Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be a "true" Texan if you were born elsewhere?
Yes! 47 53.41%
No 25 28.41%
Maybe (Explain) 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I posted earlier, but I so agree with this statement- I was born and raised here and definitely am not a Texan! There are TONS of people who have only been here a few years that are WAY more Texan than I ever will be.
You are a Texan. You may not fit the mold of what you think a Texan should be (I'm sure I don't either), but you can't change where you're born or where you're from.

How much of Texas are you familiar with outside of Santa Fe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 PM

371 posts, read 543,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
You are a Texan. You may not fit the mold of what you think a Texan should be (I'm sure I don't either), but you can't change where you're born or where you're from.

How much of Texas are you familiar with outside of Santa Fe?
I have been in most places of Texas, and I travel all over the US as well- road trips by myself and flying. I have lived in central Texas, outside of Ft Worth, outside of Dallas, and also on the Gulf Coast. I drive over 30K miles a year. I think I venture outside of "Santa Fe" quite a bit......... Just because I live in a Podunk POS town does not mean I stay in it.

I do not like Mexican food, pecan pie, or chicken fried steak... I am not crying over Blue Bell ice cream. I do not like Texas country music. I do not embrace the Texas way of life. Heat and humidity make me want to die. I am not proud of my state or being from here. To me, it is just a place that I was forced to grow up in, the only place where I could find a job outside of school, and where I honestly do not belong. So, like I said, I am not a Texan.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I have been in most places of Texas, and I travel all over the US as well- road trips by myself and flying. I have lived in central Texas, outside of Ft Worth, outside of Dallas, and also on the Gulf Coast. I drive over 30K miles a year. I think I venture outside of "Santa Fe" quite a bit......... Just because I live in a Podunk POS town does not mean I stay in it.
I wasn't assuming anything.

I do not like Mexican food, pecan pie, or chicken fried steak... I am not crying over Blue Bell ice cream. I do not like Texas country music. I do not embrace the Texas way of life. Heat and humidity make me want to die. I am not proud of my state or being from here. To me, it is just a place that I was forced to grow up in, the only place where I could find a job outside of school, and where I honestly do not belong. So, like I said, I am not a Texan.[/quote]

A lot of people feel the way you do. If you aren't a Texan then what else could you possibly be?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 PM

371 posts, read 543,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I wasn't assuming anything.
A lot of people feel the way you do. If you aren't a Texan then what else could you possibly be?
Just a person, I guess. Maybe just call me an American? ... I do not have to be any sort of label to be me. I think people think way too much into this Texas thing.... It is a place, just like everywhere else. Where you are born, and how you were raised does not necessarily mean that you have to be that. Being yourself and what you feel you are as a person is good enough to me.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Just a person, I guess. Maybe just call me an American? ... I do not have to be any sort of label to be me. I think people think way too much into this Texas thing.... It is a place, just like everywhere else. Where you are born, and how you were raised does not necessarily mean that you have to be that. Being yourself and what you feel you are as a person is good enough to me.
I agree. But I also think that one can be a true individual and still be a Texan. Instead of being ashamed of where you're from, why not simply be proud of the fact that you're a unique Texan? I know I am.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:56 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
Screwed and chopped music and sippin syrup, and riding cadillac slabs is Texan culture in the AA community. That culture originated in Houston hip hop scene in the early 90s.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Exactly, what defines a Texan above all others is a very strong sense of individualism that I have yet to see other states have as an ethos. It's very iconoclastic. People hate it cus they see it as stubborn. It's a rejection of the main stream.

Whether its the attitude of right wingers in the country who reject the liberal mainstream to Austin progressive hipsters who still retain the cowboy rebel spirit, to the inner city independent hip hop artists who refuse to give up the typical "Houston" sound in their rap.

I'm glad I grew up in Texas because everywhere I've gone there's been heavy heavy groupthink in a way. Not there's not that in Texas but other places just follow trends. It just seems generically American.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:52 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Guess who wasn't born in Texas:

Sam Houston (first president of the Republic of Texas and US senator)
Stephen F. Austin ("Father of Texas" and namesake of the capital)
David Crockett (hero of the Alamo and US representative)
Roger Staubach (Super Bowl-winning Dallas Cowboy quarterback)
Randy White (Super Bowl-winning Cowboy linebacker, late '70s)
Troy Aikman (Super-Bowl-winning Cowboy QB, early-mid '90s)
Jerry Jeff Walker (country singer heavily associated with Texas but really from NY state)
Mike Judge (creator of the greatest and most accurate Texas-based TV show of all time, King of the Hill. And Office Space.)
I'd also add the Bush political family. They're a bunch of Connecticut yankees, but the media loves to use them, and the concept of guilt by association, to bash Texas.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I identify myself as a Texan even though not native born (Fort Benning, Georgia), but since my family moved to Austin when Dad retired from the Army in 1959, I'm ahead of a lot the recent immigrants. Never identified with any particular locale before that. Even lived at Fort Sam Houston & Camp Hood in the 1940s. But at least all my kids & grandkids are native born Texans.

However, once in a while I might feel a twinge of carpetbaggin' guilt.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-16-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 12:00 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
However, once in a while I might feel a twinge of carpetbaggin' guilt.
A cold Shiner or Lone Star will help you get past that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas