Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,428 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I just recently moved my family from San Antonio to Kerrville. We've always liked Kerrville & were hoping to find a nice piece of property where my kids could ride their horses & be safe. However, after we moved we began hearing things about Kerrville & our street in particular (Ranchero Road) having a lot of drug related activity. I was wondering if this is true & did I just put my family in a dangerous location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:50 PM

268 posts, read 357,489 times
You arent immune to crime, but you can try to keep yourself from being a victim.

With that said, i love Kerrville. I havnt heard anything in particular about Ranchero Rd.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 AM

227 posts, read 385,696 times
I don't know that street at all and there will always be some not so good areas. However I don't recall ever feeling unsafe in Kerrville when I have visited. Beautiful place in the hill country. I could happily live in Kerrville.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady443 View Post
...we began hearing things about Kerrville & our street in particular (Ranchero Road) having a lot of drug related activity.
Ranchero Rd. is NOT in the city limits of Kerrville and as with most rural roads, has a lot of low-income housing like mobile homes and manufactured homes. IOWs, people live there because it's cheaper. As with most similar areas, it relies on the limited resources of the county sheriff for law enforcement thereby making it attractive to law-breaking types. That having been said, I feel sure there are plenty of upstanding people who live along that road as well.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 14,428 times
Thank ya'll for your replies. Yes we picked Ranchero Road because it was just outside the city limits so we could keep our horses and be close to town and to the hospital (one of my daughters is disabled and it was important we didn't isolate ourselves out in the boonies). We are just a regular family and didn't necessarily have the money to buy in a fancy gated community but this property we bought on Ranchero Road was affordable and we really like it. However, after we moved some people said stuff about Ranchero Road having a lot of drug related activity and I can't tell if this is true or if someone was being a little "dramatic". We really like our location and would like to stay here but I don't want my daughter living in a dangerous area. So I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this about Ranchero Road (and maybe we need to relocate) or if it's just the same as any other neighborhood--you have some good neighbors and some bad but in the end Kerrville has a low crime rate and the chances of you (or your kids) being a victim are slim compared to other cities?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaslady443 View Post
...in the end Kerrville has a low crime rate and the chances of you (or your kids) being a victim are slim compared to other cities?
You answered your own question about as well as anyone can. What your kids grow up to be will depend largely on their influences at home and how much loving care and guidance they receive in spite of all the negatives tempting them these days.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:24 PM

31 posts, read 44,609 times
You're probably fine. There are some fairly sketchy areas on Ranchero Rd. However, when you're in those areas you will know it. A mile or so in from Sidney Baker there's a Mini-Mart w/an apt. complex kind of across the street from it. I wouldn't suggest living there. There are also some parts just off Sidney Baker that have some older mobile homes that looks like a less than desirable place to live. Otherwise, I think any property that would accommodate horses should be just fine.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,333 times
There have been reports of gang activity in Kerrville, including motorcycle gangs and members of the Aryan Brotherhood who have been jailed following arrests on multiple felony accusations. Kerrville is not exempted from drugs and violence related to drugs. Be careful in and around Kerrville, particularly near the river.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:24 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
My nephew has been a Kerrville cop for 30+ years. Next time I see him I'll inquire about that area - although it's outside KPD jurisdiction.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,654 times
Kerrville is basically off the beaten path and is a haven for gang activity, particularly near the river. My advice would be to live closer to San Antonio where law enforcement is strong. Perhaps Boerne or Spring Branch would be a better choice. New Braunfels is a safe place. Kerrville is not the most convenient or the safest in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas