Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you prefer to live in?
Houston 11 23.40%
San Antonio 7 14.89%
Dallas 11 23.40%
McAllen 1 2.13%
Corpus Christy 1 2.13%
Austin 6 12.77%
Fort Worth 5 10.64%
El Paso 1 2.13%
Brownsville 1 2.13%
Amarillo 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:52 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,222,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
San Antonio gets 33 inches of rain a year....I would not say its arid but thats just me.
Not even a little bit. It's pretty humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Most places are compared to East TX
Well, actually four of the ten most humid cities in the US aren't even in the southern states - unless you count California as a southern state. Only one city in Texas is in the top ten.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...mid-cities.php

About half the US experiences high (on average) humidity.
https://eldoradoweather.com/climate/...-humidity.html

I prefer higher rather than lower humidity. My skin loves it.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,945,271 times
San Antonio is humid

Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
San Antonio is humid
It's all relative.

Anyway, it doesn't matter that much one way or the other. I like San Antonio fine, but I wouldn't want to live there. It's congested and has more of a southwestern vibe than I prefer for daily living. It does feel very "Texan" to me though, and that's a plus!

Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,222,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, actually four of the ten most humid cities in the US aren't even in the southern states - unless you count California as a southern state. Only one city in Texas is in the top ten.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...mid-cities.php

About half the US experiences high (on average) humidity.
https://eldoradoweather.com/climate/...-humidity.html

I prefer higher rather than lower humidity. My skin loves it.
Yes, but it is basically in the middle of the pack humidity wise. West is less, East is more. But for how warm it gets, it is incredibly humid, other cities outside Texas that regularly top 100 degrees are much dryer.

Liking or not liking humidity is a personal preference, but for the US, San Antonio isn't dry by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:41 PM

1,168 posts, read 764,293 times
I think I'm just getting that "southwestern" is actually referring to the predominantly Hispanic demographics. San Antonio is surprisingly diverse, however, and even has several historic areas which are overwhelmingly white by far: Olmos Park, Terrell Hills, etc.

Not surprised, though. Ever since I could remember SA has had this "Little Mexico" reputation that is really very inaccurate.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 PM

San Antonio's little mexico reputation is not really inaccurate, still not a bad place to live (other than the size!). The fact you had to point out there are areas that are overwhelmingly white (although they really aren't by other cities standards) says it all. It is known as a mexican place by and far. There are a higher percentage of white people in parts of Mexico than in San Antonio.
San Antonio could be a part of the southwest culture, I guess. I don't find the southwest has much of a unified culture, personally. Arizona and New Mexico seem a lot more different than Alabama and the Carolinas, just my opinion.
Alamo Heights and surrounding areas actually remind me a lot of "the south" with a sort of Spanish/Mexican flair.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:44 PM

1,168 posts, read 764,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
San Antonio's little mexico reputation is not really inaccurate, still not a bad place to live (other than the size!). The fact you had to point out there are areas that are overwhelmingly white (although they really aren't by other cities standards) says it all. It is known as a mexican place by and far. There are a higher percentage of white people in parts of Mexico than in San Antonio.
San Antonio could be a part of the southwest culture, I guess. I don't find the southwest has much of a unified culture, personally. Arizona and New Mexico seem a lot more different than Alabama and the Carolinas, just my opinion.
Alamo Heights and surrounding areas actually remind me a lot of "the south" with a sort of Spanish/Mexican flair.
Nah, I'm not seeing it. Obviously Mexican culture influences the city, but the same is true of all the major cities in the state. In fact, DFW and Houston have a greater percentage of Mexican nationals.

The only thing setting SA apart from the rest of the triangle is that most people just so happen to be of Spanish descent, and since many of those people are from families that have always been in Texas, it wouldn't be accurate to call them Mexican.

And Terrell Hills specifically is 81% white alone. That's a larger percentage than Texas and the U.S. as a whole. Pretty darn white.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:00 PM

>but the same is true of all the major cities in the state.
I don't see it. I don't see much Mexican culture at all. A bit of Spanish culture, really just the ranching stuff.
>DFW and Houston have a greater percentage of Mexican nationals.
And? You can be born in Mexico and a lot more Americanized than somebody who wasn't. We are discussing culture yes?
>just so happen to be of Spanish descent
Spanish people are white. They are not of mixed descent. My own ancestors (a few of them) came here from Mexico, why do people have to be so ashamed of this? The vast majority of "Hispanic" people are not pure Spanish. That is quite obvious. Go to Spain some time. You might be amazed at what you see.
>since many of those people are from families that have always been in Texas, it wouldn't be accurate to call them Mexican.
Do you have any proof of this? It is not the case for anybody in my family.
>And Terrell Hills specifically is 81% white alone. That's a larger percentage than Texas and the U.S. as a whole. Pretty darn white.
And compared to the whitest areas in other cities of Texas it is not that white.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Nah, I'm not seeing it. Obviously Mexican culture influences the city, but the same is true of all the major cities in the state. In fact, DFW and Houston have a greater percentage of Mexican nationals.

The only thing setting SA apart from the rest of the triangle is that most people just so happen to be of Spanish descent, and since many of those people are from families that have always been in Texas, it wouldn't be accurate to call them Mexican.

And Terrell Hills specifically is 81% white alone. That's a larger percentage than Texas and the U.S. as a whole. Pretty darn white.
Do you also have a hard time accepting that Miami is known for its Cuban culture? They might not have a huge population of people born in Cuba (or maybe they do?) but it should be quite obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas