Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,251 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm making a move to San Angelo in about 3 months and need to find a place to rent. I don't know anything about the area--good parts, bad parts. I've been looking online and I feel like there are no decent places coming up to rent. I'm looking for a SAFE neighborhood and a place that is dog friendly. Those are my priorities. House, townhouse, duplex, apartment, I don't care. Max rent I can pay is $1400. Does anyone have any ideas? Neighborhoods that are good or neighborhoods to stay away from? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,939,983 times
hey....the Southwest side by Lake Nasworthy is the best part of town from what I have always heard.good luck.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM

11,820 posts, read 26,702,422 times
Stay away from any place that feeds into Lakeview High School, or is close to Goodfellow AFB. That's the rougher side of town. Southwest is still the best part of town, too.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 AM

5,465 posts, read 12,201,762 times
It would help to know where you are working to direct you to neighborhood. The Southwest part of town is where all the growth is going, but there are certainly neighborhoods that are not in the Southwest part of town that are nice: Santa Rita, Paulann just to name two. Although if you settle in the southwest part of town, you will be closer to shopping/amenities. Look at neighborhoods like College Hills, Southland, Capitol Heights. In all those neighborhoods you will find some garden homes---smaller square footage than your normal home and small yards). I know there are new apartment complexes south on Sherwood Way past Sam's Club (I think they're called The Broadway or Boulevard or something) and there are new apartments near lower Bishop Hills (another neighborhood to check out).

Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,251 times
Thanks everyone! What are the odds of finding rent houses right now? I've heard there's quite a bit of oilfield traffic right now so not many rentals are available. Are apartment complexes better/safer in your opinion?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,939,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkTTU View Post
Thanks everyone! What are the odds of finding rent houses right now? I've heard there's quite a bit of oilfield traffic right now so not many rentals are available. Are apartment complexes better/safer in your opinion?
Anytime

Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM

29 posts, read 38,952 times
San Angelo is my hometown. I lived there from K-12, undergrad, and grad school. I lived in Encino Park Apartments during college. It is in a great location. Safe, close to everything, and good schools. However, the interiors were a bit dated in my opinion (back in 2009). Rent was approx. $900/mo for a 2 bed 2 bath.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 AM

4 posts, read 14,062 times
Smile San Angelo neighborhoods and schools

My family is moving to Angelo hopefully this summer. Drove around today and looked at houses. I would like to know what neighborhoods you recommend as kid friendly? We looked at Bentwood CC in the new sections, Saddle Club, Baker Ranch and the Bluffs. My sister in law told me the Bluffs were nice but that the soil the houses were built in settles way too much and people were moving because their foundations and walls were cracking...not sure if this is true but there were a lot of houses for sale. Amy recommendations for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools would be greatly appreciated! Also a realtor that works with military vets and knows about the va loan! TIA!!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:50 AM

5,465 posts, read 12,201,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzhugh74 View Post
My family is moving to Angelo hopefully this summer. Drove around today and looked at houses. I would like to know what neighborhoods you recommend as kid friendly? We looked at Bentwood CC in the new sections, Saddle Club, Baker Ranch and the Bluffs. My sister in law told me the Bluffs were nice but that the soil the houses were built in settles way too much and people were moving because their foundations and walls were cracking...not sure if this is true but there were a lot of houses for sale. Amy recommendations for a family friendly neighborhood with good schools would be greatly appreciated! Also a realtor that works with military vets and knows about the va loan! TIA!!
Any of the neighborhoods I mentioned earlier: College Hills, Southland, Santa Rita, would fit your needs. The neighborhoods you have been looking at (Saddle Club, Baker Ranch, the Bluffs, Bentwood) are higher dollar. So maybe you need to tell us what your housing budget is first and then the neighborhood recommendations will come easier. As a rule, I would stay south of the Houston Harte freeway or Beauregard Ave, with the possible exceptions of PaulAnn and some older, historic neighborhoods, that are smattered north of the freeway.

Lamar Elementary is a great school and Southland neighborhood feeds into it. Santa Rita is a great school and Santa Rita neighborhood feeds into it. Again, what is your price range?

As far as realtors, this is a military community, so finding a realtor who has experience with vets should be zero problem. There are even realtors who are retired military or who work specifically with vets. The realtor I have used is wonderful, although not a vet, but knows the area well and grew up here. I can PM you the name if you wish.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 14,062 times
Hi Cobalt!
Our budget is around $300,000. We liked the areas listed but want to make sure there are lots of kids for ours to play with. We really like Bentood the best but don't want to move there if it's only older families with no small children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas