Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 PM

94 posts, read 119,963 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I may be moving to Waco in the near future. To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about any areas in Waco. Looking at purchasing a home in the 5-650K dollar range. Could anyone point me in the right direction for neighborhoods that are safe and have good schools? Is there a high end or exclusive area in Waco?

Other than doing the basic research, would anyone suggest outlying areas of Waco or other more desirable towns close by? Is my budget decent for Waco?

Is this going to be a huge culture shock? My family and I have lived all over (prior military). We have always wanted to live in Texas.

Thanks for the input! Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
Other than the older areas near Waco Lake, which would require private schools, the best area to live in is both Woodway and far west Waco. Located just west of Waco, the Woodway area is a generally hilly area with a small-town feel, the best public schools, great police presence, and outdoor areas such as the Cotton Belt Trail and Midway Park. Here are three neighborhoods to consider that all feed into the best school system in the greater Waco area, Midway ISD:

Badger Ranch in Woodway is a scenic upscale community with rolling terrain and lots ranging from .25 to well over one acre. I would personally choose Badger Ranch due to the blend of hills, lake views, community trails, pond, community center, and a blend of all different types of architectural styles. Both Trinity Lutheran Church and Midway ISD's South Bosque Elementary school are within walking distance of nearly any home in the neighborhood. Another benefit of Badger Ranch is that, despite the homes reaching into the $1M+ range, the neighborhood does not have a stuffy feeling that is associated with upscale neighborhoods.

Badger Ranch map

Hidden Valley is in far west Waco and generally has the highest priced homes, although the newer ones are extremely gaudy. It is split into three parts: the largest and newest section, the treed section, and the section comprised of three cul-de-sacs. Hidden Valley has no community center and is the furthest from Waco. Midway ISD's River Valley Intermediate is nearby, but not within walking distance.

Hidden Valley map

Twin Rivers is a golf community in far west Waco. Although lots are small, there are trails (really just sidewalks), a community center, and Twin Rivers Golf Club. The overall feel is sterile, cookie-cutter, typical suburbia, and extremely flat. Also, it is on US-84, so noise will be a concern.

Twin Rivers map

For MLS listings in your $400k - $600k range, click here.

Last edited by BCB; 01-28-2015 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 06:55 AM

227 posts, read 385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalDad10 View Post
Hi everyone,

I may be moving to Waco in the near future. To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about any areas in Waco. Looking at purchasing a home in the 5-650K dollar range. Could anyone point me in the right direction for neighborhoods that are safe and have good schools? Is there a high end or exclusive area in Waco?

Other than doing the basic research, would anyone suggest outlying areas of Waco or other more desirable towns close by? Is my budget decent for Waco?

Is this going to be a huge culture shock? My family and I have lived all over (prior military). We have always wanted to live in Texas.

Thanks for the input! Cheers
BCB has given you great advice. There are lots of doctors in both Badger Ranch and Hidden Valley. I wholeheartedly agree with BCB's assessment of Twin Rivers.

My honest advice to you would be to think very carefully about your decision. When I visited Waco to interview for a career opportunity, it looked fine. On paper it looks good and there are many great things about Texas. Once I started living in Waco, I found it really was not a great place to live. It's not the worst place in the world or even in Texas but it's not a great place either.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Other than the older areas near Waco Lake, which would require private schools, the best area to live in is both Woodway and far west Waco. Located just west of Waco, the Woodway area is a generally hilly area with a small-town feel, the best public schools, great police presence, and outdoor areas such as the Cotton Belt Trail and Midway Park. Here are three neighborhoods to consider that all feed into the best school system in the greater Waco area, Midway ISD:

Badger Ranch in Woodway is a scenic upscale community with rolling terrain and lots ranging from .25 to well over one acre. I would personally choose Badger Ranch due to the blend of hills, lake views, community trails, pond, community center, and a blend of all different types of architectural styles. Both Trinity Lutheran Church and Midway ISD's South Bosque Elementary school are within walking distance of nearly any home in the neighborhood. Another benefit of Badger Ranch is that, despite the homes reaching into the $1M+ range, the neighborhood does not have a stuffy feeling that is associated with upscale neighborhoods.

Badger Ranch map

Hidden Valley is in far west Waco and generally has the highest priced homes, although the newer ones are extremely gaudy. It is split into three parts: the largest and newest section, the treed section, and the section comprised of three cul-de-sacs. Hidden Valley has no community center and is the furthest from Waco. Midway ISD's River Valley Intermediate is nearby, but not within walking distance.

Hidden Valley map

Twin Rivers is a golf community in far west Waco. Although lots are small, there are trails (really just sidewalks), a community center, and Twin Rivers Golf Club. The overall feel is sterile, cookie-cutter, typical suburbia, and extremely flat. Also, it is on US-84, so noise will be a concern.

Twin Rivers map

For MLS listings in your $400k - $600k range, click here.
Wow!!! Thank you for such I great information! Also, thank you for the direct MLS list. I looked quickly and that's the style of homes I do like. Doesn't have to be new, but updated. I'm glad to see that the budget will fair well here.

Is hidden valley and badger ranch within Waco? Or are they seperate towns with own town/city names? I do like a sense of community and it's nice to see these homes have yards! Coming form SoCal, my back yard is about 6500 sq feet. Lol.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
BCB has given you great advice. There are lots of doctors in both Badger Ranch and Hidden Valley. I wholeheartedly agree with BCB's assessment of Twin Rivers.

My honest advice to you would be to think very carefully about your decision. When I visited Waco to interview for a career opportunity, it looked fine. On paper it looks good and there are many great things about Texas. Once I started living in Waco, I found it really was not a great place to live. It's not the worst place in the world or even in Texas but it's not a great place either.
What's your reasoning behind not liking it? Since you transplanted here as well

Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 AM

I just saw all these homes listed on the MLS are in McGreggor?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
You need to know that Zillow is not reliable. It is frequently out of date. Also, Texas is a non-disclosure state, so their Zestimates can be way off - I've seen them off by $50,000 either way in a neighborhood of $300,000 homes. But, then, they themselves have said they consider 50% accuracy to be excellent, so what can you expect?

This is a search
that is direct to the Waco area MLS so will be more timely in terms of homes actually on the market.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You need to know that Zillow is not reliable. It is frequently out of date. Also, Texas is a non-disclosure state, so their Zestimates can be way off - I've seen them off by $50,000 either way in a neighborhood of $300,000 homes. But, then, they themselves have said they consider 50% accuracy to be excellent, so what can you expect?

This is a search
that is direct to the Waco area MLS so will be more timely in terms of homes actually on the market.

Ok. I was mostly asking if Waco had outlying towns. I see the town of McGreggor. Is that completely different than Waco?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
McGregor is about ten miles west of Waco and other than some employment the two are not really related... as small towns go. Amtrak stops in McGregor (but not in Waco). There's no station, just a defunct gas station with a gravel parking lot.

Inside SpaceX's Texas Rocket-Testing Facility | WIRED
Quote:
McGregor is like many small towns in Texas. It is located just south of the once anonymous town of Crawford and McGregor High School's football stadium features a fair amount of seating for a town of less than 5,000.

But there is one thing McGregor residents experience that is unlike any other Texas town. Every so often its inhabitants hear and feel the rumble of rocket engines as the air around them pulses courtesy of one of the biggest employers in town.
Waco is the home of Baylor University, and the Grand Lodge of Texas, AF & AM. Also has a federal court for the Western District of Texas, which extends as far as El Paso.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
BCB gave you good advice. Regarding McGregor vs Waco. McGregor is a small farm town on US 84 southwest of Waco. It's a typical small Texas town with fading nondescript houses. However the McGregor zip code 76657 extends east into the Waco suburbs so a lot of houses in places like Hidden Valley will have McGregor zip codes even though the people who live there think they are living in Waco suburbs. Go by the school districts. If the house is in Midway ISD you are good, if it is in McGregor ISD avoid. But I don't think there are any upscale subdivisions in McGregor ISD because the builders would not be that stupid.

People looking for homes in your price range will look at the following neighborhoods

Badger Ranch (close in, lots of nice amenities like community pool, tennis courts, and trails. Here's one: REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Twin Rivers (bigger subdivision with big houses on smaller lots but still very popular. I have friends who like it). Here's one out there: REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Hidden Valley (big sprawling lots with some very large houses. Popular with people like Baylor coaches, doctors, and lawyers). here's one: REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Stone Creek Ranch (a bit further out US 84): REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Older parts of Woodway near the lake. There are some very nice neighborhoods along the west edge of Woodway near the lake. The nice ones rarely come up for sale but here's one on a nice street: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M84058-07489

Riverside. This is a smaller version of Badger Ranch by the same developer but a bit further away. Here is one for sale out there: REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Basically if you search for real estate listings in your price range for the zip codes 76712 and 76657 and you will see most of the options in the southwest end of Waco where most people in your price range live. There are other very nice houses within Waco proper along the lake but those route to Waco ISD schools so not what you want unless you are putting your kids in private schools.

The other option not mentioned here is the China Spring area. It is more rural but there are some very nice exurban subdivisions out there with large multi-acre lots and big fancy houses. The drive into Waco would be farther though...more like 25 minutes. But if you want more rural living within commuting distance to Waco the China Spring area would be near the top of the list. Here are several examples:

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas