Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:33 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times

Advertisements

yep. right on target. and yes, that's what i REALLY love about Texas, that even big cities in Texas have rural areas within commuting distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Really, you can't pick a place from us . We all love were we are, or hate it, and are from everywhere. A few points:
  • The economy in Texas is as good or better than anywhere in the US right now. Houston has a HUGE economy (something like the 32nd in the world if it was a nation). But all the big cities are doing fine at the moment.
  • Almost every big city has a rural environment with commuting distance, depending on where you work in the city. Houston and, to a lesser extend, Dallas, are a looong drive from one side to the other. Austin and San Antonio have closer rural areas, but are probably a little pricier for an equivalent rural set-up, at least in the hill country.
  • If weather is a factor, Houston is more humid but almost never freezes. Dallas/Austin/SA run down the center of the state and are dryer (but still may be considered humid, depending on where you are from), but get hotter and colder than the coast.
  • West Texas is dry and may get cold, esp. up in the panhandle, and jobs are probably a little harder to come by...less turnover, anyway. Lots of people are born and die in West Texas, at least that is my observation.
  • If you want piney woods, look to East Texas or upper coast. Oaks run down the middle of the state.
  • The northern part of the state is more of the bible belt, so there are some dry counties.
  • The panhandle is very agricultural. So is the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,869 times
runningfromjersey,

I've lived in Houston for several years and I like it, except for the long summer months of dreadful heat and humidity. But, it's the middle of January and so far we've had very few cool days this winter. That's nice if you don't enjoy low temperatures.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 PM

374 posts, read 982,336 times
The housing in the low to mid $100s could be a problem in Houston. North of San Antonio on I-35 fits your needs pretty well. The I-35 corridor is growing fast and you can buy a new home for that range with 1500 to 1700 sq feet and a decent lot. As for the younger crowd in Austin, New Braunfels, San Marcos and even Shertz/Cibolo are all within an hour of downtown Austin. San Marcos would be commuting to Austin and provide Texas State University for future education needs. I live in Schertz and its a little more family oriented, but I'm also only 30 minutes out of DT San Antonio (except for rush hour) if I wanted more. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
Well, I don't know everything about Texas, but I've been in San Antonio/Austin which I love personally. Houston/Galveston/Frederisburg/Corpus Christi and some other small towns. Therefore, I'll just speak for my own experience. We lived in Georgia for about a year before moving to Texas. So, it was a big difference and a little bit difficult to get used to it, in the beginning. We moved to Harlingen, TX. It's not a small town, but neither a big/ganster/crowded city as McAllen or Brownsville. Let's say it's kind of in between. It has everything! Two big hospitals, clinics, 2 movie teathers, one big mall, many so-so restaurants and "some" good ones that they just opened at the end of last year. I say that the main work field is "medical". Although, there are other jobs opportunities like administrative, contractors, school jobs and so on. One thing I've noticed lately, after a year of living here, is that the town is growing. A good thing could be: South Padre Island is only 40 minutes away, McAllen(45 min), Brownsville (20 min), Corpus Christi (2 hrs), San Antonio (4 hrs), Austin (5 hrs) ...so basically you can have it all, big cities, beaches, ports, etc. We like driving around so we really enjoy visiting those places as often as we can, mostly north, though! We almost never go to McAllen/Brownsville unless we need something that Harlingen doesn't have. But never on a fun trip. Anyways, another good thing that houses here are very cheap. You have to find the right area, though! Just an example, you can get a nice 1970's house, with a big pool and a nice neighborhood for about $150ks. Of course, there are other areas where you might find an average new-boxy house for only $90ks. Just remember it's location, location, location! So, here you go. I hope didn't forget anything. However, I'll leave a link for you to check it out in case you feel at least a little bit curious.

[url=//www.city-data.com/city/Harlingen-Texas.html]Harlingen, Texas (TX) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders[/url]

Maybe, this can tell you a little bit more. Best of luck!

PS- By the way, English is my second language so I'm sorry for any grammatical mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas