Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,122 times

Advertisements

dose anyone know about the ktw area growth and population wise I might be moving there im in the military I want to live in a place with plenty of things to do shopping eating so on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:01 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,615,903 times
Killeen is just about the same as any other U.S. military town. I was raised there since '94, left for a few years after high school (because military), then came back for another 8. Seven months ago I relocated once again.

For what you're asking there's not much at all. There's the lackluster Killeen mall for shopping and your basic chain restaurants along HWY 190, although you can find smaller places to eat that serve limited cuisines from very few world regions along Rancier and Veterans Memorial Blvd. Your best bet for shopping and a variety of food will be out of town, like Austin area, or any of the major cities. I haven't spent much time in Waco, but I haven't heard many positive comments about it. Same with Temple, unfortunately. Then again, I guess it depends on what sort of cuisine, clothing/items, etc. you're looking for. Some people are satisfied with just Walmart and McDonald's :P

Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,122 times
Killeen is closer to fort food than any
other city

Old 03-29-2015, 01:00 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,615,903 times
^Yes. I'm very much aware of that. Can you clarify your point? There's nothing exciting about Ft. Hood's food and shopping scene, if that's what you mean.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,818,128 times
First, forget about the Killeen-Temple-Waco relationship. The only thing Waco has to do with Killeen and Temple is that the TV (OTA) is headed from Waco, although the towers are closer to Temple. And you're not going to find anything in Waco that you can't get somewhere ese... excepting Baylor U.

The Killeen-Belton-Temple towns create a good size metro although Killeen and Temple are twenty miles apart. You can find about the same things you'd find in most any city/town in the U.S. Malls, big box stores, strip malls, drive through food, grocery stores, etc. You won't find as much 'fine dining' as the area isn't a destination for high end demand. There is some good food depending on what you like. You might find more 'other' foods in Killeen simply because of its exposure to a more transient population.

Austin is only an hour away where you can find most anything you want or think you need.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,809,213 times
Yes....Killeen, Temple and Belton are one larger metro area that is growing together and has a metro population of perhaps 400,000. The two main economic engines in the area are Fort Hood next to Killeen and Scott & White Medical Center in Temple. Otherwise it is basically a sprawling area of suburbs and light industrial with no central business area at all. Killeen has no real downtown, Temple has an old one that has little of interest. Belton is a smaller city and has the most vibrant and interesting downtown area but it feels more small town-ish. You will find all the big chain restaurants in the area and the typical big box stores but that is about it. If your idea of eating out is Chilis or Chipotle and your idea of shopping is Target and Home Depot then Killeen will be just fine.

Waco is too far to the north to be considered part of the same area. People do commute from Waco to Killeen but it is nearly an hour drive, especially if there is any delay on I-35 which is common these days with the construction. At that point you might as well also look at Austin or the towns in the north Austin suburbs like Georgetown which are almost as close to Killeen as Waco is.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,175,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliv4ever View Post
dose anyone know about the ktw area growth and population wise I might be moving there im in the military I want to live in a place with plenty of things to do shopping eating so on...
Texasdiver stated. Waco is a little far to be considered part of the Temple/ Killeen metropolitan area, but for an area of 400,000 it's decent. There's really not alot to do, but the area is growing.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 AM

20,529 posts, read 33,638,574 times
Killeen and Temple are your basic Texas overgrown small towns. The thing with Killeen is most people there aren't from Texas. This makes Killeen different than the areas surrounding it in Central Texas. It's funny how they've been hanging on to that Waco/Temple/Killeen thing. I guess because they really have no choice. Back in 1990, Waco had a pop of just over 100k and Killeen only had 46k and Temple even less than that. Fast forward 25 years later, Waco around 130k and Killeen now has nearly 140k. Before 1990, people in Killeen and Temple saw Waco as the biggest city in the region. But since 1990, Killeen and Temple have grown apart from Waco and basically formed their own metro.

Last edited by Spade; 03-30-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,809,213 times
The only reason that Waco is lumped in with Killeen and Temple is because the TV stations put their broadcast antennas along I-35 between Waco and Temple and then broadcast to the whole area as if it were one metro instead of having separate stations for the two areas. So those few remaining people who watch the local news on TV will get the impression that it is one area as it is reported as such. But those of us who actually live here know better. There are separate newspapers for the different cities so, for example, the Waco Tribune only really reports local Waco news and never anything on Killeen. It is just the TV stations that cover the whole area as one.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,818,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The only reason that Waco is lumped in with Killeen and Temple is because the TV stations put their broadcast antennas along I-35 between Waco and Temple and then broadcast to the whole area as if it were one metro instead of having separate stations for the two areas. So those few remaining people who watch the local news on TV will get the impression that it is one area as it is reported as such. But those of us who actually live here know better. There are separate newspapers for the different cities so, for example, the Waco Tribune only really reports local Waco news and never anything on Killeen. It is just the TV stations that cover the whole area as one.
I skip the usual news/weather on TV stations from Waco. The weather forecast from KXAN (NBC) in Austin is closer to the weather I experience in Temple. When the weather is extreme KXAN streams live and podcasts on Livestream dot com (PC and Roku). Makes a big difference in winter.

I guess fifty/sixty years ago nobody could tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: