Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 32,458 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I live in Red Deer Alberta Canada, he is being transferred to Texas to the Conroe office of the Company he works for. We are trying to find homes, in or around the area, but would really love some advice on what towns/counties etc that come recommended and why. Are some towns nicer than others? Are some more expensive to live in? Any advice or personal opinion someone could offer us on what areas, we should either be looking IN or looking to avoid would be greatly appreciated. Neither one of us has a clue about Texas living.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM

506 posts, read 2,148,653 times
I know where Conroe is but don't know enough about it to comment. If you haven't done so already, you ought to post your question on the Houston forum. You'll get a lot of responses there since Conroe is part of the Houston metro area. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Well, the Woodlands is probably your best off the cuff choice but it depends on what you like. What ammenities are you looking for? Schools important? Do you prefer a rural setting or more urban setting?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
The Woodlands is definitely the 'upscale' city (town) in that part of the world......great schools, safe commnity, nice trees, landscaping, etc. If you prefer a more rural setting, there are some very nice home around Lake Conroe.....beautiful setting.

You are in for a major climate change! Hot, hot, hot and very humid in that area!! But you play outdoors year round!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,457 times
Conroe is sooooo crowded! The traffic through Conroe and the Woodlands is so bad! There are little country towns around Conroe, like Willis, Cleveland (not great for schools, though), New Caney (good schools and affordable housing), Splendora, etc.
The Woodlands is very nice, but it's getting pricey out there. There's lots of shopping and conveniences, but the getting around is a pain!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 31,282 times
Montgomery would be my first choice. Great schools, close to Lake Conroe and a short drive to Conroe. There are several great subdivisions located in the Montgomery area.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM

61 posts, read 401,821 times
Depends on what kind of drive time you are willing to take. I work in Conroe, live in a area called Tarkington Prairie. 45 minute drive to Conroe. Same to Humble area and about an hour to Downtown Houston. Great school district. Cleveland is 10 minutes away for me personally. I was raised here and love it. I don't intend on moving closer to Conroe for a shorter drive.
Its a rural area, so if you want a more urban area I suggest Montgomery, West side of Conroe near the lake, Shenandoah/Woodlands, Oak Ridge. New Caney area also has some new developments, the only downside is US 59 is under construction in the area and traffic is a bit of a mess. In a couple years the drive will be nice, when it is complete. Willis area out near the lake is nice too.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:12 PM

12 posts, read 59,574 times
I work in Conroe and live in Shepherd, Tx. (San Jacinto county) It is about 45 minutes to work for me but really an easy drive as I am only on Highway 59 about 15 miles then take the highway 105 on into Conroe then the North Loop. It is 40 miles from my house to my job in Conroe. San Jacinto county has the least expensive property taxes of any of the surrounding counties. That is a major factor around here. As far as lakes go, you can find lakes of all sizes all over Texas! Welcome!! JJ

Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 AM

86 posts, read 255,162 times
We moved to Willis in the early 90's. If I could do it over again I would definitely go to Montgomery as well.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Funny- when I first read the thread I thought of Montgomery. Seems a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas