Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:35 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Are there Texas companies that do work in Mexico?
Yes. But. Do not do that.

Quote:

I think I have narrowed it down to Dallas or Houston, and am leaning towards Houston.
Good Choice, I would think. Dallas is best with a college degree for back-up due to the Corporate Nature of the culture.

Houston is the optimal "blue collar" choice. The construction range includes Conventional Building, Onshore Energy and Petro-Chem, and Off-Shore Equipment Platforms. All High Dollar, High Demand.

Petro-Chem (that is the term for Refinery and Chemical Plants) use TONS of Drafting Design and Construction Management for Plant "Outages" for rebuilds and upgrades.

As a caution Houston does tend to go "up and down" with Oil --Not as much as West Texas / Midland-Odessa -- but it does follow the same drift.

But you follow from the Gasoline Pump prices, what is happening with Oil?

Would caution to ONLY Rent for the first year or maybe two or three. That makes things more "reversible" for you if things are not favorable or if your situation changes.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Yes. But. Do not do that.
Why not? I do go to Mexico every year, and have Mexican friends who work in construction management there.

Also, are there many undocumented immigrants in the construction field? If so, do they mostly work small jobs? How about large, commercial sites?

Old 12-29-2014, 10:42 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Do you want to live in Mexico? If so then choose Monterrey, or Mexico City. Though I wouldn't advise you to work near the border do to the cartels and what not, but from what I've heard over the past year is that violence has significantly decreased. As far as undocumented people working in construction in Texas, there is alot of them, but nothing to be concerned about.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Do you want to live in Mexico? If so then choose Monterrey, or Mexico City. Though I wouldn't advise you to work near the border do to the cartels and what not, but from what I've heard over the past year is that violence has significantly decreased. As far as undocumented people working in construction in Texas, there is alot of them, but nothing to be concerned about.
Not particularly, but I would not be opposed to a contract job with a US company doing work in Mexico. I like Mexico City, and have no interest in border towns.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Well, it looks like Dallas and Houston have more construction jobs just by looking at Craigslist and Indeed. It didn't look like too much was going on in San Antonio.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Is this really a question? Houston.. By a long shot.

New superpower city? Houston blows past New York in key building mark - CultureMap Houston

Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Thanks! That was good information. I have only been to Texas once, many years ago, so I am not very familiar with what's going on there. From researching, I thought it was Houston, but wanted the opinions of Texans

Old 12-30-2014, 02:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Thanks! That was good information. I have only been to Texas once, many years ago, so I am not very familiar with what's going on there. From researching, I thought it was Houston, but wanted the opinions of Texans
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as rude in that first sentence if that's how it sounded. Construction will admittedly slow down as less projects move forward amidst falling oil prices, but there is still a large labor shortage slowing down a lot of projects..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:26 PM

Article about construction work in Texas I found while reading:

Quote:
Like almost everything in the Texas, the construction industry in the Lone Star State is big. One in every 13 workers here is employed in the state's $54 billion-per-year construction industry.
Homebuilding and commercial construction may be an economic driver for the state, but it's also an industry riddled with hazards. Years of illegal immigration have pushed wages down, and accidents and wage fraud are common. Of the nearly 1 million workers laboring in construction here, approximately half are undocumented.
Many of those workers have been in the U.S. for years, even decades. This critical mass of eager, mostly Hispanic workers means it's possible for a family from New York or California to move to Texas and buy a brand new, five-bedroom, 3,000-square-foot home for $160,000.
Construction Booming In Texas, But Many Workers Pay Dearly : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas