Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Ive had a strange infatuation with Amarillo since I first went through there back in the early 90s, and it still continues to this day. I couldnt tell you what it really is, so thats where you come in. What made you move there? Do you like it? Dislike it? Whats your favorite things about the city? Do you like the weather? Anyone had rattlesnake problems? Scorpion problems? Do you like the cuisine? Do you consider yourself more western? Southwestern, Southern? etc, etc, etc.

I dont plan on moving there, but I would like to know more about its people and the city itself. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Noone, huh? Must be lonely there?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:42 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive had a strange infatuation with Amarillo since I first went through there back in the early 90s, and it still continues to this day. I couldnt tell you what it really is, so thats where you come in. What made you move there? Do you like it? Dislike it? Whats your favorite things about the city? Do you like the weather? Anyone had rattlesnake problems? Scorpion problems? Do you like the cuisine? Do you consider yourself more western? Southwestern, Southern? etc, etc, etc.

I dont plan on moving there, but I would like to know more about its people and the city itself. Thanks for your time.
I grew up in Pampa, 54 miles northeast of Amarillo. I spent a lot of time in Amarillo, but my information is probably dated. My wife and her family are Amarillo natives--although she hasn't lived there since marrying me.

I really like Amarillo. It seems more cosmopolitan than most cities its size, and it has more and greater shopping, restaurants, etc. than most cities its size because people come from a huge area--all the way into New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado--to shop there and get medical care. Its trade zone is physically huge. I think Amarillo people are great, but I am a liberal, and Amarillo is very, very conservative. Rattlesnakes used to exist in newer subdivisions, but as people move in, the snakes move out. I don't recall ever running into a scorpion...and I actually only remember one rattlesnake when I was a small kid.

Amarillo has a good symphony, a good arts scene. Why, you ask, did I choose to move to Abilene instead of Amarillo? (Amarillo was my second choice when we moved back to Texas from Ohio.) The basic problem is the weather. Winters can be bad. Just a few weeks ago, when we were up there for a relative's funeral, there was a blizzard. Visibility was zero, and there were at least two huge pileups on Interstate 40--One involving over 50 cars and the other (farther east toward Pampa) involving over 30 cars. Of course, you have a blizzard, horrible cold weather, and the next week might be warm. Dust storms and tornados in the spring can be intense. The wind is another problem. Amarillo is actually the windiest metro area in the United States, according to Places Rated Almanac. And the wind does get to you after awhile.

I think of Amarillo being more tied, politically, socially, and economically to Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico than to the rest of Texas. When I lived up there, I often got angry because, like El Paso, Amarillo is sort of considered a step-child by the Legislators and the eastern part of the state.

All in all, it is a good city with good people. If you can handle the weather, you would like it there. And I must say the cool nights in the spring, summer, and fall are refreshing for Texas.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
If my employment and my family wasn't deeply rooted in SETX, I would definitly move to the panhandle. I would end up in Texline, perhaps. Likewise, I really enjoy Amarillo too.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I grew up in Pampa, 54 miles northeast of Amarillo. I spent a lot of time in Amarillo, but my information is probably dated. My wife and her family are Amarillo natives--although she hasn't lived there since marrying me.

I really like Amarillo. It seems more cosmopolitan than most cities its size, and it has more and greater shopping, restaurants, etc. than most cities its size because people come from a huge area--all the way into New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado--to shop there and get medical care. Its trade zone is physically huge. I think Amarillo people are great, but I am a liberal, and Amarillo is very, very conservative. Rattlesnakes used to exist in newer subdivisions, but as people move in, the snakes move out. I don't recall ever running into a scorpion...and I actually only remember one rattlesnake when I was a small kid.

Amarillo has a good symphony, a good arts scene. Why, you ask, did I choose to move to Abilene instead of Amarillo? (Amarillo was my second choice when we moved back to Texas from Ohio.) The basic problem is the weather. Winters can be bad. Just a few weeks ago, when we were up there for a relative's funeral, there was a blizzard. Visibility was zero, and there were at least two huge pileups on Interstate 40--One involving over 50 cars and the other (farther east toward Pampa) involving over 30 cars. Of course, you have a blizzard, horrible cold weather, and the next week might be warm. Dust storms and tornados in the spring can be intense. The wind is another problem. Amarillo is actually the windiest metro area in the United States, according to Places Rated Almanac. And the wind does get to you after awhile.

I think of Amarillo being more tied, politically, socially, and economically to Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico than to the rest of Texas. When I lived up there, I often got angry because, like El Paso, Amarillo is sort of considered a step-child by the Legislators and the eastern part of the state.

All in all, it is a good city with good people. If you can handle the weather, you would like it there. And I must say the cool nights in the spring, summer, and fall are refreshing for Texas.
Awesome! Thanks for the response and the time you took to post it.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 PM

116 posts, read 340,667 times
I always found Amarillo to be really cosmopolitan, like James wrote. It seems to have a melange of 'flavor' from the Southwest, Midwest, and deep south, but being a native Iowan, it seemed REALLY southern to me... but so does Missouri. lol

The majority of people I know from the area call themselves southerners or Texans.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
I always found Amarillo to be really cosmopolitan, like James wrote. It seems to have a melange of 'flavor' from the Southwest, Midwest, and deep south, but being a native Iowan, it seemed REALLY southern to me... but so does Missouri. lol

The majority of people I know from the area call themselves southerners or Texans.
I've only driven through Amarillo on my way in or out of Texas. There is a restaurant off the main highway called Dixie something or other. Can't get any more Southern than that. Amarillo, to me, has a certain "romantic" feel, and I don't mean the "love" kind but because the whole state of Texas does - in the feel of it, the culture including the western and Southern aspects of it, the numerous songs written about the state and the cities. San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, El Paso, etc. I love Texas!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:24 PM

163 posts, read 474,538 times
let's see.. we moved here because of husband's job.
we thought that we would be here for a year and we are about to hit year 5.
we have been wanting to leave after the first year.

I have never seen a scorpion or snake.
Tartantuals.. seen those

cuisine is pretty much steak houses and tex-mex food. (with an occassional Asian restaurant thrown in for good measure) The same chain restaurants that you can get anywhere.

weather isn't bad. 4 distinct seasons, low humidity. Very windy here. Most days there is at least a 20-25 mph wind. (the really windy days the winds are 30-40 mph)
we do get snow, but by the end of the day it is usually gone

having moved here from CA (but born and raised in DFW area of TX), there is little entertainment here. (at least if you are out of the "clubbing" age.)

Amarillo is in 2 different counties, Randall and Potter. Potter is dry and Randall is wet.

Whether TX as a whole is SW or Southern depends on who you ask. I always considered myself southern, but people from Georgia consider us SW.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I don't know what you call this area, but I have a friend who lives on S. Lipscomb and another on S. Hayden (south of 24th) - very nice area.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Wow. I never thought Id see this thread get revived. Thanks for replying!

Anyone have some pics from around town that you feel like sharing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas