Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 10,246 times

Advertisements

We're looking for some retirement property, preferably on a lake big enough for recreational boating (my husband's idea of his retirement, even though we don't currently own a boat) We want to buy the lot now, 0.5-5 acres, and build in 5-10 years. Having lived in rapidly growing northwest Houston for several years, we're very concerned about future development, and are looking for property somewhat shielded from development by national forest, state park, etc. I don't want a Wal-mart growing in my backyard someday. A lakefront community is fine. We're looking to build a ~3000SF home and pay less than $150K for the property. We like plenty of trees and prefer not to live somewhere as flat as Houston. A slightly less humid climate would be nice but not necessary, since we're used to it by now. Can anyone recommend lakes in Texas that would fit this description and help get us started on the search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 12:40 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
If your not wanting right by a major city but close to a small town and small city then I would recommend going up I-30 out around Daingerfield and around Lake O The Pines. Lots of tall pine trees, nice, quiet and serene w/ some nice rolling hills. Yet the lake is large enough for a boat for rec or fishing. Far enough from Dallas that you won't get the idiots going out for just the day. The only other two I can think of at the time that I would suggest are Lake Tyler and Possum Kingdom Lake. Others that I have visited that might also suit you are Lake Buchanan (west of Burnett, Tx), Lake Whitney (west of Hillsboro) and Lake Granbury in Granbury.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:01 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Lake Travis in Austin is beautiful. Not sure about the price of land though.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Default Medina Lake

You might look at Medina Lake that is about 20 miles west of San Antonio. Here is a site that has access to the lake:

http://www.dancingbearranch.com/

Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,801 times
Canyon Lake is your best bet in my opinion. It's beautiful and living there is affordable:

Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,270 times
Medina Lake and Canyon Lake are both great opinions. Both are in metro San Antonio and provide lake side living with near city ammenities.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:02 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcbk View Post
We're looking for some retirement property, preferably on a lake big enough for recreational boating (my husband's idea of his retirement, even though we don't currently own a boat) We want to buy the lot now, 0.5-5 acres, and build in 5-10 years. Having lived in rapidly growing northwest Houston for several years, we're very concerned about future development, and are looking for property somewhat shielded from development by national forest, state park, etc. I don't want a Wal-mart growing in my backyard someday. A lakefront community is fine. We're looking to build a ~3000SF home and pay less than $150K for the property. We like plenty of trees and prefer not to live somewhere as flat as Houston. A slightly less humid climate would be nice but not necessary, since we're used to it by now. Can anyone recommend lakes in Texas that would fit this description and help get us started on the search?
Lake Whitney in Hill and Bosque Counties lies about 30 miles north of Waco and 65 miles south of Fort Worth. It is one of the more popular lakes in Texas. There are two states parks, Lake Whitney and Meridian.

It's noted for many types of fishing and lots of boating. It encompasses 37 square miles and 225 miles of shoreline that varies from 100 ft tall white bluffs to low lying sandy beaches (the bluffs are found on the eastern side of the lake; the low-lying beaches on the western side).

The nearest Wal-Mart is in Hillsboro and that's 15 miles from the town of Whitney. The humidity is still there but not like in Houston for sure!!

The population in the town of Whitney is under 2,000. It's located in Hill County. The area around here is not totally flat; there are some rolling areas and it's pretty for Texas. Meridian and Clifton are very nice little towns which also are close to Lake Whitney in Bosque County.

I believe you can get something really nice in your price range.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/Lake_whitney.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/lakewhitneypic.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 AM

216 posts, read 934,583 times
Lake Cherokee, South of Longview

Lake Palestine, Bullard side

Old 11-09-2006, 11:32 AM

613 posts, read 798,261 times
I live on Lone Star Lake. It is beauutiful especially now that the leaves are beautifiul colors. The lake is not too big, but just the right size for fishing, leisure boating, wave runners, and I even saw a sailboat out the other day. My daughter, neice and nephew all enjoy swimming and jumping off our pier. We have a marina across the lake. Property is very reasonable as the surrounding towns are very small (Daingerfield, Lone Star). We live on the "Jenkins Community" side of the lake, where we actually have a fire dept. close, which is nice. The lake is owned by Lone Star Steel. We have a beautiful view from our living room and actually cannot imagine just living on land anymore without the water. Sometimes I find myself complaining because I have nowhere to hang a picture in my living room, but then I remind myself...who needs to hang pictures when ya have the marvelous landscape and view I have!

You should check it out though. We are in East Texas---35 miles north of Longview, 20 miles south of Mt. Pleasant. We love our tall pines here and the friendly country atmosphere can't be beat. Good Luck

ps....I need to get some pics of my place posted on here. Will try to do that this weekend, so please check back!

Old 11-28-2006, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,194 times
When you do decide on a lake, I would suggest going to that lake on July 4th. I know Lake O The Pines and most other East Texas lakes are covered with drunken fools on any holiday that allows for sun and booze. Use common sense before you buy.

Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas