Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM

107 posts, read 153,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well, you and most other folks who actually know very little about the city, but that's neither here nor there.
Hey, look. I have nothing serious against Houston. I do not nothing, never been there, as I never been to any other American city!

There are just some cities, lands, parts of the world, when you see on the map, watch photos of them and have in mind "just no". I do not try to say Houston is bad. Probably it is one of the best or the best city to those who live there, it is beatifull, has many magnificient people, etc.

I am sure it has. But I just look on the map of Texas and I am totally with Dallas, not that Gulf Coast metropolis.

I also personally dislike Peterburg, you know it under name of either, St. Petersburg or Leningrad. And I love Moscow, despite all reason arguments of cost of living, crime, etc.

Does it mean in any case habitant of Peterburg is inferior to Muskovite? No at all. Many of them, probably better, many worse.

But I will have my little affilations, biases and prejudices.

And if you ask, where to go in Texas? I'll say leave that stupid Houston, Galveston, etc., never under any reason go for Austin, and Dallas is the way to go.

I have nothing at all against Austin, Galveston, etc.

But you know, when you can choose flavor, you do it, you may chose chococalte, for instance, cause you like it, and it does not mean that vanila is lethal for health.

verybadgnome - I am astonished by this map. But unlike you, beacuse I see not as that humid coast as I thought of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,568,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
Hey, look. I have nothing serious against Houston. I do not nothing, never been there, as I never been to any other American city!
Quote:
And if you ask, where to go in Texas? I'll say leave that stupid Houston, Galveston, etc., never under any reason go for Austin, and Dallas is the way to go.

See the contradiction?

Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,743,115 times
Quote:
And there we have it.

I think you at least owe it to a place to visit it first before you make up your mind about it. That's fair, right? Dallas may look better to you in pictures, but you might end up despising everything else about the place. That happens more often than you think.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

See the contradiction?
No. There is no contradiction. Not even a trace of it.

You think I was serious with this stupid? Like I said.

When it comes to decide what flavor of ice cream will you choose, you will think you are disrespetful of vanila in choosing chocolate? Calm down. No pun intended.

Quote:
And there we have it.

I think you at least owe it to a place to visit it first before you make up your mind about it. That's fair, right? Dallas may look better to you in pictures, but you might end up despising everything else about the place. That happens more often than you think.
Of course!

Maybe I could even better live in Austin, than Dallas. Maybe I will never meet any person from Dallas, and will meet bunch of good fellas from Austin and Houston And what? Nothing, I tell you, I read the map, and I like Houston, just like I read the map of all U.S. and just like Misissippi. Do I know of poverty? I know. Do I know of batpistsm, which I do not share? I know! Do I know about any other not as good thing in Misissippi? Of many of them, I know. But I like it more, than say, Alabama. Nothing against Alabama I have.

It is not according to any reason, expereince, so on. I've just posted in very unserious manner, that I do not prefer, like Houston personally at the moment. It may be most magnificent city on Earth.

But one person likes chocolate, other vanilla... One favors New England Patriots over Houston Texans. And Houston residents is going to lynch him? I do not understand your posts.

You are posting, like I was serious in my statements.
And if I haven't been to any of U.S. cities, how can I be serious about disliking any of them? You, my friends, have made a mountain out of a molehill.

Long live Houston and Austin, alongside them Dallas and Moscow and Peterburg, Russia, and Petersburg, both Florida and Virginia. Bu I will still prefer Dallas and Moscow other them. I won't cry () over Houston. You, dwellers of Houston, have to be fine with the fact I dislike you

Old 12-19-2014, 05:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,046,456 times
Quote:
And there we have it.

I've been to Houston.

Rather live in Fargo.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:35 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,743,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I've been to Houston.

Rather live in Fargo.
Good for you. I don't care.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,126,959 times
Been to fargo. Much rather live in Houston.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,568,956 times
Quote:
No. There is no contradiction. Not even a trace of it.

You think I was serious with this stupid? Like I said.

When it comes to decide what flavor of ice cream will you choose, you will think you are disrespetful of vanila in choosing chocolate? Calm down. No pun intended.
I'm guessing English isn't your first language. If it is, then you are seriously confused. If you fail to see the very obvious contradiction in your earlier post, then you're just being willfully ignorant. However, I think what's happened here is we've stumbled on to a language barrier. Unless the word "stupid" means something different where you live. In the English speaking world it's very much an insult. So, if you claim you have "nothing personal" against a place (be it Houston or anywhere else), but then turn around and call that place "stupid", and then fail to see how that's a contradiction of terms... well, I don't know what to tell you.

I just don't see why it's necessary to go on about your dislike of ANY city in a thread that's supposed to be about the misconception of Texas being one giant desert. Personally, I could care less if you like Houston or not. I'm not trying to sell you on Houston. You've never even been there, so your opinion of the place doesn't mean much anyway. I just can't help but notice how you contradict yourself. I saw you do this in another thread in a different forum as well.

If you don't fully grasp the English language, that's fine... but before you say certain things, intentionally or not, that could be construed as insulting, may I suggest that you ask first if that's the right way to say it? I know I certainly wouldn't want to post in a forum that's full of people who speak a different language and accidentally insult them by calling their home city "stupid". Especially when I have never even been there.

And for the record, I'm perfectly calm. Just because I'm pointing out your contradictions doesn't mean I'm foaming at the mouth. Quit being so defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I've been to Houston.

Rather live in Fargo.
Then you go do that.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,126,959 times
Yeah, for me, i couldnt careless if anyone doesnt like Houston or Dallas or St. Petersberg or whatever...it just really did seem like he/she said Houston is stupid..lol...which, if it is, it is - oh well...but its moreso just a matter of saying what you mean, and meaning what you say...its just weird to seemingly go out of your way to call a place stupid (anyplace...Houston, Timbuktu, or wherever) if thats not what you meant..again, it doesnt matter either way, but clarity between participants is key in internet discussions

Old 12-19-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing English isn't your first language.
Exactly. English is my, in fact, third language. One ways of improving it with people, not only learning is my posting on this forum.

Quote:
However, I think what's happened here is we've stumbled on to a language barrier.
Well, not exactly. I think it is more cultural gap. I know that stupid is an insult.

Quote:
Unless the word "stupid" means something different where you live.
And this is the point. It means the same (in translation). But it is used in more ways than only one (as an insult). Look, maybe I should use word "silly" (as a sign that I am not insulting, but friendly quarelling ). When I write abour cultural gap, I mean that calling someobody "stupid", where I live, it can be used in jokes (which I was trying to do, I am sorry to Houstounians, I failed!), it can be used to litlle disagrements (in nor formal way). And also, I live in tradition, or culture, where people are fairl and staunchly hard-skinned, we are tough when it comes to words, we not hold against someone when being by him called stupid, cause we use even nastier, far more insulting words every day against many, many places, poeple and so on and even this we do not hold as fatal insults (because maybe of totalitarian history and nearly constant wars or cruel regimes we are somewhat immune to any slurs, which we have been fed, unlike I think, America, when you are going to start a riot by calling a colored man on the n word). From where I live, we are strong opinion, strong language people, so I apologize to being stupid enough to transfer my cultural environment to yours and thinking it will be working. I experienced this in one topic, when I was very mildly (from my point of view, I agree it was wrong to not alter my language to Americans) and people was thinkig that I was bashing the U.S., when I was making a light praise of them.

So I, again, feel sorry for the mess I caused. But let us go non.

Quote:
I just don't see why it's necessary to go on about your dislike of ANY city in a thread that's supposed to be about the misconception of Texas being one giant desert.
Well, I was just about in my previous post to write to something like "let us stop this rubbish about liking, disliking", but I have caused it, so I remained silent. I just encourage other readers to overlook stupid mess (that's the porper way to use this word) I caused, I agree with quotation and let post something on the thread, Dear Reader, if you like.

It was just off topic, by the way. As much like in other thread I said I like Indianapolis. Never been there, if I ever be it may destroy my view of it. But I just have some feelings about certain cities.

Quote:
You've never even been there, so your opinion of the place doesn't mean much anyway.
You are never going to admit that I was just joking, will ya?

I
Quote:
agree that non-joke, serious opinion without argumentation, without being there is useles.

But! It was even something less than opinion, something like preferrence, which does not stand for itslef with any argumentation. It was not intended to be constructive in any way, nor to be backuped. It was just a preference. I am sure, that you also have some preferences, like you prefer shores over mouintains, humid climate to try. It was bad written preference.

I just can't help but notice how you contradict yourself. I saw you do this in another thread in a different forum as well.
This may be important, so I would like to ask you, if you could point me out where I contradidct myself in other place? I would be very grateful, you can send it to me via direct message.

Quote:
If you don't fully grasp the English language, that's fine... but before you say certain things, intentionally or not, that could be construed as insulting, may I suggest that you ask first if that's the right way to say it? I know I certainly wouldn't want to post in a forum that's full of people who speak a different language and accidentally insult them by calling their home city "stupid". Especially when I have never even been there.
I agree, that is a good advice. I would not comment, that you are oversensitive (which from my position you are, when it comes to jokes, but not case) but it was very stupid of me. Yes, it was.

Quote:
And for the record, I'm perfectly calm. Just because I'm pointing out your contradictions doesn't mean I'm foaming at the mouth. Quit being so defensive.
Yes, I understand. Thank you for help in my try to keep good posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas