norma Lou knew her way around Dallas and showed us places one would never know of otherwise. A few of us also once met up with her in Holland for a week of bike riding.
very cool thanks! i'll check them out. That sounds pretty awesome. It definitely seems like I need to do some reading and exploring with getting around on the DART. Public transpiration is so uncommon down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas