Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times

Advertisements

Guys, as you may already be aware, we've had seriously fluctuating temperatures throughout our state in the last month. Now, we've got spring-like conditions after getting down to the teens last week. I'd like to get your thoughts on the crazy weather patterns and all the changes in Texas. So let's gather for a few moments if you can. If you've got an experience to share, please do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
It's typical here as in many other parts of the country, and has been happening for as long as I can remember. This time of year goes from cold to warm and back again. I don't think it's unusual at all.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,572 times
14 degrees last Thursday morning in Abilene. Flirting with the 80's Sunday and Monday. Actually, I have lived in other parts of the country where the weather does not fluctuate so much. Trust me, when you live where it is 14 and stays around 14 for thirty or forty days, you will appreciate the wild fluctuations here. The only problem I have is how to set my air conditioner and heater....

Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It's typical here as in many other parts of the country, and has been happening for as long as I can remember. This time of year goes from cold to warm and back again. I don't think it's unusual at all.
I'm not wishing to suggest the weather is unusual - we already know it is. It's just unseasonably warm and it just seems crazier than usual, that's all. Maybe I should have used the word "crazy" in the thread's title.

Anyway, have you other folks had any weird or unusual experiences weather-related recently?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
14 degrees last Thursday morning in Abilene. Flirting with the 80's Sunday and Monday. Actually, I have lived in other parts of the country where the weather does not fluctuate so much. Trust me, when you live where it is 14 and stays around 14 for thirty or forty days, you will appreciate the wild fluctuations here. The only problem I have is how to set my air conditioner and heater....
You just have to alternate back and forth.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,895 times
I live in the Texas Panhandle where the weather can change from minute to minute. A few years ago my husband and I set out to play 9 holes of golf on an April morning. Here's how the weather played out.
Hole #1--Sunsine
Hole #2--Major duststorm
Hole #3--Brief thunderstorm, complete with hail
Hole #4--Sleet, followed by huge snowflakes
(We took a break and headed for the clubhouse after #4)
Holes 5-9--Glorious sunshine

So, when we in the Panhandle tell people, "If you don't like the weather, stick around a few minutes, it'll change," we really mean it!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:07 PM

My wife and I visited the Texas Panhandle during spring break years ago when we lived in Ohio. When we drove into Pampa on Sunday, it was hot, and there was a severe dust storm. On Wednesday, a tornado set down near my mother's house, and there were torrential rains. we left Friday in a literal blizzard. I can't remember the year, but it was before 1981. At least it all wasn't in one day. I do remember another day in the late 60's, when I was living in Pampa, that the temperature dropped 60 degrees in just a few hours. Cingar is telling the truth about the Panhandle!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM

23 posts, read 30,213 times
Texas weather always fluctuates. I think you should be concerned if stayed the same like California. Since when has Texas weather, especially in Abilene, been predictable?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Trust me, when you live where it is 14 and stays around 14 for thirty or forty days
Where did you live? lol International Falls, MN? Barrow, AK?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Actually, the year I decided to move from Akron, Ohio back to Texas, late 70's, it was below zero the entire month of January. It was an unusually cold winter, but it made my mind up to head back south. That was also the year of the natural gas shortages, and we had to keep thermostats very low. I thought that I would never be warm again, but summer in Abilene has taken care of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas