Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who is familiar with Victoria, TX give me some zip codes that are in good areas, safe enough for an older (80ish) woman to live on her own...
My husband's sister is currently living in mobile home she bought about 10 yrs ago when she divorced her husband--moved it to a new mobile home park but over time the manager has become very unfriendly, there are lot of not-so-nice people in the mobile homes HE rents out, and her mobile home is starting to really show its age...

My husband has cash and I think he would like to buy a small house and rent it to her...but while she has lived in Victoria for decades, I am not sure she is really current with how some of the areas of town might have changed.
We have been there for short visits and last few times can tell that the oil shale drilling boom has caused lot of growth--and the plants apparently are going well--so lot of people...know RE is probably $$--
all the more reason to know better areas from not so good...

any zip codes or neighborhoods that would maybe be a good fit?

we might be willing to try a duplex--buy both sides--let her stay in one and rent other to good renter
she doesn't need lot of room but I think it would be harder to find a 2/2 in good area vs a 3/2

appreciate any suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,890 times
When I lived there in 2005-2007 as a single female in my late 30s, I bought a 1300sf house on Fernwood Circle in the Fleetwood subdivision. It was a quiet area with really nice neighbors. Then, the homes there were in the $90-130k range.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 AM

thanks--I was looking on Realtor.com and other sites and saw some homes there

Old 04-13-2015, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 18,081 times
There are brand-new duplexes here: Victoria Board of REALTORS

And another that is older but still in a safe area: Victoria Board of REALTORS

I also saw a listing today for a 2 bedroom 1 bath home in downtown Victoria for $2,000 a month. Maybe talk to a realtor. Houses have gotten pretty pricey in the past few years. Have you considered Cuero, TX? It's a quaint nearby city that might be a better community to retire in.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
If you go to //www.city-data.com/city/Victoria-Texas.html and scroll down to the multi color city map it displays areas color coded by Median Household Income, but if you click on that header you can also display color coded map over lays for Unemployment, Cost of Living, Median House or Condo Value, Age and other demographics.

Also Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data shows the areas color coded by crime rates.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 18,081 times
Here are brand-new townhouses for 200k: Victoria Board of REALTORS

And a not so new, but nice IMO, townhouse at $150k: Victoria Board of REALTORS

Homes have gotten pricey in the last few years. I saw a 2 bedroom 1 bath rental posted today at $2,000 a month. Have you looked at Cuero, TX? It's a smaller community nearby that may be better suited for retirement.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks for reminding me about City Data's other side--
will share that with my husband

My sister in law doesn't want to relocate-
she is over 80 and wants to stay by her friends--
she would stay where she is be the guy who runs her mobile home park is just to squirrly to deal with

Old 04-13-2015, 02:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
There are parts of Victoria that are prone to flooding, you probably want to avoid them, the West side along the river.

That Trulia map I posted can also display flood plains with the Hazards tab, but it isn't working for me right now.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,760 times
Parkstone, among many other neighborhoods would be wonderful. Parkstone is very close to Victoria mall, Walmart, Lowes, Hobby Lobby, and Big Lots. I would always be glad to help you find that perfect home. There are several zip codes in this area that will include nice neighborhoods.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:20 PM

we drove around to see homes there Monday w/ my sister in law--looking at ones we thought might work based on MLS photos and location...we were looking in the 130-150K price point--
not much was that attractive mainly because of the other homes on the street...
Thursday we went w a RE agent who works in office of broker our SIL is long time friends with-- we saw maybe 2 that were good interior, lot fairly dry (after lot of rain previous days) and decent street...but they were 1100 sq ft--
husband thought that was just too small for his sister to be comfortable in

were planning to leave and just want for new listings and likely higher price point
then RE agent called and said new listing went on market today--
we went -- was nice, 2 yrs old, so put in contract and bought it--
higher price point for more desireable area but hopefully that will pay off when we need to sell...
the seller agreed while we were in office--full price offer but at least no bidding war
nice homes under 200K are selling within 3-4 days of listing...
right now even w/shale drilling in trouble that area is very competitive for houses--good or not...even bad ones are selling to be rental property...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas