Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 198,565 times

Advertisements

A look through Google Street View makes me think Big Spring is definitely poorer. The housing looks more beat-up and the streets look dirtier. There also seems to be less trees and greenery, not that Borger is terribly verdant, but it is greener than Big Spring. My question now is about demographics in Big Spring. In Big Spring are poor whites visible there, or is it a racially/economically polarised place with a small class of middle-class and upper-middle-class whites surrounded by a larger majority of working poor Hispanics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 04:19 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slant-6-Dodge View Post
A look through Google Street View makes me think Big Spring is definitely poorer. The housing looks more beat-up and the streets look dirtier. There also seems to be less trees and greenery, not that Borger is terribly verdant, but it is greener than Big Spring. My question now is about demographics in Big Spring. In Big Spring are poor whites visible there, or is it a racially/economically polarised place with a small class of middle-class and upper-middle-class whites surrounded by a larger majority of working poor Hispanics?
People who live in Big Spring or elsewhere in Howard County are, for the most part, pretty well off. Don't let the looks of the surrounding area fool you into thinking people are poor.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
People who live in Big Spring or elsewhere in Howard County are, for the most part, pretty well off. Don't let the looks of the surrounding area fool you into thinking people are poor.
I don't know, bro, it looked pretty damn beat-up to me.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
I think Big Spring is your town.The Permian Basin has lots more production than the panhandle.There's the Alon Refinery.I used to live there and there are so many run down trashy areas all over the place.The ranchers in Howard Co probably have some money if they still got the mineral rights.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I think Big Spring is your town.The Permian Basin has lots more production than the panhandle.There's the Alon Refinery.I used to live there and there are so many run down trashy areas all over the place.The ranchers in Howard Co probably have some money if they still got the mineral rights.
Yeah, the more things I've read on this very useful forum the more I agree with you. Big Spring, Texas will be our location. I'll fly out there before shooting begins just to get a feel for the place.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the more things I've read on this very useful forum the more I agree with you. Big Spring, Texas will be our location. I'll fly out there before shooting begins just to get a feel for the place.

Thanks for the input, everybody.
awesome dude.please keep me updated to where i can buy a DVD when it gets to that point.feel free to use me as an extra or something.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 08-10-2015 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
awesome dude.please keep me updated to where i can buy a DVD when it gets to that point.feel free to use me as an extra or something.
Sure, we're going to need loads of extras - especially for the bar room scenes. Can you name me a few bars in town in Big Spring that are lively?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Sure, we're going to need loads of extras - especially for the bar room scenes. Can you name me a few bars in town in Big Spring that are lively?
Well that sounds like a plan.I am not for sure but they prolly all are dives.I live in Midland now so I am not familiar with the bar scene in Big Spring

Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Big Spring actually has some hills and such, so isn't flat. It also is a giant *%$& stain on the state, and is unsafe. I wouldn't choose it at all.
I agree. No place like Hell on earth than Big Spring. And Ugly? Yes, beyond all imagination.
But it is not a safe town, crime is rampant (narco cartels, drunken rednecks, KKK etc) Take an armed security detachment with you when you go.

Borger has the smell of a day old toot. One thing I remember about Borger when visiting as a child was the smell. There are many flat areas to the west, towards Phillips, that may suffice for filming.

Recently having traveled through the state via car, look at the twon of Rankin Texas. It is a very small oil field town.

Also look west of Amarillo towards Pecos at the old Yates oil patch. Due to Fracture drilling, it has become very alive with wells.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM

170 posts, read 299,224 times
as a film professional, you probably realize that the most comprehensive oil film ever set and filmed in texas would be giant, the edna ferber classic. i only mention this because marfa is very friendly to the arts and might even provide technical assistance and financial incentives. the landscape fills the bill, but you would have to avert your camera away from some of the modern art institutions. (or not).

borger and big spring are more historically attached to the the oil and refinery business and it's still a daily fact of life for many residents. their city councils may or may not have some type of film commission in town.

i grew up in borger during booming '60s. as i walked around downtown last month i got the feeling that a retro film could be put together there pretty easily. there's the old phillips building on south main that has been abandoned for decades, and a few sad looking little shotgun houses still remaining. because of the hills, you could get some awesome shots across the hills featuring the refineries, etc. for your bar scene you should duck your head (literally), saunter into the jolly pig and set at the bar for a coors draft. it would be a great film site if a camera would fit inside.

as far as big springs goes, it would probably work just as well, although it is bigger, has more gangs, and a an even bigger bible belt vibe, imho. if you're old enough to remember the 1969 midnight cowboy film with dustin hoffman and john voit the opening scene, before it moved to nyc, was a frustrated joe buck (voit) practicing he's quitting speech from his dishwashing job at the big springs hotel and catching a bus north. last time i was thru there, the hotel seemed to be under refurbishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas