Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:29 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Agreed.....but in Austin it's bad form to get a Chupacabra from a breeder.

Much better to get a Rescue Chupa.

lmao

Note to the OP: The chupacabra (translation: goat sucker) is a fictional creature. According to Mexican folk tales, it attacks goats and drinks their blood in the night. In reality, it's likely coyotes that attack goats.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Funny post. Although I do not live in TX you constantly hear about Dallas being prejudice towards blacks and pretty much everyone who is not white....But then again you hear that about Boston as well. It's what you make of it, but I do believe in little nuggets of truth to some degree.
Really? I've lived in about eleven states and three countries, my kids are biracial, and I've honestly never heard that Dallas is particularly racist.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I've lived in rural southwest Michigan, Eastern Michigan (Ypsi), Buffalo, NY and now Houston, TX. I would say that of all these places, the most racist was probably Buffalo. Buffalo is just so racially segregated, and because it is so majority white, whites (myself included) didn't really even think too much of the segregation--it was just the way it was. There are plenty of individual racists in southwest Michigan, and I met a lot of them. Probably 50% of the whites I knew at least harbored some overtly racist sentiments. Eastern Michigan around Ypsi and Ann Arbor was very liberal, but there was as much structural racism there as anywhere. Ann Arbor was mostly white and mostly rich while Ypsi was mostly not white and mostly poor.

Houston has the institutional racism thing going on, and also there are lots of whites here who subscribe to the idea that we are all somehow given an "equal" shot and it's just black "culture" that's to blame for the struggles of black communities here. Nevertheless, I think less white people as a percentage of the whole are overtly racist here than anywhere I've been. Because this town is majority minority, there is more day-to-day interaction between races and I think this helps. It keeps people from having time to develop and sustain fantasies about how the "other" lives.
The whole state is majority/minority. Statewide less than 50 percent of the population is white/non Hispanic. Texas is one of just a handful of states with these demographics. Personally I think it makes Texas among the best, most dynamic states to live in.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
When people say "Dallas is a racist town", what they really mean is:

The cities around Dallas are racist towns.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The whole state is majority/minority. Statewide less than 50 percent of the population is white/non Hispanic.
There is no such thing as "majority minority."

In Texas, Hispanics are not a minority, they are the majority. Non-Hispanic whites now are part of the minority.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:02 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Anyway...what you will hear about on the forums is about "their" stuff...their land, their air, their roads, their highways...et cetera.
You made a similar comment in the thread 'Do Texans feel distinct from Americans from other states?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I just get the biggest kick out of your posts and how you take ownership of Texas!
I'm curious as to how you think Texans are suppose to address their state. You obviously think they shouldn't say my state. This overflows into all the aspects of the state i.e. roads, highways, etc. If Texans pay to build the roads and highways across the state, we drive on the roads and highways every day and we pay to maintain them, then why do you feel it's improper for a Texan to say our highways? If we are describing the very air we breathe (i.e. our air is polluted or our air is clean), why is it considered improper by you when we say our air? As to land, most of it is private owned and so who cares if you think it's proper or improper when we call it as such? Matter of fact, who cares if you like it or not how we address our state and whatever lies within it's borders.

We also say our country when talking about America. Does that bother you as well?

Since we're on the subject, is it only Texas and Texans that offend you when calling their state, their state or does it spill over to the other states/cities as well? LOL Hey there New Yorker, what do you mean when you say "my city is the best city in the world" Huh? Your city? Really? Wow! You own the city of New York? Whoa, really!

LOL In your attempt to try and belittle people for making everyday type remarks, this is an example of how people are looking back at you. Just one big WOW!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
There is no such thing as "majority minority."

In Texas, Hispanics are not a minority, they are the majority. Non-Hispanic whites now are part of the minority.
"Minority" refers to their percentage of the US population. Hispanics are still minorities nationwide. That is why Texas is called a majority minority state.

Based on the 2010 census Hispanics are not the majority in Texas. Non Hispanic whites are still the largest group.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:11 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
5 more years under the already long (and I mean long) Obama rule and a lot can change in 5 years. Heck, a lot can change in a month or a year, much less 5 years.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Even if whites were the minority as a flat demographic, which we are not, that is not the sole test. When there are less than 50% white representatives, senators and ceo's, then whites will be able to claim minority status. Not until then.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The main difference you'll notice is a more conservative view on everything mostly on government and more religious generally. Hispanics are among the most religious group in US and their largely Catholic. Then of course there is all the other religions represented. The real question is why your moving here as to what you want in life. Or Nevada. Without saying its impossible to tell you if Texas is a better fit for you and your family. I think perhaps there is some reason to leave California surely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas