Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 PM

336 posts, read 441,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I'm not going to disagree that Beaumont is a fairly undesirable place to live, but I am going to question the legitimacy of your post. First of all, who exactly did this "rankng", and what's the source? Also, what category was it being ranked in? Texas? The nation? I can think of more than a few other small metros in Texas that are pretty much just as equally "sad" and "uneducated" as Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange.

And what do you mean by "If you google beaumont, you should find it". If I Google any place, I will "find it". Please elaborate.

Lastly, you claim that Cajun culture "sucks". What about it sucks so much? The food? The music? The fun-loving, laid back attitudes? I'm not a Cajun, but I know a few, and they're really good people, with a much more rich and unique culture than your average hillbilly. IMO, the Cajun culture of far-Southeast TX is one of the area's most positive attributes.
That is what I was saying. You can google, "Beaumont, saddest city" and find all your answers there. It was also randed, most uneducated for cities of its size, worst place to raise a family..etc.

The cajuns that I meet do not have fun loving laid back attitudes unless you think like them and are caucasian. Anything that deviates from their norm is looked at with disdain and suspicion. If people want that culture so much, go to Louisiana, the last time I checked tho, this was Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Beaumont sucks, it's really ugly. The only upside is they actually know how to cook Cajun food there and it's close to the border with Louisiana. But why live in Louisiana-lite when you could live in Lake Charles which has a much better culture and is far prettier.

That's not an upside, sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNinia View Post
That is what I was saying. You can google, "Beaumont, saddest city" and find all your answers there. It was also randed, most uneducated for cities of its size, worst place to raise a family..etc.

The cajuns that I meet do not have fun loving laid back attitudes unless you think like them and are caucasian. Anything that deviates from their norm is looked at with disdain and suspicion. If people want that culture so much, go to Louisiana, the last time I checked tho, this was Texas.
And Texas shares some of that culture, whether you like it or not.

And, I did your little Google search. It kept directing me to a link about some "study" done by the University of Vermont, with Twitter prose of all things being used as the criteria for said study. I'm sure Beaumont is a very sad town. I'd probably slit my wrists if I were forced to live there, but I've personally found many other small metros in Texas to be equally sad and overall uneducated. I'm not defending Beaumont here. It is what it is. I'm simply pointing out that it's far from being the only miserable and ugly small city in Texas or in the nation.

Quote:
That's not an upside, sorry
You hate Cajun food? Oh well. Many, many people love Cajun food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Beaumont sucks, it's really ugly. The only upside is they actually know how to cook Cajun food there and it's close to the border with Louisiana. But why live in Louisiana-lite when you could live in Lake Charles which has a much better culture and is far prettier.
Literally laughing at the idea that Lake Charles is "far prettier" than Beaumont. That's a good one. It's a bit like saying "Phoenix has far hotter summers than Las Vegas".

Both Lake Charles and Beaumont are equally ugly and toxic. Basically carbon-copies of each other that happen to be in different states. The only advantage LC has over Beaumont is legal gaming. Other than that, they might as well be the same city.

Now, if you had said Lafayette, your post might have had a bit more credibility.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 12-14-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:

And, I did your little Google search. It kept directing me to a link about some "study" done by the University of Vermont, with Twitter prose of all things being used as the criteria for said study. I'm sure Beaumont is a very sad town. I'd probably slit my wrists if I were forced to live there, but I've personally found many other small metros in Texas to be equally sad and overall uneducated. I'm not defending Beaumont here. It is what it is. I'm simply pointing out that it's far from being the only miserable and ugly small city in Texas or in the nation.

Literally laughing at the idea that Lake Charles is "far prettier" than Beaumont. That's a good one. It's a bit like saying "Phoenix has far hotter summers than Las Vegas".

Both Lake Charles and Beaumont are equally ugly and toxic. Basically carbon-copies of each other that happen to be in different states. The only advantage LC has over Beaumont is legal gaming. Other than that, they might as well be the same city.

Now, if you had said Lafayette, your post might have had a bit more credibility.
Oh you forgot most uneducated too! And well, agree to disagree on the cajun/texas part. Texas used to be mexico, hence tex-mex, but texas was never france so..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Oh you forgot most uneducated too! And well, agree to disagree on the cajun/texas part. Texas used to be mexico, hence tex-mex, but texas was never france so..
I'm very well aware of Texas' history. That still doesn't change the fact that Cajun culture bleeds over state lines, and besides, it's really only just a few counties in the extreme Southeast corner of the state where you'll experience any kind of Cajun presence. I see you have a big hate-on for Cajuns, but don't worry. Unless you live in that little corner of Texas you probably won't ever have to deal with their horrible, annoying culture.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:

This is downtown Lake Charles (Bord Du Lac Park). You call that ugly?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...b98dd6b9a77382

Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Yes, I'd have to agree that Lake Charles is more attractive than Beaumont, but the differences are in no way drastic. Both cities are still in the same geographic and cultural region. It's no different than most areas of Texas where you'll have an "ugly" town and a "prettier" town just a few miles down the road from each other.

For the most part, everything looks the same from Beaumont to LaPlace.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:51 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Quote:
Texas used to be mexico, hence tex-mex, but texas was never France so..
Uhhh. No. Texas was also a part of France, in the 1600s. France's influence was shorter and therefore much smaller, but it's definitely there.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Uhhh. No. Texas was also a part of France, in the 1600s. France's influence was shorter and therefore much smaller, but it's definitely there.
Source? Oh wait, i already did your work for you. ONE settlement for 3- 5 years is a blip in time. This place was New Spain and Mexico way longer. I wouldnt say 5 years is a reason for all of east texas to be cajun territory.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Source? Oh wait, i already did your work for you. ONE settlement for 3- 5 years is a blip in time. This place was New Spain and Mexico way longer. I wouldnt say 5 years is a reason for all of east texas to be cajun territory.
Texas was part of Mexico for about 15 years, I think. And during that time East Texas was mostly nothing but vast forest. Texas was part of New Spain, but so was Louisiana, the rest of the Gulf Coast and Florida.

Beamont is 47% Black and like 13% Hispanic, and I'm pretty sure that number is largely made up of recent immigrants. Southeast Texas isn't Louisiana, but you'll hear far more zydeco than you will Tejano. You need to go about four hours west for "Tex Mex", and Beaumont is closer to New Orleans than it is San Antonio.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Quote:
Actually, parts of North Texas and most of the panhandle were part of the Louisiana Purchase (ie. under French colonial rule) for 63 years. The catch is that those parts of Texas were never actually settled by any French colonists during that entire time.

The only part of TX that ever was settled by French colonists was the Matagorda Bay area, by La Salle, because he got lost and thought he was in Louisiana. His group settled there anyway, but were extremely unsuccessful in making their settlement last more than a few years, due to multiple epidemics and constant attacks from hostile Karankawas.

So yeah, Texas never had any major historical French colonization the way Louisiana did, but my earlier point had nothing to do with any of that. The context in which I was speaking was a more current and modern one, the point being that in the last century or so Cajun culture has bled over from Louisiana into a small corner of Texas. Another poster provided a great point that Cajun culture is much more prominent in BPA than Tejano, or "Tex-Mex" culture is. Beaumont shares more in common with Southern Louisiana than it does with the rest of Texas... kind of like how El Paso shares more in common with New Mexico than it does with the rest of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas