Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 03:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times

Advertisements

I'm not well-versed in tenant laws. Does anyone know if Texas (or San Marcos or Hays County) has any laws regarding Ratio Utility Billing Systems?

When I moved into my apartment, I did not know their were no individual meters for the units. The lease did not explain how water bills would be calculated. I found out later that they split up the water bills and base them on the size of the unit. I'm a single person, but I live in one of the larger 2-bedroom units in the complex because I wanted a fenced patio for my dog. I pay more for my water than 2, 3, or 4 people living in a smaller 2-bedroom unit. Also, some of the 2-bedroom units have a washer and dryer, but mine does not. So, not only do I pay more for water than units that have more people, but I also pay more than the people who have washers in their units. On top of that, I have to pay even more to wash my laundry in the laundromat.

From the little research I've done, most RUBS use a combination of square footage and number of people in the unit to calculate water bills. Solely basing a water bill on square footage sounds completely stupid to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I think I found the applicable laws, but I'm not sure if they're up to date. I know water billing regulations are now handled by PUC instead of TCEQ, but the regulations remained the same.
https://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/pu...dflib/291h.pdf

Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 AM

676 posts, read 930,860 times
That is a pretty common way to bill for water in older apartments that do not have meters for every unit. I have lived in apartments that did this. I have never heard of paying more for the laundromat though because of the apartment size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: