Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support House Bill 3298 "Water conveyance"
Yes I support House Bill 3298 3 21.43%
No, but i do support "water conveyance" 1 7.14%
No, I do not support "water conveyance" let each region find its own answers 9 64.29%
Undecided 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:00 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,491,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Sorry I don't. If you are for restricting our own capabilities so water stays where it naturally occurs, why would you support using agriculture to artificially supplement a person's food supply beyond what they can naturally obtain? Why would you support allowing the construction of buildings and clothing to allow people to live in places where inclement weather would otherwise kill them? Returning to water why would you allow plumbing or even buckets to enable people to obtain water without walking to a water source and drinking directly from it?
This is a strawman argument and a ridiculous one at that. Again, if you had read some previous post you would see the opposition argument is to allow each region to develop their own water resources not to only drink from natural water sources.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-12-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This is a strawman argument and a ridiculous one at that. Again, if you had read some previous post you would see the opposition argument is to allow each region to develop their own water resources not to only drink from natural water sources.
No, you're evading the question. If we should limit human settlement by refusing to use one technology, why is it okay to use other technologies to expand human settlement? If you're against using a technology on a large scale (canals, aqueducts, and other forms of mass water transportation) why are you okay with using it on a small scale (plumbing, municipal water systems)?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
No, you're evading the question. If we should limit human settlement by refusing to use one technology, why is it okay to use other technologies to expand human settlement? If you're against using a technology on a large scale (canals, aqueducts, and other forms of mass water transportation) why are you okay with using it on a small scale (plumbing, municipal water systems)?
The region I am in has plenty of water for our uses and future development. To take that away so that another region can sprawl that wouldn't otherwise is patently nonsensical and unfair ! Get it? If the water is not diverted, development will just have to happen where the supply of water is conducive for development. It is more efficient to develop where the water is than to spend billions of extra tax dollars to convey water to drier areas.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-12-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 06:04 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The region I am in has plenty of water for our uses and future development. To take that away so that another region can sprawl that wouldn't otherwise is patently nonsensical and unfair ! Get it? If the water is not diverted, development will just have to happen where the supply of water is conducive for development. It is more efficient to develop where the water is than to spend billions of extra tax dollars to convey water to drier areas.
So let me ask you again. Why is it okay for you to use indoor plumbing and a municipal water system to get your water instead of going to where the water is to get it? Why is it okay to use technology in other ways to artificially expand the amount of places people can live and the human population?

You want to complain about this use of technology expanding the areas people can live in, but you have no problem having humans living in vast stretches of the earth that would be uninhabitable without technology and having a population several orders of magnitude later tan it would be if everyone had to depend on naturally occurring food supplies.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 AM

587 posts, read 960,725 times
Basically Jack Lance is afraid that if people have a choice, many would prefer to live in arid and semi-arid environments instead of humid areas. And he is right to be afraid, history has shown that is true. People have been leaving the Rust Belt, that has plenty of water, to move the dry states of the west. So Jack's argument is like northerners arguing against air-conditioning so that people won't choose to live in the South.

I think we need water conveyance, not to steal Jack's water, but to allow water to be sold. If you have willing sellers and willing buyers that will work out the best for everyone.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I don't mind sharing a surplus of water, but I will have a big problem sharing water if it shortchanges our area.

Right now we're flooding. Come get some of this stuff. Please.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:26 AM

587 posts, read 960,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't mind sharing a surplus of water, but I will have a big problem sharing water if it shortchanges our area.

Right now we're flooding. Come get some of this stuff. Please.
With a conveyance system, flood water could be sold.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
So let me ask you again. Why is it okay for you to use indoor plumbing and a municipal water system to get your water instead of going to where the water is to get it? Why is it okay to use technology in other ways to artificially expand the amount of places people can live and the human population?

You want to complain about this use of technology expanding the areas people can live in, but you have no problem having humans living in vast stretches of the earth that would be uninhabitable without technology and having a population several orders of magnitude later tan it would be if everyone had to depend on naturally occurring food supplies.
You are going to beat this strawman argument of yours to death aren't you ? So should we pipe water from the Great lakes to Arizona to accommodate human expansion into areas that are otherwise uninhabitable ? There are practical issues that should be considered such as is there a simpler more feasible way to do things and in this case there is. Develop areas where the water is now...less expense and less environmental degradation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Basically Jack Lance is afraid that if people have a choice, many would prefer to live in arid and semi-arid environments instead of humid areas. And he is right to be afraid, history has shown that is true. People have been leaving the Rust Belt, that has plenty of water, to move the dry states of the west. So Jack's argument is like northerners arguing against air-conditioning so that people won't choose to live in the South.

I think we need water conveyance, not to steal Jack's water, but to allow water to be sold. If you have willing sellers and willing buyers that will work out the best for everyone.
Just as many if not more people have left the rust belt for humid areas like Houston and Florida. Most of the South and much of Texas as well are humid mosquito infested swamps as you put it once so this argument is a dud.

I will also ask you the same question I asked the Alabama guy, should we pipe in water from the Great Lakes or where ever to accommodate people who want to live in lifeless wastelands just so they can avoid some bad hair days ?

Quote:
If this is going to turn a profit why does the state have to study it ? Let the private sector develop a plan....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-13-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 08:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Well, the metroplex already owns 50 percent of Lake Palestine, which is five minutes from my house. All I can say is I'm glad that we didn't buy lakefront property.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:02 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Basically, there are two different approaches to water redistribution/supply control:
- The inter-regional model, which involves large-scale redistribution from areas with 'excess' water to areas with 'limited' water. The excess and limited water designation is based on current demand. For example, if the population of Nevade/Colorado were to increase by 200 or 300 percent, then a lot of that excess water would no longer be excess. Conversely, 150 years ago, CA did not need all that water and there water was not limited.
- A regional model, which essentially captures water within a basin (or several basins) and distributes it within the same region, generally via lakes, but more recently including some piping. This is currently what Texas does.

I do NOT want to end up where CA is - increasing the supply of water way, way beyond the 'normal' ability to supply water from a regional model. OTOH, I can see maintaining regional water supplies at historical 'levels' by moving water from regions with above historical levels. But there is an obvious advantage of shifting NE TX floodwaters to fill up lakes in drought areas. I would support such a system with SEVERE restrictions on when it could occur, or limited the total amount shifted. I don't want to see the desert watered or ecological systems destroyed just so Austin or SA can grow.

Re: your 'straw man' complaint, though, the water pumping in the panhandle is a good comparison - the water does not fall there, the water is not accessible without 'technology', but it is currently used for vast amounts of farming (the leading cotton producing region in the world?). That would seem to fall into your 'taboo' activity - transferring water (from underground) to support an area way beyond its own sustainable level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas