Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be a "true" Texan if you were born elsewhere?
Yes! 47 53.41%
No 25 28.41%
Maybe (Explain) 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Henry VIII?

• Proper pronunciation of "pecan" and "Brazos"
Never mind "pecan" and "Brazos". Here is the real test:

- Palestine
- Palacios
- Refugio
- Mexia
- Burnet
- Nacogdoches
(- and a bonus: Nachitoches)
(another bonus, not actually in Texas but nearby: Chickasha)

and probably some others...

One of my favorite jokes:

Mr. and Mrs. Yankee are driving through Central Texas and stop in Mexia to get lunch. They find themselves in an argument about how to pronounce "Mexia". So Mrs. Yankee asks the counter clerk: "Son, can you tell us just how you pronounce the name of this place? Say it slowly and clearly so we can really hear it." "Why, yes, ma'am: Daaaaiiirreeee Queeennnn."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 04:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
Default Things I learned in Texas

I love early ZZTop.
I think BBQ Brisket is the best part of the cow.
I buy the "real" Dr. Pepper when I can find it.
I know the difference between Y'all and all Y'all.
I don't think its weird to eat my BBQ off butcher paper.
While I do not tuck my pants into my boots, I know why people in Texas do.
Its not weird to own 3 rifles and 4 hand guns in Texas. Mood can influence weapon choice at the range and or hunting.
So yeah its hot. If it was that bad no one would live here. Don't be a weinie.

I may not be a "true" Texan but, I am trying as hard as I can.

Last edited by Squidlo; 09-29-2016 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
I can think of 3 more Texas place names that are often pronounced in unique ways:

- Bexar County ("Bear County")
- San Saba ("San Saybuh")
- Pedernales ("Perdinalus")

Old 09-30-2016, 09:03 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Let's put this thread to bed - none of these three gents were born in Texas:

Old 10-02-2016, 01:21 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Let's put this thread to bed - none of these three gents were born in Texas:

Texas hadn't existed then but I get your point. As a native, I don't care where you come from, I just do not like some of the entitled rude and anti social sell your mom for a buck kind of attitude and culture of other parts of the country. That is the generalization Texans build about people from other states, especially from the coasts. It's not true of course because the friendliest people I've ever met were in Oregon.

But what I don't get is why do people swarm a place when it's doing well and do not even bother to adapt to the culture? They just show up; wheres my job, my house, where can I set up shop to continue the same cut throat, knee jerk, elitist way of doing business that I did before I left the failed state I came from. It just makes things weird for natives and when they don't like it they're told to shut up because change is inevitable.

Do you even wonder then why Texans are a bit prideful?

Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
You are correct. Move to Texas and behave like a Texan - not like some damyankee.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 PM

101 posts, read 159,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

But what I don't get is why do people swarm a place when it's doing well and do not even bother to adapt to the culture? They just show up; wheres my job, my house, where can I set up shop to continue the same cut throat, knee jerk, elitist way of doing business that I did before I left the failed state I came from. It just makes things weird for natives and when they don't like it they're told to shut up because change is inevitable.
Great comment! Totally agree.

I've also wondered why certain demographics of people leave X state because X state is "going to hell" and then move to Y state and try to turn it into the failed state that they just left. I"ve seen it everywhere. I'm in Montana and I've seen it here.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:01 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB79 View Post
Some people say that you're not a "true" Texan if you were born outside of the state. Others (like me) believe that if you move here and you are in the Texas "state of mind" and you love the state and claim it as your home, then you are a "true" Texan. I was actually born in Georgia, but my dad was from Texas and he moved all over the state until he moved to Georgia for work. We always went to visit family during holidays and I would go spend the summer with my aunt and uncle in Texas. I can remember begging my parents to move to TX when I was younger because of how much I loved it! Now, I've graduated high school and I'm here for college and I don't plan on leaving! I am now proud to call myself a proud resident of the great state of Texas and there is nowhere else I would rather call home!!! I may have been born in GA but my heart is in TX and I consider myself a TRUE Texan!
I love Texas, but I'm from Indiana. I went on a road trip, which was interrupted by a car accident, so we had to stay til we could arrange transportation home. Everyone I met was awesome. Heading home, I had just enough for a bus ticket. During a layover in Dallas, a woman was waiting for her son, and she bought me food because she knew I was hungry. I will never forget her kindness.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Having lived 64 years in Chicago and now living in Texas I reckon I fit the old term “Texian” if not Texan.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Strictly speaking, I don't think so, though you wouldn't be a "Native Texan"

I think there are various states of familiarity that go:

Tourist
Resident
Local
Hometowner
Native

I was born in Colorado, but moved to Idaho before my first birthday and grew up there. That would make me nearly a native, tho not technically.

I've lived in Dallas my entire adult life. I was talking to a friend who went to college here and left and he said he considers me a Dallas area "Local" and himself to be a frequent guest/ previous resident.

I have a coworker who lives in Allen, born and raised, 45 years. He knows alot about his home town, but seems to be more of a guest or tourist in Dallas country or Dallas proper. No knowledge of the local neighborhoods, nightlifes or really much about restaurants. Doesn't really follow the local news.

Hes more of a "True Texan" than I am, but of his metropolitan area hes less of a "Dallasite" than I am. I Prob know more about Fort Worth than he does too, quite honestly.

I don't even know how to define "True Texan" anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas