Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 PM

21 posts, read 81,620 times

Advertisements

texasdreamin,

Thanks for the great Post.

The wife and I were in the hill country last august, We hope to relocate to texas in about 4 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,555 times
Default Welcome to the Texas Hill Country

Glad you found your spot.

The reason you saw so many deer is because it's their mating season, so they are already active; and they are probably glad we're finally getting some cool weather.

Mystic Shores is only about 20 minutes from Blanco. It's north on 281, whereas Bulverde is south. Check us out sometime.

Your builder sounds great; hope you're able to share his name with me. Our area is growing so much faster than we're accustomed, and people often ask me to recommend contractors.

The Hill Country is remote by city standards, but we enjoy being able to hear the birds.

I believe the title searches go back to Spanish Land Grants, if that's what you mean by property reports. They also have to tell you about any deed restrictions.

And yes, we do have mosquitos, but nothing like at the coast.

Did I understand you to say you saw a BEAR by the side of the road?

Anyway, welcome.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
Texasdreamin, thanks for taking the time to post your travels. It was interesting reading. I think I will document our next trip, just for memories
It twas my pleasure. Documenting would be great for your memories. I have VERY fond memories of my journey. Fright and all. Think about it everyday. Wishin I was still there. I hope you share your documentation with us.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoilman View Post
texasdreamin,

Thanks for the great Post.

The wife and I were in the hill country last august, We hope to relocate to texas in about 4 years

You're certainly welcome. I enjoyed writing it. What part of the hill Country did you visit and where do you plan to retire to?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancoGal View Post
Glad you found your spot.

The reason you saw so many deer is because it's their mating season, so they are already active; and they are probably glad we're finally getting some cool weather.

Mystic Shores is only about 20 minutes from Blanco. It's north on 281, whereas Bulverde is south. Check us out sometime.

Your builder sounds great; hope you're able to share his name with me. Our area is growing so much faster than we're accustomed, and people often ask me to recommend contractors.

The Hill Country is remote by city standards, but we enjoy being able to hear the birds.

I believe the title searches go back to Spanish Land Grants, if that's what you mean by property reports. They also have to tell you about any deed restrictions.

And yes, we do have mosquitos, but nothing like at the coast.

Did I understand you to say you saw a BEAR by the side of the road?

Anyway, welcome.

Thank you. Are you a realtor?

Oh well, hopefully the mosquitos are not anything like what I left in Indiana.

Yes, I saw a dead bear on the roadside. Looked like it had been there a while. It was small and black. I was either in Edwards County or Real County. There are large mountains in Edwards/Real county. Are there frequent bear citings in those counties or any other county, in hill country, for that matter.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Yes, I saw a dead bear on the roadside. Looked like it had been there a while. It was small and black. I was either in Edwards County or Real County. There are large mountains in Edwards/Real county. Are there frequent bear citings in those counties or any other county, in hill country, for that matter.
Don't you know everything is bigger in Texas? That was a racoon !

Seriously, though, there are a few bears left in Texas, but I did not expect them to be in the Hill Country. Then I went to TPWD web site:
Quote:
At least two subspecies of Black Bear are thought to occur in Texas: the Mexican Black Bear (Ursus americanus eremicus) and the New Mexico Black Bear (subspecies U. a. amblyceps). Both are found in West Texas in desert scrub or woodland habitats within scattered mountain ranges, predominantly the Chisos and Guadalupe Mountains. Both subspecies are state-listed as endangered in Texas. The Louisiana Black Bear (subspeciesU. a. luteolus) is on the federal threatened species list. It is not known to be found in Texas, although potential habitat exists in the eastern part of the state.
And later in the description:
Quote:
From the Big Bend to Austin, bear sightings have surprised biologists and the public alike. On the other hand, at least one sighting per year of Black Bears in the Hill Country is not uncommon. These individuals may be truly wild animals looking for suitable habitat or mates, but it is entirely possible that they are released or escaped captive animals. In any case, the chances of a recently established population of Black Bears in the Hill Country are remote. Central Texans are probably seeing wandering individuals from farther west.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 PM

Nope, this wasn't a raccoon. It was a little black furry bear. I saw a number of raccoons on the road. Funny though...no rabbits. I would have exspected lots of rabbits. I even had the opportunity to see an armadillo crossing the road. Cutest little thing. Missed it by three feet. I'm tellin ya...it was an interesting journey. I was looking for a road runner and then remembered those are in Arizona. I wouldnt have been surprised though if I saw it on the road. Saw near everything else. I guess that one citing of bear in the hill country was the one that I saw...so nobody else gets to see one, dead or alive, til next year...nah nah na nah.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:23 PM

65 posts, read 305,425 times
I was there in early September. Almost bought a samll parcel .7 arces on rte306. Alittle pricey for me at mystic shores. Close by there I saw 3 new homes that we went into on a Sunday. Was overlooking the lake from a distance. I called the seller and it was $375k for 2100sf. Sorry, I cannot afford that.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
I was looking for a road runner and then remembered those are in Arizona
Texas does indeed have roadrunners. Funny guys! Fast and bigger than you would expect. I used to see them all the time while out mountainbiking. They kind of stop and look at you then keep running. Meep meep.

Have to say that I have never seen a bear in central Texas though...lucky you

Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 PM

Whaaaattttt? I would have loved to have seen a road runner! What areas are they usually in?

I've NEVER seen a bear in California, either and California is full of bears. It is our state flag. I don't think bears commonly come out into the open, unless there are parks near the hills/mountains. Does Texas have mountain lions? We have plenty, here. One day, I saw a red fox running down the middle of a street. I live in the valley, surrounded by hills, so you never know WHAT is going to come out of the hills. I would have been lucky to have seen the Texas bear if it was alive. Unfortunately, the site of it was disturbing to me.
I wouldn't want to live in any of those hills, in Texas. I don't care how they say that bears are uncommon there...I would be the one who got the uncommon bear on the front porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas