Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:20 AM

348 posts, read 824,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I've asked this question before & no one's answered: can we just rip off all our inspection stickers come Saturday night?
The section of law requiring an inspection sticker is repealed effective Sunday. This means that you can legally remove the sticker or display an expired one. The answer from the web site set up to give information about this is: "We recommend leaving the inspection sticker on until the date it expires." That's probably to reduce the likelihood of getting stopped by an officer who isn't familiar with the legal change.

Resources | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV

My sticker expires this month, so I'll be scraping it off Sunday. I get some free months between inspection and registration due dates. I could renew inspection this year and get those free months next year, or I could let the sticker expire and get the free months now. Starting in March you don't have the option to renew and get another sticker, you have to wait until registration time.

Last edited by wxf848; 02-27-2015 at 12:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
So, if both my registration and inspection don't end until October of this year, I have until then to change?
If both stickers expire in October, you'll need to get the vehicle inspected before renewing registration by the end of October. The inspection has to be recent, you can't get it done in March and then renew the registration in October. The inspection must be done in the last 90 days of the registration period, some time in August, September, or October. Don't the right at the beginning of August because that's more than 90 days before October 31.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,955,303 times
I received the following info this week via email from the Bexar County Assessor-Collector. If you live in another county, your county web site should have contact info for your local offices.

Quote:
Tax Assessor Preparing For Texas’ New Two Steps, One Sticker Program

Bexar County Tax Assessor-Collector, Albert Uresti, has been speaking throughout Bexar County at neighborhood and homeowner meetings to ensure that all drivers in our area are aware of the upcoming State’s transition to a new single-sticker system for vehicle inspections and registrations.

“The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles begins the “Two Steps, One Sticker” program for Texas drivers starting March 1, 2015. The concept behind this program is to align inspection and registration sticker expiration dates, so that both are due at the same time, and therefore require only one sticker. As the County’s official agent of the Department of Motor Vehicles, my office’s responsibility is to ensure that the driving public is aware of the change and how it will affect them. The first year will be a transition year and there may be some confusion, but as always, we are here to help,” said Albert Uresti.

In the new State system, vehicles will need to pass an inspection prior to renewal of their registration; however, the inspection stations will no longer issue a sticker; they will issue a vehicle inspection report (VIR). The cost of an inspection sticker will not change; however, instead of paying the inspection station the entire $14.50, drivers will pay the inspection station only $7, and the State’s portion, $7.50, will be paid at the Tax Assessor’s Office or a Title Service Company when obtaining the vehicle registration.

“When the vehicle passes inspection, the inspector will enter the vehicle identification number (VIN) into a statewide database. The County Tax Office should be able to verify the information on the State’s database at the time of registration and then issue a single sticker that will serve as proof of both inspection and registration. It is important for drivers to keep their vehicle inspection report as backup proof of an inspection,” said Uresti.

Vehicle Registration will continue to be available online, by mail, or in-person at the County’s Tax Office. If you mail in your registration, be sure and include a copy of your vehicle inspection report.

For more information, citizens can call the Tax Assessor’s Office at (210) 335-2251. The public can also visit the State’s website at Inspection and Registration -- Together At Last! | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV .

-TAC AU-

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,212,748 times
I renewed my registration today 2/28/15 I expired today
My Inspection sticker says 4/2015 and was going to do it sometime in the next month or so.
If what y'all are saying is correct, I won't need an inspection until next year 2/2016 when I renew my registration. Correct?

Old 03-01-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I renewed my registration today 2/28/15 I expired today
My Inspection sticker says 4/2015 and was going to do it sometime in the next month or so.
If what y'all are saying is correct, I won't need an inspection until next year 2/2016 when I renew my registration. Correct?
That is correct. Stickers are no longer issued, so you can't replace yours when it expires. You'll need to have the inspection done before renewing registration and in the last 90 days of the registration period ending on the last day of February.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM

286 posts, read 378,990 times
Default I am confused with the new Two Steps One sticker, pleae help!!!

Hello my fellow Texans,

I am in a dillema and I've contacted the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and even the Department of Public saftey. I get the run around, . My issue is that my regsitration on my truck was renewed JANUARY 2015. My Inspection is due MARCH 2015, I've been told by my neighbors that I have to get my inspection and just carry around the paper that says I passed. Then, other neighbors tell me that I don't have to get the inspection until next January 2016 when my registration is due again. Then other neighbors tell me that I have to get the registration AGAIN! even though I just renewed it but two months ago! I am confused, can somebody please help clarify this for me?!?!?

Thanks a billion.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,453,155 times
Here:

Inspection and Registration -- Together At Last! | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV

There is a date calculator on the right side that should help. Same issue with me...I guess. Got my older F150 inspected this month and the fella at the desk mentioned something about carrying around my paperwork...I guess until next inspection is due. Makes sense, since my inspection on that truck is obviously due next February while the registration is due in August of this year.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:53 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,804,779 times
First... a registration is a receipt for a state tax, you have the sticker, you're covered, you paid your tax.

The inspection is just to verify your vehicle is in specified operating condition. If your last/most recent inspection sticker is in the car window and current then your inspection is valid. If not, get one. If you already have the '15 registration in the window then in all likely hood... YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET A NEW ONE from the state.

If the inspection is expired then get the inspection done. The inspector will enter the transaction in the state database. If you're carried off to some black site for interrogation then just tell them to check with the state... oh, wait... they are the state. So, just show 'em the paper work for the inspection.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,917,481 times
Why not just go to the inspection place and ask them. I heard from the tax office they are going to use stickers to cover this situation, but that is just what I heard.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,987,895 times
My inspection expired in September & I didn't bother renewing because I was aware that inspection stickers would be abolished come March 1st. Why bother getting a new one? So I'll just get the inspection done when registration time rolls around.

The good thing about "2 Steps, 1 Sticker" is that it essentially forces people to get real inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: