Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 PM

105 posts, read 106,398 times

Advertisements

^^^^

Oh.

Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Yeah. Envy.
Finally someone who understood my comment. Wow I see many Texans on this board took it as an insult. A lot of hyper sensitive Texans on this board. Geez you would think I was a smug European criticizing America!

Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Finally someone who understood my comment. Wow I see many Texans on this board took it as an insult. A lot of hyper sensitive Texans on this board. Geez you would think I was a smug European criticizing America!
In case you haven't noticed, Texas is often singled out for insulting by many, many different people, especially (but not limited to) on this board.

For the record though, I wasn't insulted - I just said Texans shouldn't care what other Americans, or what Europeans, think about them.

Carry on.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Yeah. Envy.
LOL, exactly!!!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Yes, Texans have a special affinity to their state, but this isn't unusual. New Yorkers and people from Wis also have this kind of attitude about their own state/city. Not that unusual.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:47 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
While Texas definitely has probably the most distinct identity of any state, it's still not all that unique from it's neighbours. A small hillbilly town in Texas is the same as a small hillbilly town in Oklahoma: Dull, boring and crappy. Not everywhere in Texas is amazing. There's lots of ghettos all over the state, in Austin, in Dallas, in San Angelo. My first time ever seeing cocaine was in Texas, and I grew up in Miami!

But then Texas has the beautiful spots. The plains of north and west central Texas, the hills and mesas. I love it's western frontier feel. I haven't been to the desert yet, but you see the desert influence as you go west. The shrubbery, the cacti, the landscape. There's all kinds of people. Friendly and polite people, but also a bunch of jerks. There's racists and sexists. But there's also the kind of people who don't take kindly to bigotry. There's ignorant people like everywhere else.

It does definitely have a distinct identity. No other state is prouder of itself than Texas, that's for sure. Even with New York and California, it's more of a city thing than state wide. For example, more of an LA thing or SF thing. In NYC it's definitely more limited to the city. Texas is great in many ways, and not so great in others. As far as weather, as long as I can get at least one snow day, I'll put up with the brutal summers for a few years.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The rest of America looks at Texas the same way that Europe looks at America. Draw your own conclusion.
When we were in England, they said the same thing. England looks at America the same way America looks at Texas.

3rd Generation here. I don't want to leave but would for the sake of wife and her health. The heat and humidity are bad for her and that is why I would go to northern AZ.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And Texans don't care.

Nor should Americans, for that matter.
Here again, right on the money, Kathryn!!

Old 06-10-2015, 02:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Regional differences are diminishing among younger people but by and large the Texas culture is still prevalent. You have to understand that in texas you're kinda taught from a young age to be really independent. I would say texans are the biggest "hipsters" in regards to not giving a flying flip what the latest trend is, they're gonna do their own thing.

It's evident in all our arts; country, rap, indie rock, and movies. It's in out industries: oil, gas, energy. It's in our politics both left and right wing. Our liberals are still less left wing and way more blue collar in the sense that they will not cost jobs by stopping a company draining a marsh because there's an endangered bug that lives there. We are the home of Alex Jones and Dealy Plaza.

Many mistake our confidence for swagger and our rejection of the mainstream as stubborn. It's just a pervasive culture of "you're not better than me, so sit your pretentious butt down". Although all the "humility" does breed an arrogance of its own.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:30 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzathehut View Post
As a non-American I have always admired Texas for many different reasons. One of them being that Texas seems like the most autonomous state in the US. While most other states share commonality with the states that surround them, Texas, perhaps because it's large enough, seems like both it's own state and it's own region, and has it's own thing going on completely. It's not quite a southern state, it's not quite a western state, it's Texas. The Texas attitude, to me, also confirms this. Texans seem like a very self-sufficient people, they don't wait on others to tell them what to do. They do things their way. I admire this greatly. They also seem to have a love and passion for their state that people from other states don't have. Perhaps this was brought about by the revolution? I don't know this to be true but I would guess many Texans would define themselves as Texans first, Americans second. Would you agree?
I'd agree that you deserve to be called an honorary Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas