Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
For a family with 4 boys, San Antonio as it has theme parks and a new children's museum.

Austin and Corpus Christi are an easy 1-2 hour drive from SA.

Dallas is kind of off on its own, nothing special about that typical Middle-America town. It is BLAND AND BORING!
You have no idea what your talking about. Again SA is unmatched in regards to topography and historic places. Amenities (including museums & theme parks) it goes to Dallas hands down. DFW doesn't have a much bigger population sitting idle at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 09:43 AM

291 posts, read 390,737 times
Default Just Returned from Texas

Original Poster...

We returned from Texas on Thursday. What an incredible experience, and what an incredible state. I am a very proud resident of the Garden State, New Jersey, but if I had to move, Texas would be my choice.

While driving through Louisiana, my wife asked if we were in Texas yet. I told her that I had a feeling that we would know when we were in Texas. Sure enough, that was the case. The "Welcome to Texas" sign was huge and in the shape of Texas. The Lone Star Flag - which flew everywhere - then continually reminded us that we were in Texas.

Our first stop was at San Jacinto Park. We did the monument and learned all about the battles with Mexico. Just incredible. Learning about the birth of Texas was a great way to start the trip. In the next twelve days, we saw Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, Austin (actually just drove past it but it was beautiful and definitely on our list for next time), Fort Worth, and Dallas.

Below is some of what we did over the two weeks:

San Jacinto Park
Houston Space Center
Dolphin watching boat ride in Galveston
Horse and carriage ride through Galveston Strand district
Tour of Minute Maid Park (Awesome!)
Kemah Boardwalk
San Antonio Western Shooting
The Riverwalk (One of the three most beautiful public places in the country along with Savannah & Sedona)
Tower of the Americas
Trolly Tour through all of S/A
San Jose Mission
Alamo
More Riverwalk and Boat Tour
Reunion Tower
El Mercado (My wife is originally from Mexico and loved this area)
S/A Western Shooting Range
S/A Botannical Gardens
S/A Japanese Gardens (Incredible)
Natural Bridge Caverns and Rope Walk
Fort Worth Stockyards (Shooting area, Western Rodeo, etc.)
Trolly Tour of Dallas (Very interesting)
The entire JFK experience (Surreal to walk through the area I had seen so many times on TV)
Historic West End
Lunch at El Feniz
Trinity Groves
...and we finished with a day of boating and tubing on Lake Lewisville.

Texas has more pride than any other state I have visited. For those who have never been there, the Lone Star is engraved everywhere, even on the columns that support the bridges. The state flag flies everywhere. There are even some business that have only the state flag flying. If you're not afraid of driving, try and visit as much of the state as possible. It is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you Texas for one of our best vacations ever!

Old 08-30-2015, 04:16 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,633 times
What a great review of the state I love. Yes. Texas is a proud state. Not many leave for New Jersey, but I can assure you, the few that do have the Lone Star flag on prominent display somewhere. Here in Florida, I have a large Texas shaped paver in my garden, along with my flag.

Ye shall know us by our flag.
Dax

Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
You sure packed a lot into your visit - BUT, you barely scratched the surface.

Lot's to see in Texas - we could all map out another great trip for you and it would ALL be new, different and just as exciting. Come on back some day. Glad you family enjoyed the trip.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:47 AM

437 posts, read 638,834 times
Awesome Buzkiteyear. Glad you had a great time. Definitely room for more next time.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
So glad y'all enjoyed your visit! Please come see us again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas