Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:48 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I won't give specifics since there are two types of Texan categories which include urban and rural settings (and listing these things would be too long), but in terms of characteristics that the majority of Texan cities have, Houston outdoes Austin in various ways (which unless you are a transplant you would already know by now, or who knows, maybe being a Texan is irrelevant to you)
Well, in a way, you can indeed make the argument that Houston embodies Texas more than Austin does, especially from a historic basis. For one, the Texan Army achieved the decisive victory that led to their independence what is now the Houston Area. Also, Houston, for a time, was the capital of the new republic of Texas, before it was moved to Austin. With the historical argument, Houston would be right with San Antonio as being the city that most embodies Texas.

But, in terms of fitting the with the typical "Texas" image people have in mind, Austin does so more than Houston does.

Houston, essentially, is a coastal Southeastern US city, in the same vein as New Orleans, Tampa, or Charleston, that just so happens to be in the state of Texas. The historic architecture seen throughout the city reflects many styles common in the Southeast, like Victorian, or Colonial Revival. In addition, Houston, compared to Austin, has a much larger black population, and thus has the strong black presence within the city fabric, a trait commonly associated with the Southeast. Houston's nicknames, from Magnolia City, to Bayou City, show how steeped in the Southeast the city's culture is; Magnolia trees grow naturally in Houston, and are quintessential Southeastern plants, while bayous landscapes are common in the Southeast (especially in Louisiana). Also, Houston has the marine-style humid subtropical climate typical of the coastal Southeast, with frequent sea-breeze thunderstorms, and the city has alot of the typical Southeastern flora, like gnarly live-oaks draped with Spanish moss, pine trees, etc. Such features grant more of a Southeastern US feel rather than a stereotypical "Texan" feel.

Austin, on the other hand, has a stronger, Southwestern feel to it, in addition to the southern culture present, that combines to make a culture that is uniquely "Texan." The black population is not very large in Austin percentage-wise, so there is less of a black presence within the city fabric, unlike with much of the Southeast. The climate is also quite drier in Austin than in much of the Southeast (although far from desert-like either). The city also has the Longhorn culture (both in the sports, and historical variety).

Hence, I feel that, from a cultural root perspective, as well as city vibe, Austin fits the "Texan" image more than Houston does.

Quote:
Houston has the largest rodeo show in the state, of course it's not the only city to do rodeos.

Food scenery in Houston obviously outdoes that of Austin and Houston's heavy influence of Mexican migrants has caused the food scenery to have a big portion dedicated to Tex-Mex/ Mexican food. (Texas is influenced by Mexico whether people like it or not, so this is a definite characteristic of a Texan city).
Given the cultural roots of Houston, as well as the atmosphere given off by the elements of the city described, the Rodeo Show in Houston, honestly, feels quite tacked on, just a chance for Houstonians to get a taste of the "typical Texas-cowboy" culture the city never had; Houston began as an agricultural/coastal port town, much like many areas in the coastal South, and never had the strong cattle history that would warrant rodeo. If anything, the Rodeo belongs in Fort Worth.

Many sources express the amusement of the rodeo even being in Houston:
The real history of Houston explained - Houston Chronicle

The Tex-Mex is actually better in the Hill Country (including Austin), than it is in Houston. Another typical Texan food is beef Brisket BBQ, which is also stronger in the Hill Country than in Houston. Houston's BBQ scene has more of the chopped, pork BBQ that is typical of the Southeast.

Authentic Mexican, on the other hand, is better in Houston, given the more diverse Mexican population, but that is a different category than Tex-Mex. Same goes for Latin American food in general; Houston has a more diverse Latino population (from not only Mexico, but also from Carribean, Central and South America), allowing for greater diversity in options compared to Austin. And of course, Houston is more cosmopolitan than Austin, and thus has greater range of international food options.

Quote:
Although Houston does have a huge number of out of state residents, unlike Austinites (Austinians?) these individuals don't show any digust toward the state nor does the majority of these residents demonstrate that "Elitist" attitude that Austin prides itself in. This is a bit off track but the people from the East+ West coasts that move to Houston can at least get adapted to a Texan setting whereas Austin is just used a haven for people who want to escape over priced cities, but still be able to do the exact same crap they did in the first place that ruined their homw towns.

Don't get me wrong, I do have a bias against Austin but it isn't because of it being liberal, it's because it's liberal.

I think people will agree that before Austin was discovered and became over hyped, Texans had no problem with Austin being a bit weird and leaning towards the left (that isn't new, Dallas, S.A., and Houston lean to the left) but the problem is Austin seems to have attracted people from the far-extreme left which this is where my disliking of Austin appears from.

The "Far-left-extremist" would be the ones that preach about diversity, yet they live in white neighborhoods. Are the equivalent of "bible thumpers" just the exact opposite with extreme ideals of feminism and veganism (just to name a few). Preach about how "economic segregation is bad" yet they live in wealthy areas while ironically accusing "White, Christian, Wealthy, Males" of doing the exact same thing that they are doing.

There, that's my explanation, and yes I have been into Austin and it has changed a lot, and I'm not talking by looks (I'm okay with that) I'm referencing towards the whole culture setting and political views.
Well, I was talking strictly of cultural/atmospheric terms when I described Austin as feeling more typically "Texan" than Houston does. In Houston, you get a southern, Gulf Coastal feel, complete with a cosmopolitan flair I paid no mind to politics at all, as I don't think it makes any difference as to whether or not a city feels "Texan." And both Austin and Houston are quite liberal in their cores; Austin, though, is more card-carrying and "showy" about it, and they have more of a "granola-type" liberalism, where as Houston does better with the "greater-good" aspect of liberalism, having more social services in practice that help the poor than Austin does.

But, regardless, Texas is a big state, and with that comes diversity in vibes, culture, and influences from corner to corner. So, in the end, there are many different dimensions to what Texas is, and Houston, Dallas, and Austin all contribute equally towards creating the agglomeration of vibes, culture, and influences that is Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:42 PM

232 posts, read 360,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Houston is the more historically Texan city of the two, but no way is it the more typically Texan city. It's far too diverse for that.

And I'm certain that Tex-Mex makes up a larger perecentage of the Austin restaurant scene than it does in Houston. The latter is becoming just as infamous for its Asian and Gulf Southern food choices. Most Houstonians I know likely eat shrimp and rice more than they eat tacos. Now, if we're talking authentic Mexican food, then Houston definitely has an edge there, but authentic Mexican food is not a Texan thing.
I wasn't trying to specify, I was making huge generalizations but my point was on a Texan scale Houston still outdoes Austin whether it be by a little or a lot.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:05 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to specify, I was making huge generalizations but my point was on a Texan scale Houston still outdoes Austin whether it be by a little or a lot.
By being the much bigger city? Sure, I can see that.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM

32 posts, read 35,833 times
Texas in general is very affordable but I would have to say Houston is the most affordable or reasonable when looking at the cost of living.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:56 PM

167 posts, read 334,718 times
Thanks so much, everyone, for all the great information. I'm still not sure which city I'd like best but one thing is certain--I'd enjoy Houston or Austin much more than I do Chicagoland! Just gotta find a job there first....

Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
Houston is affordable in some suburbs. It is not super affordable. Why people think its dirt cheap is silly. I was recently paying 1600 a month for part of a duplex one bedroom with no central air. Quite common if you actually live in the city

Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,720 times
imo houston is awesome in the inner loop but very expensive for owning a home. many suburbs are afforadable but imo somewhat bland and unappealing except maybe some near the water. the commute into houston can vary from sucky to dreadful depending the suburb.

id prob go with dallas, as to me there are pockets all over the metro that have an edge over houston suburbs.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 PM

657 posts, read 739,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Houston is affordable in some suburbs. It is not super affordable. Why people think its dirt cheap is silly. I was recently paying 1600 a month for part of a duplex one bedroom with no central air. Quite common if you actually live in the city
Its still very cheap in working class areas. Nobody is forcing you to pay $1600 when you can get sonwthing for half of that and be inside the loop

Old 07-11-2015, 10:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Its still very cheap in working class areas. Nobody is forcing you to pay $1600 when you can get sonwthing for half of that and be inside the loop
Working class areas is not all or even most of the core of the city of houston anymore. The hood in
Dallas or X city is also affordable

Have you been to houston recently?

Old 07-11-2015, 10:38 PM

657 posts, read 739,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Working class areas is not all or even most of the core of the city of houston anymore. The hood in
Dallas or X city is also affordable

Have you been to houston recently?
Who said anything about the core? I said its cheap in working class areas. What are you arguing against in that statement? Theres a lot more to the city than inside 610 in the trendy parts. By the way, your snarky replies are getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas