Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Thanks for all the great information. I have a much better idea of where to start looking, and what
to scratch off my list. Dennison, Sherman, and Tyler sound like the top 3 areas for me to explore. Now I just need to compare the areas for recreation, crime, and housing, as well as, overall appeal. Thanks again.
No prob..glad to help...the city of Tyler welcomes you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 PM

195 posts, read 330,372 times
I just looked at Sherman and Denison on Google Maps using random Street Views. Wow I just don't see myself living there. I know once you get used to a place, it feels and looks different, but not having any connection to these places, the old infrastructure that I saw makes me feel depressed. Generally speaking, I need assurance from people who live there that it is a great place to live. I figure if others love a place then I can come to love it, as well. But at this very moment, I feel discouraged. I am going to look at Tyler next. But maybe all the small cities in Texas look this way?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:50 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,130,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I just looked at Sherman and Denison on Google Maps using random Street Views. Wow I just don't see myself living there. I know once you get used to a place, it feels and looks different, but not having any connection to these places, the old infrastructure that I saw makes me feel depressed. Generally speaking, I need assurance from people who live there that it is a great place to live. I figure if others love a place then I can come to love it, as well. But at this very moment, I feel discouraged. I am going to look at Tyler next. But maybe all the small cities in Texas look this way?

I can only speak for Tyler: it may not be the epicenter of culture and urbanity, but it doesnt have that desolate feel that alot of North Texas can have once you get away from the Metroplex....Tyler is growing at a breakneck pace, for better or for worse, which should tell you that there are at least a few people who enjoy Tyler...I know I certainly would move back in a heartbeat, if the circumstances were right. This isnt to say that Denison and Sherman arent growing and thriving, but I know for a fact that Tyler is attracting people and businesses by the dozens.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
You should take about 3-4 days and make a trip down to TX to see some of the areas mentioned.

Like houses in our RE business, don't judge an area by a bunch of pictures on the internet. You need to see the areas first hand.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I can only speak for Tyler: it may not be the epicenter of culture and urbanity, but it doesnt have that desolate feel that alot of North Texas can have once you get away from the Metroplex....Tyler is growing at a breakneck pace, for better or for worse, which should tell you that there are at least a few people who enjoy Tyler...I know I certainly would move back in a heartbeat, if the circumstances were right. This isnt to say that Denison and Sherman arent growing and thriving, but I know for a fact that Tyler is attracting people and businesses by the dozens.
Thank you. I am just feeling a little nervous and don't want to regret moving some place. Without having any connection to a place, it makes one overly sensitive to initial impressions.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,055,156 times
Remember if you rent your not toooooo committed. Yes some expense, but if you have a small place and even rent to own furniture. Tyler does welcome you.

Remember Tyler is the medical center of East Texas, from the Oklahoma border to Houston. The Saudi Arabian Prince, that just died, flew into the Texas Joint & Spine Hospital here for treatment here several years ago. The number one employer is medical related jobs. Just take your time while looking at Tyler. Tyler is a complete stand alone city, meaning it has low end housing and older, poorer areas, but much of the old is nice as well, many newer areas. There are industrial parts, but have declined in the last 10 years, Tyler lost many high paying manufacturing jobs.

I think you may be surprised Texas and East Texas has more litter than you have where you now live. You just need to take a look. Best to you.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Thank you for this post. Desolate is the word I was looking for. This really helped. I think Tyler might have the kind of look and feel I am seeking.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Remember if you rent your not toooooo committed. Yes some expense, but if you have a small place and even rent to own furniture. Tyler does welcome you.

Remember Tyler is the medical center of East Texas, from the Oklahoma border to Houston. The Saudi Arabian Prince, that just died, flew into the Texas Joint & Spine Hospital here for treatment here several years ago. The number one employer is medical related jobs. Just take your time while looking at Tyler. Tyler is a complete stand alone city, meaning it has low end housing and older, poorer areas, but much of the old is nice as well, many newer areas. There are industrial parts, but have declined in the last 10 years, Tyler lost many high paying manufacturing jobs.

I think you may be surprised Texas and East Texas has more litter than you have where you now live. You just need to take a look. Best to you.
Thanks, Mark. What do you mean Texas and East Texas has more litter? I hope that was a typo.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,055,156 times
Maybe more litter than you are used too. I'm extremely littler conscience, and pick it up often. It's just not, I guess, as clean as a few other places in the country that I have been too. Even in front of gyms, the parking lot, people leave the gym but throw down their plastic water bottles, drink cups. Tyler has a Keep Tyler Beautiful Committee to clean parks, stream beds, and plant trees, flowers, but it is that some people just don't care, I'd hate to see the insides of their houses.

But again, I don't know what you are used too, some people don't even see what I'm talking about.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,469,829 times
I would look at the towns south of Dallas like Waxahachie, Corsicana, Ovilla, or Midlothian. They all have easy highway access to Dallas, and they are still mainly rural.

There are some good towns west of Fort Worth too. Weatherford, Granbury, Mineral Wells, Stephenville, and Springtown all probably meet your requirements too.

Granbury, Stephenville, Waxhachie, and Weatherford(opening soon) all have HEB grocery stores, which is a big positive IMO.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-21-2015 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas