U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 46,097 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a job in Harlingen and I am curious if anyone can shed some lite on the area for me. We currently live in San Antonio and I absolutely LOVE it here. My biggest concern is that we are anglo and do not speak an ounce of Spanish-- I have a feeling we will be looked down upon because we do not speak spanish??? We have a 4 year old daughter that will be starting school in August and I'm really worried about her fitting in and getting a good education-- also she is very BLONDE.
Where are the best schools located - do they have any private schools?? any advise on "great" neighborhood locations??
Any help would be appreciated---- I just want to know if we are going to have a hard time "FITTING IN" ????
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 AM

2,259 posts, read 9,095,604 times
Treasure Hills is a good location to live in Harlingen. There is also an elementary school that services that neighborhood. The country club area in Palm Valley is a good place as well, Stuart Place elementary school is the elementary school for that neighborhood. There is also a really nice neighborhood across the street from the country club, I don't know what it's called, but the houses are much bigger more expensive on a larger piece of property. You kind of get a country estate feel there.

There are a couple of private schools, a catholic one - St Anthony's and also St Albans (I think that's the name).

St. Alban's Episcopal Day School

Saint Anthony Catholic School in Harlingen, Texas

I don't think you'll have a hard time fitting in if you're outgoing and open to meeting new people. Harlingen seems to have a good mix of anglo and hispanic people, but there will be more hispanics for sure. There is not as much to do as in San Antonio, that will be a shocker, lol. South Padre is nearby - 20 mins or so, that will be fun if you like the beach.

Last edited by Spree; 01-17-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Thank you so much for the information 'spree'.... and if you think of the name of that other subdivision (across from the country club) please let me know.
Any other info about Harlingen is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM

2,259 posts, read 9,095,604 times
>>and if you think of the name of that other subdivision (across from the country club) please let me know.<<

It's called Nueces Park, it's in the 78552 zip code, as well as the country club. Treasure Hills will be in the 78550 zip.

The local newspaper is Valley Morning Star : Homepage

Last edited by Spree; 01-17-2008 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-19-2008, 01:53 PM

238 posts, read 715,055 times
Three words: try further north.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Can I ask you Wade_Word, WHY do you say try further north??

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,385,596 times
has he already accepted the job or is it not too late to JUST SAY NO?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Status: "Got my first COVID vaccine shot." (set 6 days ago)

50,381 posts, read 40,460,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSIE View Post
My husband was just offered a job in Harlingen and I am curious if anyone can shed some lite on the area for me. We currently live in San Antonio and I absolutely LOVE it here. My biggest concern is that we are anglo and do not speak an ounce of Spanish-- I have a feeling we will be looked down upon because we do not speak spanish??? We have a 4 year old daughter that will be starting school in August and I'm really worried about her fitting in and getting a good education-- also she is very BLONDE.
Where are the best schools located - do they have any private schools?? any advise on "great" neighborhood locations??
Any help would be appreciated---- I just want to know if we are going to have a hard time "FITTING IN" ????
I wouldn't fret over fitting in, Bosie. Moving to new places always brings anticipation and anxiety. That's just normal. If you're coming in from San Antonio, it shouldn't be too difficult. You may feel a slight culture shock, being so close to Mexico, but you'll do fine there. Make sure you surround yourself with good support groups, maybe a church or some neighborhood group of some sort. For your child, a good private school might be the best way to go. It's smaller, and most of the public high schools down there are relatively large.

Keep us posted!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

bellestaroftexas ---he has not totally accepted the job, but it's looking like he is going to (90% sure)-- I have read some of your other blogs about the area and it's scares the heck out of me because you seem to be a lot like me -- country music, etc.....
I think my biggest concern is not being able to speak spanish and I wonder if that is going to be a big problem for me getting a job (in the clerical, administrative field) ??
I don't have a problem meeting new people, but are they going to be as accepting of me as I am to them???

And case44- you say a private school would be the way to go for my daughter-- are the public elementary schools ( like treasure hills or stuart place) not very good?? I am more worried about my daughter's safety and getting a good education than anything else

Last edited by BOSIE; 01-21-2008 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Status: "Got my first COVID vaccine shot." (set 6 days ago)

50,381 posts, read 40,460,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSIE View Post
bellestaroftexas ---he has not totally accepted the job, but it's looking like he is going to (90% sure)-- I have read some of your other blogs about the area and it's scares the heck out of me because you seem to be a lot like me -- country music, etc.....
I think my biggest concern is not being able to speak spanish and I wonder if that is going to be a big problem for me getting a job (in the clerical, administrative field) ??
I don't have a problem meeting new people, but are they going to be as accepting of me and I am to them???

And case44- you say a private school would be the way to go for my daughter-- are the public elementary schools ( like treasure hills or stuart place) not very good?? I am more worried about my daughter's safety and getting a good education than anything else
I just want for you to have the best possible situation. Honestly, I don't know much about RGV area schools and how they are, but I do have a friend who is from that area. I'll see if I can get some info from her. All I know is, they have a number of large high schools. Obviously, your daughter is many years away from that. My best advice is do your research by talking around. You may want to talk to some of the locals about their public school system in Harlingen. If you have a realtor, talk to him/her. Hearing from others helps. In border communities, there will be a higher Hispanic population, too, and more so than what you had in SA. A private school would be smaller and can offer better attention to your child. Ultimately, it's up to you to make the final decision, but the more you know, the better and safer your family will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas