U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be a "true" Texan if you were born elsewhere?
Yes! 47 53.41%
No 25 28.41%
Maybe (Explain) 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 8,291,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
This...I welcome anyone from anywhere who wants to be in Texas, to be a Texan....but I wholeheartedly agree that there are certain experiences of being born and raised in Texas that just distinguish you from transplants. There's an authenticity that's missing with transplants who often fall in love with the imagery and idea of Texas, but who don't really have the perspective that is cultivated by being born and raised in the state. To be honest, I wouldn't go to Louisiana or California or New York and consider myself a Californian, Louisianan or New Yorker either. Because those states have a very distinct identity that is ingrained in most of its natives from day 1, which I just wouldn't have, regardless of how much I may love their state.
I wholeheartedly agree with this and the post you were responding to. I never noticed just how different I was until I left the state and kept finding out just how different other people were especially along the coasts. I don't want to sound religious but it does seem as though the rest of the country is more "secularized" but that's about as close as I can get it. I am sure most of the Heartland is the same but it seems like the Texas stubbornness and very uniquely independent and even religious culture (even if just culturally Christian) has kept it from being fully sucked up into the mainstream worldly culture. You still see it in the cities but there is something that is just not quite fully engulfed. Even the most liberal of Texans is still a down to Earth less pretentious type of person. I am thinking of Willie Nelson and Molly Ivins, Kinky Friedman and even Bill Moyers (OK born).

I've always ran from it as a teen thinking the best was in places like LA or the east coast but it was home all along.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 PM

55,468 posts, read 43,845,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
This...I welcome anyone from anywhere who wants to be in Texas, to be a Texan....but I wholeheartedly agree that there are certain experiences of being born and raised in Texas that just distinguish you from transplants. There's an authenticity that's missing with transplants who often fall in love with the imagery and idea of Texas, but who don't really have the perspective that is cultivated by being born and raised in the state. To be honest, I wouldn't go to Louisiana or California or New York and consider myself a Californian, Louisianan or New Yorker either. Because those states have a very distinct identity that is ingrained in most of its natives from day 1, which I just wouldn't have, regardless of how much I may love their state.
Well, here's my perspective.

I am a former military brat and military wife. I was born in New Orleans and have family there, but I didn't live there, or anywhere else, very long when I was growing up, about three years in each town or state. Then I married a guy in the military and continued that 2-3 year thing. I've lived in about 12 states and two other countries, one in Asia and one in Europe. Most of my time in the US has been in the southern Atlantic states prior to Texas. And my relatives are nearly all from Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas so I have spent a lot of time in those states over the years.

But when I was around 32, I got a divorce and moved to Texas and I've been here ever since - nearly 25 years. I raised my kids here. I have bought about six houses here. I picked up the accent. I love the culture. I married a native Texan. (My ex husband was also a native Texan, just for the record.) I am, absolutely and with no doubt in my mind, a Texan.

Everyone I meet assumes that that's what I am, as well, since now several of my kids and grandkids live here, and my parents moved here as well, so I am surrounded by family. And my kids LOVE Texas. Two live here and one is trying to get back as fast as she can (but her husband is also in the military so that can be a challenge).

So - like I said, I consider myself a well traveled Texan. And there's no doubt in my mind that this is where I want to live. It's not like I haven't lived in other places. Nope, I've made an informed decision to be a Texan till the day I die.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:12 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,899,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What is the typical Texan? This whole cowboy/country thing is only one aspect of it. It's mostly out of tradition that we tend to look fondly at the image of it being the "true" Texan. But then I also think about Selenac
I knownoe Selena was an Hispanic icon --to say nothong of being extremely sexy,m gorgeous, and takented-- but until she was tragically killed,I dare say most Anglo and black Texans had never even heard of her.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I knownoe Selena was an Hispanic icon --to say nothong of being extremely sexy,m gorgeous, and takented-- but until she was tragically killed,I dare say most Anglo and black Texans had never even heard of her.
I can only speak for myself - I agree. But that WAS about twenty years ago - things might be different now because I see a great increase in Hispanic culture and influence now, much greater than when Selena was up and coming.

I was just watching some videos of her the other night. Wow, we really lost an amazing talent when we lost her.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
A cold Shiner or Lone Star will help you get past that.
UnlessL one Star ha greatly improved their brewing the only thing it i do is send ismake you toss your cookie sinto the toilet.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I do not like Mexican food, pecan pie, or chicken fried steak... I am not crying over Blue Bell ice cream. I do not like Texas country music. I do not embrace the Texas way of life. Heat and humidity make me want to die. I am not proud of my state or being from here. To me, it is just a place that I was forced to grow up in, the only place where I could find a job outside of school, and where I honestly do not belong. So, like I said, I am not a Texan.
Icanrekate somewhat to what the posterseems to be trying to day. For I
instance, I am a 4th generationin nativeTexan and do
not relate at all
to that Western/Southwestern/cowboy cultire if the stateat all. I even evengo so far as tosaythat westernwear often looksgaudy andsilly on bothmenand women especially the "drugstore" type cowpokes
ithwestern. I guess a lot of ot is bscause my own up bringing was Southern,not Western. The living of most of most of my peoplecame from cotton farming, not ranchg,hin, as was typical of most early Texans.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
UnlessL one Star ha greatly improved their brewing the only thing it i do is send ismake you toss your cookie sinto the toilet.
Hahahahahaha! Couldn't rep you again but that was a good one.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:40 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,110,077 times
I think you can be a true Texan if you werent born here but hey thats just me
-WT

Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 PM

124 posts, read 96,515 times
From my and my bf experience in Austin, I feel like we will ALWAYS be treated as an outsider, imo we haven't been treated all that well since we have moved here in Austin. Maybe we chose the wrong city, Idk. But that is just our opinion.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
From my and my bf experience in Austin, I feel like we will ALWAYS be treated as an outsider, imo we haven't been treated all that well since we have moved here in Austin. Maybe we chose the wrong city, Idk. But that is just our opinion.
Why do you say you've been poorly treated? Let's hear some specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas