U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,720 times

Advertisements

Of the valley Harlingen is by far the better town to move to if you have to come here. There isn't any country music here (mentioned further down the thread). Not speaking Spanish is not as big a hindrance as it is elsewhere down here. Treasure Hills would be an adequate place for your daughter to begin school but by 3rd grade (at latest) try private school. Not knowing Spanish will not be the difficulty in getting a clerical job but the fact that you need connections for minimal jobs here.

As a general rule if you LOVE some place then moving anywhere else doesn't usually work. Please reconsider before coming to the valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSIE View Post
My husband was just offered a job in Harlingen and I am curious if anyone can shed some lite on the area for me. We currently live in San Antonio and I absolutely LOVE it here. My biggest concern is that we are anglo and do not speak an ounce of Spanish-- I have a feeling we will be looked down upon because we do not speak spanish??? We have a 4 year old daughter that will be starting school in August and I'm really worried about her fitting in and getting a good education-- also she is very BLONDE.
Where are the best schools located - do they have any private schools?? any advise on "great" neighborhood locations??
Any help would be appreciated---- I just want to know if we are going to have a hard time "FITTING IN" ????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,811 times
Hi and help! I just came back from 4 wonderful days in Harlingen. I have 2 children ages 13 and 11, we are relocating to the area next month from Michigan. I am concerned about the schools, we are looking at housing in the Bonham Elem. and Vernon Middle school area. Is it safe there? Will my children ever feel "at home" here? Should I check private schools? ANY information is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim91870 View Post
Hi and help! I just came back from 4 wonderful days in Harlingen. I have 2 children ages 13 and 11, we are relocating to the area next month from Michigan. I am concerned about the schools, we are looking at housing in the Bonham Elem. and Vernon Middle school area. Is it safe there? Will my children ever feel "at home" here? Should I check private schools? ANY information is greatly appreciated.
Have you already moved? & if so, How do you like the area and the schools? We are relocating from Fort Worth in a few weeks. My kids are a 19 month old girl and a 12 yr old boy. Please let me know (when you get there) what your kids think of those schools; my son will also attend Vernon M.S. in January.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,811 times
We haven't moved yet, we are scheduled to leave on the 20th of December, I will post as soon as I have any information.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,417 times
Default Help me locate sister kathleen murray!

Searching for kathleen n. Murray ssj of harlingen, texas. Contact lorrie brodeur scott @abenaki.scott37@gmail.com

Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times
Hello everyone, I jus happen to log on here, im new to this site.
Well im from st.louis and my job is opening a new site in Harlingen and I was possibly considering it, but I was questioning how it was there. I have a son who is 5 and yes we are black and I was hoping it didnt make a difference..lol but anyway I have visited Dallas and Waco, and I love them both, I was kinda hoping Harlingen may be the same way. And I see Bosie, received alot of good things and also some schools. That was prett helpful as well.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSIE View Post
My husband was just offered a job in Harlingen and I am curious if anyone can shed some lite on the area for me. We currently live in San Antonio and I absolutely LOVE it here. My biggest concern is that we are anglo and do not speak an ounce of Spanish-- I have a feeling we will be looked down upon because we do not speak spanish??? We have a 4 year old daughter that will be starting school in August and I'm really worried about her fitting in and getting a good education-- also she is very BLONDE.
Where are the best schools located - do they have any private schools?? any advise on "great" neighborhood locations??
Any help would be appreciated---- I just want to know if we are going to have a hard time "FITTING IN" ????
This post is quite old, so I don't know if you ever made the move to Harlingen. I hope that you did and have found that it's not as scary as you thought. I grew up in Harlingen and was also very blonde. I never had any problems fitting in. Everything I learned and went through living in Harlingen has helped me in my adult life. I moved away, to look for greener pastures, but I'm now ready to go back and retire there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas