Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:34 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times

Advertisements

Today I took my car to be inspected and it passed. After I paid, he gave me the vehicle inspection report and told me the law had changed as of 3/1/2015. For the past 19 years, TX drivers are legally required to display two stickers in our lower left windshield: one showing current registration and the other showing currenct inspection. Now, you don't get a separate inspection sticker and the registration represents both things. You are supposed to mail the copy of your passing inspection report to Austin for mail-in renewals and they send you your registration sticker. Thus the state won't renew your registration unless your inspection is also valid. This new system seems not only stupid but unfair to drivers. Linking registrations with inspections is likely to lead to a lot of errors and a lot of nonrenewals for BOTH inspections AND registrations when drivers can't afford to fix mechanical problems with their vehicles. Isn't it better for the state to keep receiving the monies via car registrations at least? Which politician came up with this harebrained scheme? Or is this really a good idea? What are your thoughts?

TXDMV.GOV - Two Steps, One Sticker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,804,283 times
Make it easy on yourself. Get the inspection, pay the inspector his fee. Go online according to the Registration the state sends to you yearly. Go through the process which will verify that you have insurance and that the inspector has entered your successful (or failed) inspection status in the state database*. The state will verify this information BEFORE you complete the process. About 17 seconds.

You can pay by credit card. Or you can do the mail in thing if that's what suits you. The doc the inspector gave you is your PROOF of valid inspection, don't lose it until you have your new sticker from the state. Takes about a week. Once received you can remove the out of date stickers and apply the new - one sticker only... which is the hardest part of the process**.

* The only event in which you are supposed/required to mail in the inspector report is NEVER
**I do know this from very recent experience

See the video at this link... >>> http://twostepsonesticker.com/

Old 04-17-2015, 10:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
My car's registration came due this month but my inspection is good through May
we went to courthouse annex last week and got my registration updated--
woman said that my inspection is good for an extra year now because it was in effect for 2015 after my registration expired.
With updated registration, it was automatically extended w/o needing new sticker--still shows the 5/5 numbers...
BEFORE I go in to get my next registration, I take my car to be inspected----the people will put the new inspection data into state computer and won't give me a new sticker--just take off the old...
Then when I get my 2016 registration done, they will check the inspection info online--
if car doesn't have updated inspection info in 2016 car won't get new registration sticker...

So my car basically gets a free pass on 2015 inspection--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: