Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:35 PM

554 posts, read 745,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I thought Willie was the King and George was the second in line to the throne. Lyle Lovett is closing in from the rear! I swear, nobody nails that Texas vibe quite like Lyle Lovett - at least that's my personal opinion.
... Here's the "Rank":

1 "King" George Strait

2 "Senior Ambassador" Willie Nelson

3 All those Country Music Groups who play in all those Dance-halls, clubs, bars, and honky-tonks all over Texas

"Honorable Mention" goes to Lyle Lovett as the "Bandmaster" for the whole dang State - either him or Ray Benson from Asleep At The Wheel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:49 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
- Hates I-35
I have no real beef with 35. Just saying.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I have no real beef with 35. Just saying.
You must live in a small town off of I-45.

Quote:
Truth be told, there's only one Texas artist that you can be fairly certain every Texan has atleast heard of, and that's Beyonce. Perhaps that would make her the king.
Selena Quintanilla was also very popular and her memory is still beloved today.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:22 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Here's the "Rank":

1 "King" George Strait

3 All those Country Music Groups who play in all those Dance-halls, clubs, bars, and honky-tonks all over Texas

"Honorable Mention" goes to Lyle Lovett as the "Bandmaster" for the whole dang State - either him or Ray Benson from Asleep At The Wheel
That bus isn't going anywhere without Bob Wills

Old 06-12-2015, 05:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
You must live in a small town off of I-45.
Not quite. I should say there are parts of 35 that are quite terrible, but other parts that I actually tend to enjoy, like approaching the core of Austin or the stretch between Belton and Waco.

Quote:
Selena Quintanilla was also very popular and her memory is still beloved today.
True but then I recalled some younger Texans that I know had never heard of her. Anyone under the age of 20 wasn't even alive when she recorded her last song.

The only way you haven't ever heard of Beyonce is if you don't have cable or internet connection.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Here's the "Rank":

1 "King" George Strait

Switch those first two around and we've got a deal! LOL

And throw Beyonce in as third in line to the throne, with Selena singing backup and we've got a royal flush.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
I never eat tortillas with barbecue unless I'm eating brisket tacos, and I'm from San Antonio. I did, however, come across a couple of barbecues where they served barbecued sausages in tortillas. What Texan doesn't like Selena?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,394 times
Quote:
Not quite. I should say there are parts of 35 that are quite terrible, but other parts that I actually tend to enjoy, like approaching the core of Austin or the stretch between Belton and Waco.

True but then I recalled some younger Texans that I know had never heard of her. Anyone under the age of 20 wasn't even alive when she recorded her last song.

The only way you haven't ever heard of Beyonce is if you don't have cable or internet connection.
What about I-35 in Fort Worth? The potholes and narrow lanes make for a great driving experience! And the way the road is lit up with orange cones! Beautiful!

I'm 19, born one year after Selena was killed and we know about Selena. Like you said, I don't know if a collective group of the younger generation know about Selena. I just know me and my high school friends do because we watched the movie two or three times in Spanish class. And I'm definitely not disagreeing with you about Beyonce, I love her, too.

But I prefer Selena.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I disagree with people that say that Texans love country music
That's like me saying that Texans love Beyoncé

Old 06-13-2015, 07:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
George Strait
Willie Nelson
Beyoncé
and Selena

LOL. That perfectly describes the melting pot of Texas; conservative, Texas liberal (I differentiate), African American and Mexican American.

Some of us might have been too young to remember the impact Selena had but she was a big deal to the Mexican Americans in Texas, heck the Mexican Americabs over here in Cali talk about her. So yeah she's a Texas legend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas