Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM

677 posts, read 653,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
All of the other cities have good food, too though.
Yes, but Austin is catching on as a hot spot for new, inventive and amazing spots. In proportion to the population it is an exploding thing in this city, some really top class and innovative spots opening up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 03:52 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Houston is the only city in Texas I could ever describe as cool. Beautiful? No. Progressive? Not always. Outdoorsy? Hardly. Still easily the most diverse and cosmopolitan town in the state with the most interesting people. Dallas is a close second, though, and it does its thing in a much more organized fashion.

Austin?...I always enjoy the view of downtown from 35.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post

Dallas is definately better for BBQ than, say, Houston or San Antonio. However, Austin far outshines Dallas. There are a half dozen places in Austin proper that shame almost anything in Dallas, and very short drives to Taylor/Lockhart (which, especially in the case of the former are practically greater metro Austin anyways) for other bedrock stars of Texas BBQ.
First time I've ever heard of Dallas having better BBQ than Houston. First time ever.

I'm guessing maybe in 2015 Dallas might have better brisket than Houston? Better sausage, ribs, or virtually anything else? Not in my experience.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
First time I've ever heard of Dallas having better BBQ than Houston. First time ever.

I'm guessing maybe in 2015 Dallas might have better brisket than Houston? Better sausage, ribs, or virtually anything else? Not in my experience.
Are you kidding? Pecan Lodge is a top 5 spot in the state by many, and if you look at the Texas Monthly list of top 50 BBQ spots in the state there are 5 spots in Austin/8 in Austin Metro. 7 or 8 in DFW metro. Houston has 2. Houston Metro 4.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? Pecan Lodge is a top 5 spot in the state by many, and if you look at the Texas Monthly list of top 50 BBQ spots in the state there are 5 spots in Austin/8 in Austin Metro. 7 or 8 in DFW metro. Houston has 2. Houston Metro 4.
I'm not a Texas Monthly reader.

I'm not saying that perhaps most Texans don't prefer Dallas BBQ to Houston BBQ. I'm saying this is the first I've ever heard of this. As I'm sure you now realize, I disagree.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'm not a Texas Monthly reader.

I'm not saying that perhaps most Texans don't prefer Dallas BBQ to Houston BBQ. I'm saying this is the first I've ever heard of this. As I'm sure you now realize, I disagree.
Well, I only lived in Dallas for a year, and I didn't sample much BBQ there. I can say that Pecan Lodge is far better than anything in Houston. On the other hand, I lived in Houston for 30 years, and I can say that their BBQ is crap. Living in Austin now the last 3 years, I am in BBQ heaven, there isn't a Houston place that could stay open let alone compete in this market.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Well, I only lived in Dallas for a year, and I didn't sample much BBQ there. I can say that Pecan Lodge is far better than anything in Houston. On the other hand, I lived in Houston for 30 years, and I can say that their BBQ is crap. Living in Austin now the last 3 years, I am in BBQ heaven, there isn't a Houston place that could stay open let alone compete in this market.
I'd nominate Gatlin's and Burns for that challenge. "Black BBQ" as many Austinites may call it under their breath, but excellent nonetheless. For what it's worth, though, the best barbecue to me is always found in those small, no name trailers in the East Texas countryside. Far better than anything I've ever found in any overhyped restaurant.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:26 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Houston has Killens, best known for being the best steakhouse in Texas, who opened a BBQ place a while back that's phenomenal. Apparently it rivals Franklins in Austin.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:41 PM

Franklin's has the best brisket probably in the world - he has mastered that. He does some other things very well too ... but overall that isn't even the best spot in Austin, despite the hype. Local foodies rank a couple of other places better overall. If you want to check out some of what Austin has on offer, here is a pretty good list ... putting Stiles Switch above Franklin's is kind of stupid imho, but otherwise not a bad list.

The Austin BBQ Top 10 | Fed Man Walking

Old 01-21-2015, 05:03 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I'll agree with that. I'd believe I'd be just as happy living in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin. After having gotten a taste of Texas, I'm confident all are good cities. Still, there's no doubting that Austin has a ton of hype associated with it.

But I do wonder if Austin's true strength is that it seized the first-mover advantage. Austin was undeniably at the forefront of the urban movement in the '90s and '00s, back when a food truck was a big deal. Since then, though, cities all over the nation have aggressively developed similar urban cultures. I remember watching Anthony Bourdain visiting Austin and sanctifying the barbecue. Yet Dallas has Pecan Lodge and Lockhart. It could be the brisket in Austin is that much better, but is an amateur epicure, would I even be able to tell?

People mention the beer. Dallas has beer. Good breweries, even - and a barcade, too. But do Austin breweries have a patent on the magic sauce? Dallas has plenty of free/cheap live music in Deep Ellum and other locations, but maybe the musicianship on display is mere caterwauling in comparison to epic melodic theatrics of Austin instrumentalists. I don't know.

I think that as a first-mover, Austin probably has more people that are attracted to a modern urban lifestyle. It drew in the people that are, perhaps, a bit more extreme. But I feel like the gap is closing, though UT will always be a big feather in its cap. If you want a college town feel, I'm sure a college as big as UT will continue to provide that in spades.

That all said - again - I'd happily move to Austin if the opportunity was right. I just wonder if it'd feel like more of the same, with subtle twists. I'm debating where to drop my mini-vacation dollars, which includes getting a downtown hotel and all that jazz. THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS, PEOPLE!
Because Austin was at the forefront of the urban movement, the perception has stuck. Dallas has a corporate perception, which has stuck. Comparing apples to apples you could probably find more similarities than differences, but it's hard to undo perception, It's just human nature.

By the way, I didn't write what you quoted. It was madrone 2K.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 01-21-2015 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas