Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,916,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Knight View Post
Can a 19 year old man in Texas marry a 90 year old man now?
Not yet, its probably going to be up to the upcoming Supreme Court review to determine what is allowed.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:20 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,545,817 times
Quote:
=LeagleEagleDFW;38812718]Wait, let's be clear here - when you say "re-defining" marriage or the "traditional" definition, what definition are you using to start with? The Biblical one of a man and a woman? If so, then we'll have to go back to arranged marriages, people of different religious faiths not being allowed to marry, and stoning women to death if they cannot prove their virginity.

We'll also have to make sure women have children, because if they become widowed without having had kids, they'll have to marry their brother-in-law and be his sex slave.

Speaking of slavery, that will also have to make a comeback, because they Bible is very explicit about being able to own slaves and force them to marry. Polygamy will have to be allowed, as well as concubines.

And of course, it will also solve that pesky rape problem, because rapists will just have to marry their victim and pay her dad 50 shekels.

But hey, it'll simplify things because everything a woman owns will become the property of her husband, and she won't be able to open bank accounts, conduct any sort of business, or enter into contracts without her husband.

Doesn't the traditional definition of marriage sound wonderful!
Get off your inane tirade, LeagleBeagle. No one is impressed. All you are doing is pointing out the truism that no human institutions are perfect. I have seen it a thousand times with the radical gay rights bunch. That is, to bring up past examples of imperfection in male-female marriages as if it really has anything to do with the larger issue. Your examples are, with all due respect, screwier than a screwdriver.

Quote:
"They" meaning the Colorado state legislature who passed an anti-discrimination law, and "they" meaning the gay couple who were discriminated against in violation of that law, and "they" meaning the Colorado state court system who enforced the law that was on the books? Man, "they" are really out to get you just for fun.
If the good people of Colorado want to legalize gay marriage, then more power to them. But other states should not be forced to recognize it if the good people within other states don't want to.

Quote:
Be careful when you talk about "re-defining marriage" - it's already been pointed out that that may not work out so well.
Huh? Who pointed it out in a coherent way? All you did was prove my own point. That is, if marriage is re-defined to become same sex, then there is no logical nor legal stopping point to keep it from becoming defined as any man, woman, and beast that want to consider themselves married.

Quote:
No one is forcing you to approve of anything or give up your own moral values. You can sit at home and stew in a big bunch of hatred for equal rights. But when you venture out into the real world, yes, you have to subjugate personal beliefs on any number of things. I firmly believe I should be allowed to tar and feather anyone doing under the speed limit in the passing lane, but I have to subjugate that belief in the name of a fair and equitable society.
LMAO I KNEW it was going to come to this sooner or later. That I would be accused of "hatred." But yeah, you are right. I hate equal rights. Hell, I will head you off at the pass. I am a homophobe, a bigot, a reactionary, a racist, a sexist, a xenophobic, and probably more than that. What about it?

I promised my own kids that I would make them notorious for being the offspring of the biggest politically incorrect jerk that every lived. Dad gum, I am having a great time doing it.

Quote:
How dare those judges enforce laws that everyone be treated equally and fairly! Damn their activism and ideology!
They aren't enforcing anything. They are forcing their own viewpoints on a majority; the perfect definition of a tyrant.

Quote:
But speaking of the majority -

Same-Sex Marriage Support Reaches New High at 55%

"Americans' support for the law recognizing same-sex marriages as legally valid has increased yet again, now at 55%...In 2011, support for gay marriage vaulted over the 50% mark for the first time, and since 2012, support has remained above that level."
*shrug* So what? For one thing, most people in answering opinion polls just "roll with the flow". If you think "gay marriage" is a major issue then you would be delusional. And so what if the majority say they support it? The only thing that really matters is how people -- in the individual states -- actually vote in the booth. And how they actually feel within the confines of their own hearts.

Quote:
Damn those activist Founding Fathers!

"Article IV, Section 1:
Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof."
ROFLMAO. If you for one minute think the founding fathers had gay marriage in mind or anything remotely close to it, then there is the proverbial swamp land in Arizona to sell. And Congress can at anytime yank the power of the SCOTUS to hear matters concerning gay marriage.

Get off it, LB. You know yourself -- if you are honest with yourself -- that you don't give a dam at all about the beliefs of the Founding Fathers. That is just a rhetorical ploy you are using.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:08 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,747,046 times
It's funny how, when God is on your side, you're all about it (or the Constitution or whatever else the case may be), but when it's not, it's just a rhetorical ploy.

Of course, whenever someone gets cutesy with a username as a quasi-insult, I know their post is nothing but hot air and chest-thumping.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:55 PM

268 posts, read 355,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Get off your inane tirade, LeagleBeagle. No one is impressed. All you are doing is pointing out the truism that no human institutions are perfect. I have seen it a thousand times with the radical gay rights bunch. That is, to bring up past examples of imperfection in male-female marriages as if it really has anything to do with the larger issue. Your examples are, with all due respect, screwier than a screwdriver.

If the good people of Colorado want to legalize gay marriage, then more power to them. But other states should not be forced to recognize it if the good people within other states don't want to.

Huh? Who pointed it out in a coherent way? All you did was prove my own point. That is, if marriage is re-defined to become same sex, then there is no logical nor legal stopping point to keep it from becoming defined as any man, woman, and beast that want to consider themselves married.

LMAO I KNEW it was going to come to this sooner or later. That I would be accused of "hatred." But yeah, you are right. I hate equal rights. Hell, I will head you off at the pass. I am a homophobe, a bigot, a reactionary, a racist, a sexist, a xenophobic, and probably more than that. What about it?

I promised my own kids that I would make them notorious for being the offspring of the biggest politically incorrect jerk that every lived. Dad gum, I am having a great time doing it.

They aren't enforcing anything. They are forcing their own viewpoints on a majority; the perfect definition of a tyrant.

*shrug* So what? For one thing, most people in answering opinion polls just "roll with the flow". If you think "gay marriage" is a major issue then you would be delusional. And so what if the majority say they support it? The only thing that really matters is how people -- in the individual states -- actually vote in the booth. And how they actually feel within the confines of their own hearts.

ROFLMAO. If you for one minute think the founding fathers had gay marriage in mind or anything remotely close to it, then there is the proverbial swamp land in Arizona to sell. And Congress can at anytime yank the power of the SCOTUS to hear matters concerning gay marriage.

Get off it, LB. You know yourself -- if you are honest with yourself -- that you don't give a dam at all about the beliefs of the Founding Fathers. That is just a rhetorical ploy you are using.
Couldn't have said it better.

Hows this for a headline:

"Couple Who Fought for Gay Marriage Files for Divorce"

Yup, only 2yrs after fighting for the right, they divorce

Old 03-15-2015, 04:04 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,810,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
For myself, I am actually one of those conservatives who truly believes that a person cannot help their sexual orientation and I wish the same all the best in life. But it doesn't extend to going along with that I should be required to surrender my own moral values and business rights in order to accommodate a radical minority.
So you believe that gay people are born gay, or in the very least have no power to change it, yet you still think that they're a radical minority for wanting the same rights you have today? I just don't understand..

Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,139,679 times
Unless Article I Section 32 of the Texas Constitution has been repealed, the license is null and void.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Wait, let's be clear here - when you say "re-defining" marriage or the "traditional" definition, what definition are you using to start with? The Biblical one of a man and a woman? If so, then we'll have to go back to arranged marriages, people of different religious faiths not being allowed to marry, and stoning women to death if they cannot prove their virginity.

We'll also have to make sure women have children, because if they become widowed without having had kids, they'll have to marry their brother-in-law and be his sex slave.

Speaking of slavery, that will also have to make a comeback, because they Bible is very explicit about being able to own slaves and force them to marry. Polygamy will have to be allowed, as well as concubines.

And of course, it will also solve that pesky rape problem, because rapists will just have to marry their victim and pay her dad 50 shekels.

But hey, it'll simplify things because everything a woman owns will become the property of her husband, and she won't be able to open bank accounts, conduct any sort of business, or enter into contracts without her husband.

Doesn't the traditional definition of marriage sound wonderful!
None of this did God ordain when He brought Eve to Adam in the garden of Eden.

The only red herring you left out was the hackneyed old shellfish argument.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

Hows this for a headline:

"Couple Who Fought for Gay Marriage Files for Divorce"

Yup, only 2yrs after fighting for the right, they divorce
They didn't report it when the lesbians in MA divorced after their big fight for gay marriage, and they won't publicize it here, either.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
So you believe that gay people are born gay, or in the very least have no power to change it, yet you still think that they're a radical minority for wanting the same rights you have today? I just don't understand..
So I take it that you think that anyone (gay or straight) has the right to force a business to bend to their will?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,748,543 times
Its no big deal plus I believe in not labeling people, to each their own !!!

Last edited by need4speed2012; 03-15-2015 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Misspelled a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: