Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
I knew about Confederate Heroes Day, but I was thinking it was in April. I know that the City of Dallas employees get this day off. Oh, I think April is maybe confederate something or other month? TexasReb?

Hey there, Blueskies! Whereya been, hon?

Anyway, you brought up another good "not widely known" fact about Texas, and which relates to my OP. Yes, April is "Confederate History Month" in the state, duly passed by the Texas Legislature. And also, April 26th is what is often recognized as "Confederate Memorial Day."

It is not an OFFICIAL holiday, as is Confederate Memorial Day, but is sort of an "observance" day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Another one I was just thinking of. The Alamo!

The "Shrine of Texas Liberty" and a place where all true Texans get silent and reverent and solemn, and even teary-eyed when visiting...

But how many know that the "Alamo" today is ONLY the chapel part of it? The whole "fort" (never intended to be, anyway) covered three acres. A lot of people seem to think the Alamo today is what it was in 1836. Just as I did first time I saw it. Thinking, "it is so SMALL"!

God Bless Texas! *smiles*

Old 01-20-2008, 01:41 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I knew it was bigger!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:43 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, y'all...

List some things about Texas that you think are not widely known so far as traditions, etc. go.

For instance. Today is Confederate Heroes Day in Texas. It is an official state holiday. But how many know it?

As to how it came about, it used to be that Robert E. Lee and CSA president Jefferson Davis' birthdays were both state holidays in Texas. But, when Lyndon Johnson died in 1973, the Texas Legislature wanted to make HIS birthday a state holiday. Problem was, state law limited the number. SO, to make room, Lee and Davis' birthday were combined into one official holiday to be called "Confederate Heroes Day".

And the rest, as they say, is history!
Well at least we got to celebrate the day by not going to work on a Saturday!!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, y'all...

List some things about Texas that you think are not widely known so far as traditions, etc. go.

For instance. Today is Confederate Heroes Day in Texas. It is an official state holiday. But how many know it?

As to how it came about, it used to be that Robert E. Lee and CSA president Jefferson Davis' birthdays were both state holidays in Texas. But, when Lyndon Johnson died in 1973, the Texas Legislature wanted to make HIS birthday a state holiday. Problem was, state law limited the number. SO, to make room, Lee and Davis' birthday were combined into one official holiday to be called "Confederate Heroes Day".

And the rest, as they say, is history!
Well at least we got to celebrate the day by not going to work on a Saturday!!!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post

I also sang Dixie! And, the Yellow Rose of Texas! LOL

Old 01-20-2008, 01:48 PM

24 posts, read 113,759 times
No. Strangely, Confederate Heroes Day is combined with MLK Day (or, at least it was when I worked for the State.) Welcome to Texas.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Girl View Post
No. Strangely, Confederate Heroes Day is combined with MLK Day (or, at least it was when I worked for the State.) Welcome to Texas.

With all due respect, not exactly, CG, although I know what you are saying in a state employee "who gets off work" sense. Confederate Heroes Day is ALWAYS on January 19th, whereas MLK Day is the first Monday following.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
So your informed..

Texas Almanac 2008-2009 | TexasAlmanac.com | Holidays

Month by month accounting of the Texas State Holiday..

State holidays - Texas State Library

Confederate Heroes Day:

19 - Confederate Heroes Day (partial staffing holiday)
House Bill 126, 42nd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 8. Approved and Effective January 30, 1931 as Robert E. Lee's Birthday.

Senate Bill 60, 63rd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 221. Approved June 1, 1973 and Effective August 27, 1973 as Confederate Heroes Day. This bill deleted June 3rd as a holiday for Jefferson Davis' birthday and combined the two into Confederate Heroes Day.

Speaking of the Alamo, its a wondrous site. Here is a sketch of what it looked like back then..

A better one: ( link instead of image as it is huge! )

http://members.cox.net/worthingtonga...alAlamoMap.jpg

If you would like to see what the Alamo looked like back in its youth, head out to Brackettville Texas and see the replica of it built for movies and TV.

Alamo Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy!

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: References to Deleted thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
So your informed..

Texas Almanac 2008-2009 | TexasAlmanac.com | Holidays

Month by month accounting of the Texas State Holiday..

State holidays - Texas State Library

Confederate Heroes Day:

19 - Confederate Heroes Day (partial staffing holiday)
House Bill 126, 42nd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 8. Approved and Effective January 30, 1931 as Robert E. Lee's Birthday.

Senate Bill 60, 63rd Legislature Regular Session. Chapter 221. Approved June 1, 1973 and Effective August 27, 1973 as Confederate Heroes Day. This bill deleted June 3rd as a holiday for Jefferson Davis' birthday and combined the two into Confederate Heroes Day.
Your position is duly noted. As is your total lack of information and knowledge about Confederate Heroes Day (if you are saying it is not an official state holiday. Geez! ) as well as of the War Between the States. Not even Americans? Oh lord....

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-09-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Orphaned from deleted section -removed personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas