Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:22 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Agreed, I think 80% of music-knowledgeable Texans like George Strait.
That is quite unlikely. Country music just isn't that popular, guys, sorry. The only reason I'm familiar with that Carrie Underwood song is because it was played every other day at my job in college. I still am not very fond of that genre as a whole.

Remember that most Texans live in an urban or suburban environment within the metros of our largest cities, and their exposure to country music might be limited to those Ford or DQ commercials.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 06-14-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 03:57 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Updated list

1 - Eats breakfast tacos
2 - Hates I-35
3 - Doesn't say "You guys" says "Y'all"
4 - Knows a mexican lady that makes amazing tamales
5 - Knows where to go to see longhorns
6 - Knows exactly where's the 2 closest what-a-burger from his house

Doesn't look to me like there's an agreement on music

Old 06-14-2015, 08:24 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
1. Pride
2. You eat Chicken Fried Steak/Chicken once (or twice) a week..
3. Whataburger
4. BBQ is VERY serious..
5. You drink and eat Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell "faithfully"
6. You own at least 2 pairs of boots (not a cowboy, but I have owed a pair of boots since 2)
7. Of course "Y'all" but I find that we say "Hey Y'all" often...
8. Most folks (male & female) have this ruggedness to them...
9. You marry your high-school sweet heart or someone who went to your high school (though this can be found everywhere, its very common in Texas)
10. Can be very nice folks, but when you cross us/disrespect us/grind our gears, your in for a BIG surprise..LOL
11. Football Fridays!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
That is quite unlikely. Country music just isn't that popular, guys, sorry. The only reason I'm familiar with that Carrie Underwood song is because it was played every other day at my job in college. I still am not very fond of that genre as a whole.

Remember that most Texans live in an urban or suburban environment within the metros of our largest cities, and their exposure to country music might be limited to those Ford or DQ commercials.
I don't like country music, but I like George Strait and acknowledge he's loved by many Texans.

Would you propose Texas has a pop/rock star that is loved more than George Strait? Do you think Beyonce is more loved than George Strait?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I don't like country music, but I like George Strait and acknowledge he's loved by many Texans.

Would you propose Texas has a pop/rock star that is loved more than George Strait? Do you think Beyonce is more loved than George Strait?
Well, she is one of the highest selling and most awarded recording artists in history, so I think it's a safe assumption that she has the largest fan base in Texas itself. The only real issue is that she's young and sings music that isn't stereotypically "Texan", so I guess some folks feel she doesn't really count.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
Country music just isn't that popular, guys, sorry.
Country music is actually the most popular radio genre across the entire US by far, and has been for a long time.

It's somewhat tough finding public measurements to show this (radio across the US is a very competitive business so they keep measurements close to the vest), but here are a few:
Country Music Gains Top Position as Most Popular Music Genre!
http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...4BD02P20081214

Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM

554 posts, read 745,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
That bus isn't going anywhere without Bob Wills
... "Bob Wills Is Still The King" --- except that he's passed from the scene, now.
Were it not for Bob Wills, all the current Country Music artists from Texas (including George Strait, Lyle Lovett, and myriad others) wouldn't even be heard-of ...

There're bunches of musical "heroes" who trace their influences back to Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys ... All credit where credit's due.
But, I think the 'focus' was more on artists who are still breathing.

Anyway - I said all that to say that [basically] I agree with you, metroxian! Kinda ...

Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Country music is actually the most popular radio genre across the entire US by far, and has been for a long time.

It's somewhat tough finding public measurements to show this (radio across the US is a very competitive business so they keep measurements close to the vest), but here are a few:
Country Music Gains Top Position as Most Popular Music Genre!
Country leads radio music genres, but talk is tops | Reuters
I can back that up. I learned that in my broadcast media class this past semester.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
No disputing country music is number one. I even hear it a lot here in LA. It's America's favorite along with hip hop.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 PM

379 posts, read 366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
2. You eat Chicken Fried Steak/Chicken once (or twice) a week..
3. Whataburger
4. BBQ is VERY serious..
5. You drink and eat Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell "faithfully"
I love all those things (well, I've lost my taste for any sweet drinks so no DP anymore) but I've had to cut all that down to a once or twice a year kind of thing. Texan born and raised, currently live in Dallas, but my 31 inch waist is more important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas