Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Here's why I don't support HS football (La Marque ISD)
The school district is about to be shut down because of low academic performance and poor financial accountability .... but they are concerned about their football team.

BTW, read the comments at the bottom of the article

Meeting held over La Marque School District closure order | abc13.com

Quote:
Parents are wondering what will happen to their children when the La Marque ISD shuts down this summer. Earlier this week, the Texas Education Agency revoked the district's accreditation because of its academically unacceptable ratings and poor financial accountability.

Almost everyone we talked to was confident that the appeal would work. Administrators said their test scores are improving and that they are doing fine financially. In fact, officials pointed out that the past two years, their financial accountability was rated as fair.

For some on La Marque High School's football team, closing the school district would be devastating to their future.

"This is a big football school," said La Marque HS football player Quinton Luckett. "You shut down this, you shut down all our future sports championships. We're nervous because we don't want to get shut down. This year, we're planning on going to state."

Last edited by Dopo; 02-10-2015 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's why I don't support HS football (La Marque ISD)
The school district is about to be shut down because of low academic performance and poor financial accountability .... but they are concerned about their football team.

BTW, read the comments at the bottom of the article

Meeting held over La Marque School District closure order | abc13.com
Are you really surprised a teenage football player on the team would say that?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Are you really surprised a teenage football player on the team would say that?
That's not the issue
the issue is the culture of making HS football the most important thing for High School even more than education.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
That's not the issue
the issue is the culture of making HS football the most important thing for High School even more than education.
Other than a quote from a teenage football player, where is the evidence of a culture that makes HS football more important than education?

Media attention or exaggeration isn't evidence.

I think you will find instead that most high schools with excellent sports programs are also excellent schools. There are always exceptions.

Allen
Southlake Carroll
Westlake
Lake Travis

on and on.....

Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Some schools service areas that are going to have poor educational scores and there is not a lot that can be done about it (by the school administration, anyway). Poverty, families with poor educational history, etc. OTOH, for some of these kids, sports is a way out of poverty. The community of the team can be much more supportive, in come cases, than the community of their own family.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Some schools service areas that are going to have poor educational scores and there is not a lot that can be done about it (by the school administration, anyway). Poverty, families with poor educational history, etc. OTOH, for some of these kids, sports is a way out of poverty. The community of the team can be much more supportive, in come cases, than the community of their own family.

This is truth. Lots of poor areas in big and small cities. Sometimes sports is all kids know. Many that have the ability to become a physician or engineer are never exposed to anything but sports. They see one teammate make it to the NFL and then everybody wants to become an NFL star. I'd bet this same thing can be found in basketball-crazy states, too where small towns revolve around their local basketball teams. It's not unique to Texas high school football.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This is truth. Lots of poor areas in big and small cities. Sometimes sports is all kids know. Many that have the ability to become a physician or engineer are never exposed to anything but sports. They see one teammate make it to the NFL and then everybody wants to become an NFL star. I'd bet this same thing can be found in basketball-crazy states, too where small towns revolve around their local basketball teams. It's not unique to Texas high school football.
The same thing is true of some kids that are artists - musicians too. It is the extracurricular that keeps them in school and helps them graduate. I'm OK with that.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Quote:
That's not the issue
It's not about education anymore. Hasn't been in a LONG time. They are worried if they go to another school, what will their school life be like and how far behind with they truly be. Also they won't be a football God in their new school but just another newb...

Also, have you listened to some of those 'college' players speak? Even some of the gifted elite NFL players. They couldn't spell their way out of wet paper sack.

It's about 'donations' and the almighty dollar.

Didn't seem to help in this case.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:46 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Most of the residents of La Marque cannot afford to move anywhere else. These kids have very little going for them except sports. I do not think that is a high-dollar sports program - it is no Plano or Westlake - and sports success if being driven more by an escape from a rough life or hope for a college scholarship where the CAN get an education (whether they do or not is another matter).

And as for their speaking ability in college - how do you know they can't spell. I know people that hear a Texas accent and assume people are not very bright because of their 'twange'. How you speak does not necessarily correlate to intelligence or even education.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,406 times
80% minority school what do you expect? 4.0 gpa's and students applying to yale? lol .What other district would want them? Galveston isn't much better. santa fe? I dought they want them. If they were coming to my district I would have the parents stage protests.

yea I heard that quote from that kid on tv and soon as I heard it wasn't a big surprise to me. I bet those kids think they really are going to make it to the nfl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas