Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM

160 posts, read 233,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You sound like you're poised to be underwhelmed by a lot of stuff that you have "heard" (one wonders from who) isn't all that great without knowing anything at all about them. Well, I've "heard" from a lot of people in your age group with kids that they are great (Thinkery, as one example).

I read reviews is what I should have said. Thinkery is a bit expensive and better as a membership thing from what I remember. I used to have a membership to the aquarium since we live nearby and it stinks. I can say that confidently. They did not take good care of the animals and it was overpriced for what it was.

Central Market isn't just for grocery shopping - did you do anything else there? Eat out on the patio while the kids ran around playing? Listen to live music? Meet with friends for lunch? For that matter, what grocery store just for grocery shopping do you think is not underwhelming?
You can do that at Whole Foods too if you want. Not really my thing, but I'm sure some really like it. To each their own. I didn't like how tight the aisles were. Could barely squeeze through as I said before. Not a bad store, but I prefer going elsewhere personally.

I had no problems with my kids at festivals at that age, but they were brought up knowing how to behave at them. And I confess to using a halter on my eldest when he was the age of your youngest, and would have at age 4 if he'd been inclined to run off. (When people gave me grief about using a halter instead of holding his hand, I suggested they put their hand up over their head and hold it that way for, oh, 10 minutes and then tell me which was meaner to the kid, that or getting to run around within a 3 foot range around Mom.) I highly recommend it for the benefit of both Mom AND kids.
My 4 year old is just stubborn, she gets plenty of discipline along with her 3 siblings. I'm often complimented on how well behaved my kids are, I'm just not comfortable around big crowds. I have used those leash things before, but the ones I've seen are more for the 2 and under crowd. And yeah, holding a stubborn kids hand is tough anyway, they tend to yank it away and whine. Mine tries to not hold my hand for even going across the street. I still make her, but she's very independent. When the kids are a bit older, we may check those festivals out if we're still around.

I know someone who has worked at the Austin Nature Center for 20 plus years now and I assure you that the kids I've seen there when I've dropped in have been having a blast.
Good to know. What I knew of it was based on reviews as well. But, I did plan on a visit sometime in the near future.

Deep Eddy is, indeed, a great place to take kids - it's practically set up for young Moms with tiny ones to go sit and talk and play in the water a bit. As long as you don't take your eyes off of them, which you shouldn't do at Barton Springs or Deep Eddy or any pool, for that matter. Even your own bathtub!
I never take my eyes off my kids, but for one split second he got under. I yanked him out right away, but it did concern me. The graduated pool makes me feel a bit more comfortable, that's all. Not so comfortable as to not watch my kids, don't worry.

With little ones, you might enjoy Pioneer Farms. I know my kids both loved it. Or take them on the Hill Country Flyer. Or to Kiddie Acres.
Thanks.

Just some suggestions - I know from experience that sometimes you don't have time to look this stuff up (hey, I didn't even have the internet!) when you've got little ones demanding your attention.
Even when trying to search things on the net, I find it difficult to find things. So, thanks for the links and suggestions. And yeah, with kids, you keep busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
Texashorselady. I don't know everything about Austin. Only been here 3 years. Been to Peter Pan Mini golf and it's just OK. Not bad, but not great. I've heard Thinkery isn't that great, been to Central Market on North Lamar and I'm underwhelmed. It's OK, but no better than HEB, WF, Sprouts or Costco to me. And it is hard to squeeze through the ailes with a cart and kids. My husband likes it though. I did like they had more flavors of my favorite yogurt there. Austin Nature Center is known to be underwhelming, but I'm sure we'll make a trip at some point. I have no interest in the Festivals, they always seem to draw big crowds and my little kids are really little, 4 - 1.5, almost 4(likes to run off), 6 and 8. I've had a kid get stuck under the water for a bit, I got him out before it was actual drowning, but scared the crap out of me. I'll stick with Deep Eddy Pool and it's graduated incline. Similar water, less scary for me. Not knocking Barton Springs nor saying it isn't actually appropriate for kids, just not for me. The list of museums is more than I thought their were. I'll check those out. I could care less about the rodeo or racing. I guess it depends what you are interested in. I'll check out those links and see what I don't know about.

Have you been to Austin's Park And Pizza it has things for kids to do like rides and games and stuff. There's also a fairly new Waterpark in Pflugerville you can go to in the summer called Hawaiian Falls and of course there's Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. I've heard the Austin Zoo while small is nice for little kids it's a rescue Zoo.

Austin's Park n' Pizza Experience | Austin Birthday Parties | Austin Family Fun | Pflugerville, Texas

Austin Zoo

Austin Water Park in Pflugerville, Lazy River, Austin Water Slides

Schlitterbahn New Braunfels | New Braunfels Water Park & Resort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas