Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,336 times

Advertisements

westtexan87 must be a realtor. If you want to the truth, read on. Being born a few miles west of here entitles me to expert status. But after living elsewhere for a long time, coming back to west texas is completely depressing. The heat in the summer is just brutal and the cold in the winter, almost always combined with wind, can be brutal too. Dust, allergies, snakes, scorpions and spiders but most of all, snobs. If you weren't born here, don't come here. Well, unless you have lots of money, otherwise you will never be accepted or be able to get ahead. All of the good jobs stay firmly in the hands of the "elite", even if the recipients are inbred morons. And this from a town with 3 "christian" universities and a church on every corner. Just last week a homeless man was beaten to death by a couple of teenagers. Yeah, great place - can't wait to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
What AWESOME pics, WestTexan!!!!! Thanks so much for posting them! Now, when friends and family ask me what my new hometown looks like, I can send them here! The pressure is off, LOL.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Fantastic pics, WestTexan. It's always a joy to see other Texas cities on film. And those downtown and historic building shots were really nice. I'll try to get back to visit the Big Country as soon as gas prices come back down.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,256 times
I had to dig deep to find these...

The TeePee Village is held each fall in the 'front yard' of McMurry (not sure if they still do this).

any pics of abilene-tpvillage.jpg

The Indian head is from the back wall of the 'old' gym, overlooking the football field.

any pics of abilene-mcmindian.jpg

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge

Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Awesome pictures thank you for posting them.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Thanks for the pics. I have an Aunt that lives in Abiline but have not been there in forever. I really like the historic old buildings. Abilene's not that far from Fort Worth, I may have to drive out that way on a day trip.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
WestTexan, great pics! I grew up in Abilene and San Angelo areas of West Texas, and loved it. Tumbleweeds!! I did recently revisit and was sad and surprised to see some areas not well maintained, dirty. Always loved the downtown area, as we used to live near there on Orange St. (this neighborhood is now so shoddy looking). What happened? And when I was there in the 80s (for a year), lived at the Wooten (when it was NOT so upscale).

Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,220,834 times
Great photos WestTexan. I love that old theater. Beautiful inside and out.

Thx for the views.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
I am sorry that SickOfAbilene hates the town so much. I can assure you that I am not one of the elite and that I am not wealthy, but I have great friends and love this town.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Thanks for the pics. I have an Aunt that lives in Abiline but have not been there in forever. I really like the historic old buildings. Abilene's not that far from Fort Worth, I may have to drive out that way on a day trip.
It's also not a bad drive on I-20, either, Synopsis. Probably one of the most underrated drives in Texas and there are fantastic rock cuts as you go uphill near Ranger. Not quite as elaborate as I-10 near Kerrville, but just as interesting. And the small towns are quite interesting, too, like Putnam, Baird, Ranger, Cisco, and tiny Thurber. But the Abilene area is growing faster than I ever would have imagined. You should also check out the lake that's right next to U.S. 83/84 in south Abilene as you leave the city. It's across from Abilene Regional Medical Center. The lake is Kirby Lake. It's not real huge, but it is a fine city lake on the outskirts of Abilene, and I'm still amazed that it's even there. I didn't even know about it until a few short years ago.

Hey, WestTexan. If you can get a shot of Kirby Lake next chance you get, you should post that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas