Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,249 times

Advertisements

I'm currently trying to find a rental house/apartment but I have a pit mix and nobody here will allow it.

The pound we got her at listed her as a lab/retriever mix and the vet labeled her the same from the pound paperwork.
She is very obviously a pit/lab mix though.

Can I just tell them she is a lab mix with paperwork to prove it even though she looks just like a pit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Hang your hat on what the vet/pound lists her as, since Pit Bull is not necessarily a discrete breed anyway. From Wiki:

Quote:
The term pit bull is often used loosely to describe dogs with similar physical characteristics, and the morphological (physical) variation amongst "bully breed" dogs makes it difficult for anyone, even experts, to visually identify them as distinct from "non-pit bulls". While mixed breed dogs are often labeled as "pit bulls" if they have certain physical characteristics such as a square shaped head or bulky body type, visual identification of mixed breed dogs is not recommended by the scholarly community

Old 04-14-2015, 02:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
I wouldn't say anything about pit bull or anything of the sort. I don't know much about dogs; I can tell you soon as someone as myself hears that term they will say no.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:33 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
If the pound and vet paperwork both say lab mix...say lab mix. Never say pit if you don't have too.

That said, my own rescue dog was listed as a lab mix and many people ask if he is lab/pit mix. He does have a couple of physical characteristics of pits...but also those characteristics are similar in other breeds as well. So I always say lab mix.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
We just rented an apartment with a dog that is officially a boxer mix. No issues as long as the guideline don't prohibit "American Staffordshire Terriers or mixes of same."

Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,753 times
Its all about her behavior, if she's pushy, barks, tries too hard to get at other dogs, she's going to frighten people. Contrary to what most pet owners think, they are the only ones who think their dog is "just being friendly" when it is lunging and wildly trying to get at another dog or person. If she is quiet, friendly with any and everything and doesn't drag you around while gagging herself with her collar, you'll probably be fine, nobody will question whatever you decide to say she is. Some landlords though are starting to require DNA proof that a dog contains not a drop of Pit Bull or any breed associated with Pit Bull type (Staffordshire, American Staffordshire, American Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Boxer mix etc). Be prepared, Pit Type dogs are serious insurance liabilities for property owners, so they are getting more and more strict about it as more and more owners of the dogs lie about what they have to get around rules and restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas