Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:29 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times

Advertisements

I also agree with what, I believe, mega man said before about a major city in east texas looking very much like Memphis. As I drove around the rural areas surrounding Memphis, I felt that this region most closely resembled Northeast Texas, in particular.

This is just west of Tyler and if someone were to tell ne to distinguish between this and Western Tennessee, the differences would be negligible at best.

13925 TX-110

http://goo.gl/maps/Smn0K

11316 County Rd 420

http://goo.gl/maps/xunlW

Last edited by soletaire; 06-27-2015 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:41 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
But I wish those were Spring or Summer photos, no greenery, I know that wasn't your point of the photos.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
You're still talking about Louisiana Creole which is one specific application of that term. There are different types of creole, as I've tried to explain earlier.

You yourself pointed out the presence of Mexican culture in East Texas. Well are you not aware that Mexican culture itself is the product of varied mixtures of African, Indigenous American,, and European heritage? That's creolization right there.

The "Piney Woods" is an actual ecologic term which refers to an area that covers most all of East Texas and also includes parts of Louisiana and Arkansas. People in your neck of the woods may use the term colloquially, but that doesn't change its true meaning. Jasper is an East Texas town that is located in the Piney Woods. That is a fact. I don't care what Bubba an'em think.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods
I'm well aware of the mixed culture in Latin America. I'm always well aware that they went by a caste system diving groups of ppl based upon race and class under Spanish rule. So terms like Mestizo, Zambo, Indio, Mulato,etc. I'm referring to Louisiana creole because we were talking about Louisiana Creole and Cajun from the jump.

And I know what the Piney Woods is, i'm speaking from a culturally perspective solely. And I'll stick with Bubba and dem!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I also agree with what, I believe, mega man said before about a major city in east texas looking very much like Memphis. As I drove around the rural areas surrounding Memphis, I felt that this region most closely resembled Northeast Texas, in particular.

This is just west of Tyler and if someone were to tell ne to distinguish between this and Western Tennessee, the differences would be negligible at best.

13925 TX-110

http://goo.gl/maps/Smn0K

11316 County Rd 420

http://goo.gl/maps/xunlW
I've only been to Memphis once and I agree some of Memphis you can mistake for East Texas. I felt like that with alot of other southern cities as well. They all had similar traits that reminded me of home. More so in look then Dallas,Austin, or Houston. I think if East Texas had a city the size of one of those it would look completely different.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:54 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm well aware of the mixed culture in Latin America. I'm always well aware that they went by a caste system diving groups of ppl based upon race and class under Spanish rule. So terms like Mestizo, Zambo, Indio, Mulato,etc. I'm referring to Louisiana creole because we were talking about Louisiana Creole and Cajun from the jump.
I'm the one who brought up creole culture, and I never said I was speaking about Louisiana Creole specifically. I can see why you made that assumption, though.

Quote:
And I know what the Piney Woods is, i'm speaking from a culturally perspective solely. And I'll stick with Bubba and dem!
That's your right. I'm just pointing out that it makes no sense.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'm the one who brought up creole culture, and I never said I was speaking about Louisiana Creole specifically. I can see why you made that assumption, though.

That's your right. I'm just pointing out that it makes no sense.
Yeah I looked back on the first post and it was you that brought it up first. I saw you mentioned Cajun too so you can clearly see why I assumed you were speaking Creole and Cajun culture from Louisiana. And the fact Louisiana borders Texas.

And you say it doesn't make sense i'm curious as to where you're from? It might not make sense to you because you're not from the region i'm from. But those who are from this region see it this way for the most part. Jasper has no everyday interaction with the rest of these East Texas cities and towns. I just don't see how somebody who is not from here who didn't spend everyday growing up here from a child to an adult is going to speak on something from the outside looking in. Bastrop has Pine Trees and is located in the Lost Pines Forest so because Bastrop has alot of Pine Tree's would that make them apart of the Piney Woods area even though it's considered to be apart of the Greater Austin metro?

Like you said you don't see a such thing as East Texas proper or the Real East Texas. From your perspective East Texas stretches from Texarkana all the way to Port Arthur. Me I'm speaking from my experiences as an East Texan. If I go to Port Arthur I won't see billboards with East Texas in them, I want see newspapers with East Texas in them. The times I been to Jasper I didn't see an emphasis on East Texas in places I went not on the level of cities in the Northeast. When you go to Northeast Texas which is where most East Texas cities are located and are in close proximity to each other you see the emphasis of the region everywhere. You see it on local commercials, you see it on billboards,in the newspaper. You express and embrace the region in everyday life. I've never seen that in these towns that I consider are extensions of East Texas. I understand it get's tricky because it's no official "East Texas state line" but I promise you most East Texans will agree with me on that and that's really all that matters to me on this subject.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:07 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
What about east central Texas? That area shares some culture with east Texas.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah I looked back on the first post and it was you that brought it up first. I saw you mentioned Cajun too so you can clearly see why I assumed you were speaking Creole and Cajun culture from Louisiana. And the fact Louisiana borders Texas.

And you say it doesn't make sense i'm curious as to where you're from? It might not make sense to you because you're not from the region i'm from. But those who are from this region see it this way for the most part. Jasper has no everyday interaction with the rest of these East Texas cities and towns. I just don't see how somebody who is not from here who didn't spend everyday growing up here from a child to an adult is going to speak on something from the outside looking in. Bastrop has Pine Trees and is located in the Lost Pines Forest so because Bastrop has alot of Pine Tree's would that make them apart of the Piney Woods area even though it's considered to be apart of the Greater Austin metro?

Like you said you don't see a such thing as East Texas proper or the Real East Texas. From your perspective East Texas stretches from Texarkana all the way to Port Arthur. Me I'm speaking from my experiences as an East Texan. If I go to Port Arthur I won't see billboards with East Texas in them, I want see newspapers with East Texas in them. The times I been to Jasper I didn't see an emphasis on East Texas in places I went not on the level of cities in the Northeast. When you go to Northeast Texas which is where most East Texas cities are located and are in close proximity to each other you see the emphasis of the region everywhere. You see it on local commercials, you see it on billboards,in the newspaper. You express and embrace the region in everyday life. I've never seen that in these towns that I consider are extensions of East Texas. I understand it get's tricky because it's no official "East Texas state line" but I promise you most East Texans will agree with me on that and that's really all that matters to me on this subject.
Most East Texans don't know what they're talking about (most Texans don't either). The perspective you're speaking from is that of someone who was raised within the "urban" concentration of East Texas. Being that your region is the business and cultural center, they have assumed authority on East Texas itself. So it goes without saying that people in the Tyler-Longview-Marshall chain of towns don't think much of East Texas outside of their corner of it.

Still, not having any real interaction with another town or subregion doesn't mean it isn't part of the greater region. Lafayette has little interaction with New Orleans. That doesn't mean that one is more "the real Louisiana" than the other.

The Lost Pines is its own ecoregion, so no it wouldn't be part of the Piney Woods. And I already gave you a link detailing the approximate boundaries of the Piney Woods, so I'm not sure why you're still debating that point. Jasper is in the PW whether you and your neighbors think it is or not.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
What about east central Texas? That area shares some culture with east Texas.

I agree with this...East Central Texas, and parts of small town Central Texas in general outside the Hill Country, do share several similarities with East Texas...

Old 06-29-2015, 04:45 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I agree with this...East Central Texas, and parts of small town Central Texas in general outside the Hill Country, do share several similarities with East Texas...
Yes. My mother is from Georgia and she feels right at home in east Texas and parts of central Texas. If not for the pine trees and swamps etc some parts of central Texas feels no different than the areas east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas