Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,677 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out what to do. I am a single mom to a one year old boy. I currently live in Miami, Fl with my family who have been a huge support system. My son is totally obsessed with his grandparents and my family adores him. I was offered an opportunity in Yorktown, Tx that pays extremely well. I will be making close to $80,000 a year. I am scared because this will be my first time moving out on my own and especially with a baby. I am also nervous because daycare is important to me as well as finding a good pediatrician. I just don't know what to do. Here in Florida the job market sucks for my field. I work per diem at a private hospital but it's not enough to pay rent daycare and all my other expenses. I went to school for so long only to come out struggling but this opportunity is wonderful. I'm also nervous about what Victoria,Tx is like. Is it safe? Boring? I have also considered San Antonio, they have great daycare there....Any suggestions, advice, whatever is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:00 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,134,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyb829 View Post
I am trying to figure out what to do. I am a single mom to a one year old boy. I currently live in Miami, Fl with my family who have been a huge support system. My son is totally obsessed with his grandparents and my family adores him. I was offered an opportunity in Yorktown, Tx that pays extremely well. I will be making close to $80,000 a year. I am scared because this will be my first time moving out on my own and especially with a baby. I am also nervous because daycare is important to me as well as finding a good pediatrician. I just don't know what to do. Here in Florida the job market sucks for my field. I work per diem at a private hospital but it's not enough to pay rent daycare and all my other expenses. I went to school for so long only to come out struggling but this opportunity is wonderful. I'm also nervous about what Victoria,Tx is like. Is it safe? Boring? I have also considered San Antonio, they have great daycare there....Any suggestions, advice, whatever is appreciated
$80,000 will go a lot farther in South Texas than it will in S. Florida. May I ask exactly what you do in the healthcare field? There will be employment opportunities for you in San Antonio and Corpus Christi; both cities have several hospitals, including childrens' hospitals.

As far as Yorktown is concerned, it's a small town (population approx. 2000 people), and housing will be tight because of the oil boom down here. There's nothing to do there at all. Your daycare options in Yorktown will be extremely limited, if there's one there at all. If you're going to work in Yorktown, I'd encourage you to look at making your home in Cuero, TX. It's a nice town (population approx 7000), likely with more housing options, and it's only 16 miles away. Cuero has a gym, churches, fast food and sit-down restaurants, and a hospital. You will also have multiple options for pediatricians and daycare facilities.

Coming from Miami, FL, you will definitely find Victoria to be boring. SA and Corpus Christi have more to do, but none of those 3 cities are within commuting distance of Yorktown. Victoria is the closest of the three, at 45 miles. I have lived in SA and Corpus, so if you have specific questions about either city, feel free to PM me.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,898,789 times
I would seriously consider staying in FL and continuing to look for a job there. The extra money might not seem all that important when you are in a strange place with a small child and absolutely no support network.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:47 PM

733 posts, read 848,220 times
San Antonio does indeed have good daycare, including care for kids who get sick and their regular daycare won't take them until they have been fever-free for 24 hours.

I liked Victoria. Do you speak Spanish, coming from Miami? It will be a help to you.

It's wonderful your son loves his grandparents already, but you must do what is best for yourself and your son. You can always move back if it does not work out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas