Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

554 posts, read 745,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What surprises me is that I was born and raised in Katy, before it became a hit too, and when growing up we just followed the latest trends in fashion and music. But now whenever I visit houston the more I see how big the "country" look has gotten. It always used to be a thing that so called "kickers" would wear and differentiated from the "gangsters", "preps" and "bangers". But I go back each time and more young, middle and old people are sporting the hunter or blue collar look in some way. Especially out in the newly developed burbs right outside of town; Richmond, Fulshear, Ft Bend, Katy, etc.

Did I miss a big trend? What happened? I saw an Asian couple last Xmas wearing the cammo hat and getting into a big white truck.
... Naw ... You didn't miss anything ... it's the local culture - and folks who live there, and come from somewhere-else (for the most part) want to assimilate into that culture.
when I lived just-south of Waco in a small town, the local culture there was strictly "FOF" - "Fresh-off-the-Farm" - Young men (and some ladies) wore cut-off-sleeveless work shirts, jeans, boots, and (some with) hats. That was their "local culture"; I didn't (couldn't) dress that way because of my day-job.

It's probably just like that, back where you're from ... some group sort-of "dictates" the style, and "followers gonna follow" ... right? I'd bet the newer settlers are tryin' to fit-in. Hence, the cammo hat(s) and pickups, unless they're "trend-setters" themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
11. Knows where the 5 closest Whataburgers are to your home or office.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Naw ... You didn't miss anything ... it's the local culture - and folks who live there, and come from somewhere-else (for the most part) want to assimilate into that culture.
when I lived just-south of Waco in a small town, the local culture there was strictly "FOF" - "Fresh-off-the-Farm" - Young men (and some ladies) wore cut-off-sleeveless work shirts, jeans, boots, and (some with) hats. That was their "local culture"; I didn't (couldn't) dress that way because of my day-job.

It's probably just like that, back where you're from ... some group sort-of "dictates" the style, and "followers gonna follow" ... right? I'd bet the newer settlers are tryin' to fit-in. Hence, the cammo hat(s) and pickups, unless they're "trend-setters" themselves.
Yes you're right I bet it has to do with the influx of new people just assimilating into the culture. I've met several Aussie and UK ex pats that wear the gear in the city of Houston. So yeah I guess you're right.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Seems like so far most of us agree on this ones

1 - Eats breakfast tacos
2 - Hates I-35
3 - Doesn't say "You guys" says "Y'all"
4 - Knows a mexican lady that makes amazing tamales
5 - Knows where to go to see longhorns (I just made that one up)

Rakin, I'm gonna change yours
- Knows exactly where's the 2 closest what-a-burger from his house (Gotta have a spare one, in case you drove the other direction)

TheOverdog, I'm gonna change yours
- Knows that Tex-Mex and mexican food are different styles of food

I disagree with this 2:
- Everybody owns a pair of boots (I live in Houston)
- Doesn't whine when it gets hot - Just do a search in this forum for "Texas Summer" and you'll get 1000s of posts whining about heat.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
I'll play.

1 - Eats breakfast tacos
2 - Hates I-35
3 - Doesn't say "You guys" says "Y'all"
4 - Knows a mexican lady that makes amazing tamales.
5 - Knows where the two closest Whataburgers are located.

(I'll agree with all of these) and add these:

6 - Loves beans (but not in chili).
7 - Had a Luann Platter as a child (or yesterday).
8 - Has climbed "the Rock" (north of Fburg) or has wanted to.
9 - owns a pair of boots (even if he doesn't wear them much) or has immediate family members who do.
10 - Tosses a wave to the driver, when someone lets him in. (or will toss a wave to the driver of ANY oncoming vehicle on a small country road.)

Not as obvious:

- Liked Selena & liked the idea of Selena.
- Knows that Waylon was just as much of a rebel as Johnny Cash (& a better performer).
- Mourns Stevie Ray Vaughn.
- Knows that BBQ is a noun (meat that has smoked for 8+ hours).....not an event in the backyard.
- When the only soft drink he has in the fridge is DP (of course)....he'll ask a visitor if they want a coke?

Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Okay, here ya go...

What 10 things make a person "A Texan"?

Only one real qualification is needed... Does the person support the secession of Texas from the union, to form the Republic of Texas?

If so, yes. A true Texan.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 PM

379 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
- Eats BBQ with tortillas
Bless your heart...

Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
Okay, here ya go...

What 10 things make a person "A Texan"?

Only one real qualification is needed... Does the person support the secession of Texas from the union, to form the Republic of Texas?

If so, yes. A true Texan.
Response
Spoiler
You do realize that seceding would involve kicking out and possibly going to war against all the US soldiers based in Texas?

Old 06-11-2015, 01:07 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
Texas is the best country in the United States but I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Mexican food. I love Whataburger, though, and have worked for HEB.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'll play.
6 - Loves beans (but not in chili).

10 - Tosses a wave to the driver, when someone lets him in. (or will toss a wave to the driver of ANY oncoming vehicle on a small country road.)

Not as obvious:

- Mourns Stevie Ray Vaughn.
- Knows that BBQ is a noun (meat that has smoked for 8+ hours).....not an event in the backyard.

I esp'ly related to these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas