U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Can you be a "true" Texan if you were born elsewhere?
Yes! 47 53.41%
No 25 28.41%
Maybe (Explain) 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM
 
438 posts, read 424,286 times
Reputation: 583

Advertisements

Fine. Everybody is a Texan. Change planes in Dallas, Your a Texan.

If you dont know that reference, then you might not be a Texan yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,266 posts, read 4,405,975 times
Reputation: 2273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Fine. Everybody is a Texan. Change planes in Dallas, Your a Texan.

If you dont know that reference, then you might not be a Texan yet.
Hank Hill!

From the episode "Yankee Hankie".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 PM
 
124 posts, read 96,554 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why do you say you've been poorly treated? Let's hear some specifics.

We both heard of all the jobs they would potentially have here in Austin, boy was that a lie (well not really), the jobs are highly, highly competitive here. We thought that with the low unemployment rate here that jobs would be relatively easy to come by, and we both would have higher quality jobs, boy were we completely wrong on that one. We've been here for almost 6 months and were still working crappy temp jobs, that no one wants to pay you anything, and the good jobs here are next to impossible to get an interview with. We both have been flat out lied to so many times when it comes to jobs that it isn't even funny. We both had better job opportunities in Ohio than we do here in Austin. We thought we would be a shoe in to find a better job, in a better climate here. We were completely wrong. In all honesty I feel like their hiring practices here are quite shady, I mean bad shady. My bf got a contract at Dell and he was promised so much, they promised him constant work, boy how they lied, they promised him that Dell would hire if he did a good job, well that didn't happen at all, everyone that was a contractor at Dell was let go except for the ones that were there for a really long time. Otherwise all the new hires (about 20-25 in all were all let go all at once) and that company that he worked for, threw him under the bus, there was a job that he was easily qualified for and they looked over him because they stated they were looking for more experience, which was a complete lie, because the job description said they didn't need to have experience and this was a full time job, with a very good wage for over 1 year contract and a possible hire.
Same thing happened to me, I worked a temp job for about 3 weeks and after many promises they let me go and the same thing happened, I qualified for a job that I knew I could easily do and they overlooked me stating that I needed more experience, when the job description never stated they were looking for any experience.

I feel like in both cases they already had someone else in mind for the job and decided to give the job to them. That is very shady practices if you ask me. We never had anything like that happen in Ohio, not even in the slightest.

We both feel like they were playing the hometown favorites card and thus we feel we have been jaded ever since.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Status: "Word for 2021: Accept." (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
55,525 posts, read 43,915,182 times
Reputation: 78422
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
We both heard of all the jobs they would potentially have here in Austin, boy was that a lie (well not really), the jobs are highly, highly competitive here. We thought that with the low unemployment rate here that jobs would be relatively easy to come by, and we both would have higher quality jobs, boy were we completely wrong on that one. We've been here for almost 6 months and were still working crappy temp jobs, that no one wants to pay you anything, and the good jobs here are next to impossible to get an interview with. We both have been flat out lied to so many times when it comes to jobs that it isn't even funny. We both had better job opportunities in Ohio than we do here in Austin. We thought we would be a shoe in to find a better job, in a better climate here. We were completely wrong. In all honesty I feel like their hiring practices here are quite shady, I mean bad shady. My bf got a contract at Dell and he was promised so much, they promised him constant work, boy how they lied, they promised him that Dell would hire if he did a good job, well that didn't happen at all, everyone that was a contractor at Dell was let go except for the ones that were there for a really long time. Otherwise all the new hires (about 20-25 in all were all let go all at once) and that company that he worked for, threw him under the bus, there was a job that he was easily qualified for and they looked over him because they stated they were looking for more experience, which was a complete lie, because the job description said they didn't need to have experience and this was a full time job, with a very good wage for over 1 year contract and a possible hire.
Same thing happened to me, I worked a temp job for about 3 weeks and after many promises they let me go and the same thing happened, I qualified for a job that I knew I could easily do and they overlooked me stating that I needed more experience, when the job description never stated they were looking for any experience.

I feel like in both cases they already had someone else in mind for the job and decided to give the job to them. That is very shady practices if you ask me. We never had anything like that happen in Ohio, not even in the slightest.

We both feel like they were playing the hometown favorites card and thus we feel we have been jaded ever since.
What's missing in your story is an objective perspective on you and your boyfriend's work ethics, experience, qualifications, ability to play well with others, etc.

I doubt very seriously that either of you were ever actually promised "constant work," or a permanent position anywhere. Whether or not someone gets "constant work" or the offer of a permanent position depends on many factors, from the local economy, to the stability of the company, to whether or not the person doing the job is a fit with the company's culture and work ethic.

The fact that you were let go from a temp to hire job after three weeks tells me that you weren't a fit. It is a huge hassle and set back for a company to hire and train someone, so terminations and layoffs are not something that's treated lightly.

If a company "already had someone else in mind" for a job, why on earth would they go through the interviewing, signup, new employee orientation, and initial training of other people? Given this scenario, I'd bet the farm that the issue wasn't "they already had someone else in mind" but instead was "Ooops, this person we thought would work out isn't working out."

As for thinking that Austin companies are "playing the hometown favorites card," are you kidding me? Austin is FULL of transplants from all over Texas and the US. In fact, the odds are that you and your boyfriend's supervisors aren't even from Austin.

Did either of you have regular, full time jobs lined up before you moved across the country to Austin?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2016, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,189 posts, read 1,101,930 times
Reputation: 1362
I'm wondering, how many people who consider themselves "true Texans" think there is/should be some sort of litmus test that others must pass before they can be considered to be true Texan also.

E.g., do certain views on politics, religion, or dress disqualify some? What about accent and speech in general? Or, for that matter, sexual preferences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2016, 06:51 PM
 
124 posts, read 96,554 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What's missing in your story is an objective perspective on you and your boyfriend's work ethics, experience, qualifications, ability to play well with others, etc.

I doubt very seriously that either of you were ever actually promised "constant work," or a permanent position anywhere. Whether or not someone gets "constant work" or the offer of a permanent position depends on many factors, from the local economy, to the stability of the company, to whether or not the person doing the job is a fit with the company's culture and work ethic.

The fact that you were let go from a temp to hire job after three weeks tells me that you weren't a fit. It is a huge hassle and set back for a company to hire and train someone, so terminations and layoffs are not something that's treated lightly.

If a company "already had someone else in mind" for a job, why on earth would they go through the interviewing, signup, new employee orientation, and initial training of other people? Given this scenario, I'd bet the farm that the issue wasn't "they already had someone else in mind" but instead was "Ooops, this person we thought would work out isn't working out."

As for thinking that Austin companies are "playing the hometown favorites card," are you kidding me? Austin is FULL of transplants from all over Texas and the US. In fact, the odds are that you and your boyfriend's supervisors aren't even from Austin.

Did either of you have regular, full time jobs lined up before you moved across the country to Austin?

How presumptuous of you? hmmm....... First were you there when I was interviewed? Were you there when I was hired? How do you have any right to make any judgement or presumptions based on what you think people would or would not do? Why wouldn't you ask questions first, instead of making presumptions?

Next when I was talking about jobs, this was after the company decided to let us go and looking for work again, but you didn't ask that question, you just made another assumption.

Just because a place is full of transplants doesn't mean they can't play the buddy, buddy system. I can already tell ur from Austin just by your responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Status: "Word for 2021: Accept." (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
55,525 posts, read 43,915,182 times
Reputation: 78422
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
How presumptuous of you? hmmm....... First were you there when I was interviewed? Were you there when I was hired? How do you have any right to make any judgement or presumptions based on what you think people would or would not do? Why wouldn't you ask questions first, instead of making presumptions?

Next when I was talking about jobs, this was after the company decided to let us go and looking for work again, but you didn't ask that question, you just made another assumption.

Just because a place is full of transplants doesn't mean they can't play the buddy, buddy system. I can already tell ur from Austin just by your responses.
LOL I'm not from Austin and have never lived there or anywhere close to there. I live five hours away from Austin in fact.

How presumptuous of you!

You didn't answer my question. Duly noted. I'll ask it again.

Did either of you have regular, full time jobs lined up before you moved across the country to Austin?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2016, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,877 posts, read 1,528,171 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I'm wondering, how many people who consider themselves "true Texans" think there is/should be some sort of litmus test that others must pass before they can be considered to be true Texan also.

E.g., do certain views on politics, religion, or dress disqualify some? What about accent and speech in general? Or, for that matter, sexual preferences.
In my opinion, a "true Texas" should have some form of love, pride, and/or respect for Texas. Aside from that, I don't take into account politics, religion, sexual preference, or whatever. Except place of birth/ancestry/residence/historic residence; I mean, I'm not going to consider a random person from Poland who has never been to Texas nor have any ancestors from Texas to be Texan, regardless of how much they love the place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,257 posts, read 2,360,725 times
Reputation: 1231
Default God Bless Texas

I get Texas and Texas gets me.
I pass for born and raised. Not going to lie to folks about it.
I take it as a complement if someone thinks I was born here.

Texas is a huge place, lots of diversity in people, culture and nature. If you don't like it. You wont be pleased too many other places either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 AM
 
9,732 posts, read 4,723,898 times
Reputation: 27126
I was born and raised in TX. My father and stepfather were, too. My mother, on the other hand, moved here when she was 19, immediately felt at home, never ever had any desire to move anywhere else, and considered herself a passionate Texan the rest of her life. She was never shy about telling anyone that she thought Texas was the best place in the world. I am going to grant her "Texan" status.

By the way, there are lots of real Texans who are not into country music.

Interestingly enough, I think old New England Yankees share a lot of characteristics with Texans. Especially Mainers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top