Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You call that a "big loop"?
It takes you from downtown to 4 miles North of where you started.
With the stoplights and now-reduced speed limit, I call it a headache. But I avoid Austin as much as possible, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Yes, compensation DOES make it just.
No, compensation makes it equitable.

Quote:
With enough compensation a land owner will WILLINGLY sign a sales document, therefore relinquishing all claims to a property so progress can happen.
In your fantasy world, government always pays what the landowner wants? Must be a nice world to live in.

Quote:
If the world worked as you fantasize it should, highways would dead end at fencelines, there would be no national power grid, nor any pipelines
No, highways, pipelines, power lines, etc. would berun on the property of those willing to allow them. No highway would end at a fenceline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I like being able to drive on a continuous, interstate highway between the major cities in Texas.

Occasionally, I drive to cities like Lubbock, that aren't accessible on a route like that. The experience of driving for hours on 2-lane roads through 1-stoplight towns makes me appreciate good highways. You can't have good highways without an active government that's acquiring right-of-way to build them.
Your convenience about the rights of others. I should've known.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Slowpoke, sorry but YOU are the crackpot living in a fantasy land, get off your holier than thou horse. Fact is, if your kind had their way we'd STILL be riding horses, only on zig-zag trails that skirted every property encountered

Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Slowpoke, sorry but YOU are the crackpot living in a fantasy land, get off your holier than thou horse. Fact is, if your kind had their way we'd STILL be riding horses, only on zig-zag trails that skirted every property encountered
Your use of an ad hominem attack against me, rather than an attempt to break my argument using logic, facts, and common sense, is noted.

And if people who think like me had their way, we'd have larger, better-maintained highways, built only on the properties of those who willfully signed, and funded solely by tolls OR taxes, but not both.

And some of us do still ride horses, BTW. You don't get out of the city much, do ya?

Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
And some of us do still ride horses, BTW. You don't get out of the city much, do ya?
You got that part right, I don't get out of the city much, left it 30 years ago.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,362 times
I read an article not too long ago that, in my opinion, made an interesting observation: 130 should have been built as a FREE road and I-35 through the middle of town converted to TOLL. This might have forced bypassing traffic to use 130 instead. Of course, to accomplish this 130 would have had to be funded by the highway department, not a private company.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:18 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
I live in the Round Rock area and have to frequently travel to San Antonio for business - I use 130 every. time.

Even if I'm in Austin proper (like on UT campus where I work), I will totally hop on MLK east to get to 130. It's SO MUCH faster than dealing with 35. Even though UT campus is bordered by 35... I still suffer through MLK for 10 minutes because I know I can FLY down 130/45 until it spits me out on 35 near Kyle.

I've also taken 130 all the way to Seguin if I'm meeting someone on the east side of San Antonio AND I've taken that way back to Round Rock after a San Antonio trip/meeting. It's WAY faster. Trust me... I've done the time trials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas