Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

I don't think I have ever seen anyone open carrying in the open carry states I have visited. I suspect there won't be all that many open carriers in Texas either. There is actually a long-running debate in the pro-gun community about open carry. While the consensus is that it should be a legal option, most people seem to have the opinion that they would rather conceal carry for a number of reasons (not being an obvious target, not being harassed in public, having your gun stolen, etc.).

It'll end up being a non-issue if passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
How about this - there is no proven correlation between allowing concealed or open carry and any decrease in violent crime. In fact, the data suggests a higher rate of aggravated assaults in open or concealed carry states.

So if you feel like you can't get through the day without carrying a gun you obviously have the right to, although I would question what is so fundamentally broken inside you that you need to have a gun on you. But don't delude yourself into thinking it makes you any safer or any less likely to experience violent crime. And while I'm sure that every CHL holder is profoundly sure of how awesome they are and how they can hold off an entire regiment of raving criminals with only their concealed carry weapon, there is again no data to support that, and most studies suggest the opposite - pulling out a gun is more likely to make things worse.

This is all about America's fetish with guns. Americans as a culture have this weird fetish with guns. Even though they are totally unnecessary to modern life, people seem to think it makes them....something. Guns complete them.
All states allow concealed carry to some degree. So which data do you speak of?

I think an interesting comparison is Texas vs. California. The two largest states in the country, both share a border with Mexico, and they have nearly opposite postures on gun laws.

Yet violent crime rates are nearly identical - with gun murder rates slightly lower in Texas.

Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I don't think I have ever seen anyone open carrying in the open carry states I have visited. I suspect there won't be all that many open carriers in Texas either. There is actually a long-running debate in the pro-gun community about open carry. While the consensus is that it should be a legal option, most people seem to have the opinion that they would rather conceal carry for a number of reasons (not being an obvious target, not being harassed in public, having your gun stolen, etc.).

It'll end up being a non-issue if passed.
I agree. Although I think the legislature has devoted too much time to something that doesn't matter much, it will end up being a non-issue.

The primary effect of this will be that gun owners who normally concealed carry and prefer to do so will not face arrest if they are inadvertently in a situation where their weapon is visible.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree. Although I think the legislature has devoted too much time to something that doesn't matter much, it will end up being a non-issue.

The primary effect of this will be that gun owners who normally concealed carry and prefer to do so will not face arrest if they are inadvertently in a situation where their weapon is visible.
Yes, I see that as the main benefit also.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:40 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
If open carry passes, it doesn't mean you MUST carry open. It just means you CAN. I certainly won't. It will be beneficial, however, on the chance that your weapon is briefly and unintentionally revealed...it would no longer be an offense.

My concern is that more businesses will put up the 30.06 sign (or whatever it ends up being) to prevent open carry in their establishments, even if they didn't have a problem with concealed carry.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
Louisiana has open carry I may see one person once in a blue moon openly carrying. Just remember criminals aren't going to openly carry.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:43 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

this was already fixed in a prior legislative session maybe 2 years ago.

I think people might open carry over the first year because of the novelty of it. That is the window in which bad things could happen which would set carry rights back.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=LeagleEagleDFW;38870896]Now guys will be able to openly advertise how insecure they are.
And you will hope they are around if you are ever in a mass shooting situation. Wait a minute, I was wrong. Likely those intent on killing everyone in sight would not pick a place where law-abiding citizens were "insecure" and carrying.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=Muzzle of Bees;38873445]In Virginia you can carry in bars. I don't hear of too many gun fights.
Of course you don't, MuzzleoB. That is because armed societies are polite societies. Those like LegalBeagal are all for their utopia...until it comes to when an armed citizen might save their a$$.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:13 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times
In 1986 when I was riding in a motorcycle club that was based in Texas, I had club business to take care of in Arizona. While there, we all carried open while riding. Anywhere we went we open carried. No problems whatsoever. Back in Texas, it was carrying only while traveling. No CHL in those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: